Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink

Interesting news.

I just read a blurb that says cable and other same type distribution vendors cannot charge Canadians an extra tax or service fee like they do in the U.S.. The Big Boys like Rogers and Shaw are not too happy

Lucky you.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Source?

mazhurg
Premium
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to linicx
Are you talking about fee-for-carriage ruling from the Supreme Court?

»business.financialpost.com/2012/···mpanies/

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to camelot
I followed a link at the bottom of the NZ Precision Real Estate website to a Currency rate exchange link. The currency site acts a bit like a ticker tape. Blurbs in the right side column links to world money as it relates to governments. This is where I found the Canada decision, and a blurb about Putin in a tit for tat cat fight with the U.S. over human rights. I don't know the link.

It would be nice if every one in the world was treated fairly and kindly. Theocracies and Dictators are not generally very nice. I wish the old white men in our Congress would concentrate on the U.S. and not try to recreate the world in their image.
--

OverrRyde

join:2007-04-10
Waterdown, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to linicx
I don't understand, it seems the channels providers were asking for a compensation/fee to be given to them from service providers for having the channels in their lineup.

Why would the service providers not be happy?

Now if i understand this correctly, Rogers/Bell/etc don't pay for certain channels but they charge the client a premium to have have them and the studio/network gets squat?

There must be something im missing here

camelot

join:2008-04-12
Whitby, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
The entire system is extremely complicated, and doesn't really involve us at all. However, they will use us (the consumer) to get their points across and to help "make the other guy pay".

Since the distributors are also the carriers as well as the producers, the entire argument is rather silly.

Shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to linicx
Bell says they are sad that they can't charge you more
»bellmediapr.ca/bellmedia/release···yyy=2012

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
You guys don't know how lucky you are. We get Bravo, Homes on Holmes, some HGTV CN design shows, ID with a high price tag. $80US to get all on Satellite. Cable carries one or two for $60.

I remember when I had a big dish and could receive CN shows, parliament, news.. I would have been happy to pay for it. Canadian TV was that good. Bravo had good shows set n NYC that were fabulous and dropped in the US.

What I think it a bit comical is I can't get CN TV programming but I can pull radio late at night in my car from a place in CN called Yellow Jacket or Yellow Knife. It doesn't make good financial sense to not share good programming.
--

pjlahaie

join:2009-03-14
Ottawa, ON
reply to OverrRyde
said by OverrRyde:

Now if i understand this correctly, Rogers/Bell/etc don't pay for certain channels but they charge the client a premium to have have them and the studio/network gets squat?

There must be something im missing here

The channels in question are the channels they broadcast over the air.

When you look at where cable is coming from, it originally was just a way to get the analog signals to your home more cleanly than you could with rabbit ears. You were paying for the run of cable. Then came Pay TV.

Remember, the programming is *paid for* by the advertising we are forced to watch. If they charged Bell/Rogers, then they would just pass the buck on to us anyway, and we'd be double billed for the content.

Now, if they required Rogers to either pay or pass the signal on as-is without the terrible recompression they do, I'd be for that.