uniqs
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007 to brg

Premium Member

to brg

Re: How come my cell phone # receives no spam calls?

said by brg:

Counterpoint to Arne's point --

I've had my home DID (formerly ATT, now CC) on the Do Not Call list since that list was created. And, I'd always paid for either nonpub or nonlist. I never-never-never get telemarketing calls on that number...

How does non-pub or non-list help against robodialers? I imagine they are programmed to just dial all numbers in specified range like 212-111-1111 to 212-999-9999 (well, maybe excluding cell phone numbers if PXE's opinion above is correct).
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

said by JoeSchmoe007:

(well, maybe excluding cell phone numbers if PXE's opinion above is correct).

Here is some more info from the FCC:
»www.fcc.gov/guides/truth ··· all-list

It is unlawful for any person to make any call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made with express prior consent) using any automatic telephone dialing system or any artificial or prerecorded voice message to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, mobile telephone service or any service for which the called party is charged for the call. This prohibition applies regardless of whether the number is listed on the national Do-Not-Call list.

The law does contain an exemption if the phone number was ported from landline to cellular within the last 15 days.

Arne Bolen
User of Anveo Direct, 3CX and Qubes OS.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-21
Utopia

Arne Bolen

Premium Member

said by »www.fcc.gov/guides/truth ··· all-list :

it is unlawful for any person to make any call (other than a call made for emergency purposes or made with express prior consent) using any automatic telephone dialing system or any artificial or prerecorded voice message to any telephone number assigned to a paging service, mobile telephone service or any service for which the called party is charged for the call.

That must mean it is unlawful to call a VoIP phone number on a pay per minute plan, like Callcentric's Pay Per Minute Phone Number.

If VoIP providers charge customers $0.00000001/call it would be illegal for the crooks to call those phone numbers.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by brg:

Counterpoint to Arne's point --

I've had my home DID (formerly ATT, now CC) on the Do Not Call list since that list was created. And, I'd always paid for either nonpub or nonlist. I never-never-never get telemarketing calls on that number...

How does non-pub or non-list help against robodialers? I imagine they are programmed to just dial all numbers in specified range like 212-111-1111 to 212-999-9999 (well, maybe excluding cell phone numbers if PXE's opinion above is correct).

It doesn't. But robodialing is a relatively new concept. "Back in the day" calling wasn't as cheaap as it is now, and the telemarketers used actual lists -- even phone books or electronic dumps of D.A. So "back in the day," nonpub/nonlist helped immensely. It still does today, to some extent...