how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Support Guy

@bell.ca
reply to RickStep

Re: [Homephone] How to Locate a residential NID and FIBE

It is not recommended to connect IPTV Set Top Boxes to anything other than the Sagem 2864 modem itself if connecting Set Top Boxes via ethernet.
If using coax (HPNA) then the proper mode is using the appropriate Bell provided coax splitter.

Expand your moderator at work

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

4 edits
reply to Support Guy

Re: [Homephone] How to Locate a residential NID and FIBE

said by Support Guy :

It is not recommended to connect IPTV Set Top Boxes to anything other than the Sagem 2864 modem itself if connecting Set Top Boxes via ethernet.
If using coax (HPNA) then the proper mode is using the appropriate Bell provided coax splitter.

Thanks Support Guy.

Your suggestions have been added to the drawing.

The original version 2 drawing that was here has been deleted updated and reposted below.

Rick

vtanyav

@rogers.com
reply to RickStep

Hi
Just an interim thank you!
I am really grateful for the diagram and information!
GREATLY appreciated!
I am going over this and will be posting back!

RickStep
Premium
Hamilton, ON

2 edits

See updated drawing below.

Rick

RPT4Life

join:2012-12-18

Good drawing Rick. There's a couple small things you should know / change.

1) As long as it's groomed properly (proper HPNA splitter, all coax heads changed, proper high-frequency barrels, etc) and it's not running through what I've coined as "Franken-cable" (multiple small pieces barrelled in a row), FibeTV will work with both RG6 & the older RG59, and most houses already have the basic infrastructure in place. As long as there aren't hidden barrels or splitters in the wall, most coax will work just fine for this.

2) The max number of TVs you can possibly install on one FibeTV service is 6. Absolutely no more (unless you install a 2nd service of course). Any more and you will start getting problems.

3) Although you're limited by the number of ethernet ports on the back of the modem for the number of TVs you can have running off ethernet, it is possible to run all 6 TVs off of the coax, not just 4. Although rarely used, 6-way HPNA splitters are an option.

4) There is no wireless set top box option *yet*. I've heard initial trials didn't meet with much success, but recently heard there may be something coming down the pipe, but nothing yet

Hope this helps.

RickStep
Premium
Hamilton, ON

3 edits

said by RPT4Life:

Good drawing Rick. There's a couple small things you should know / change.
. . .
Hope this helps.

Thanks, RPT4Life. Your suggestions have been added to the latest version of the drawing, attached.

This drawing my still contain errors

Please post any errors and/or suggestions and I'll update the drawing as needed.

If you double click on the drawing, it will appear larger. Use the back button to go back to the previous page

Rick

RickStep
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to vtanyav

A follow-up:

While network switches can be bought at almost any computer store and cable TV splitters can be bought from The Source (Bell Canada owned) or Home Depot and other stores, hpna splitters may need to be purchased online.

One company that sells Holland devices is online at www.techtoolsupply.com.

The link for Holland hpna splitters is here:

»www.techtoolsupply.com/SearchRes···plitters

Rick

vtanyav

@rogers.com
reply to RickStep

Hi RickStep,
I Am REALLY SORRY for this inexcusable delay!
I appreciate the diagram

QUESTIONS

"Ground added from within building usually to a cold water pipe where the pipe enters the building. An alternative is the building ground at the electrical supply panel"

There is a "wire" (Grey, looks like a phone line) running from ?Tar paper" (I could tear the "tar paper" down) at the exterior wall (*could* be coming from the location that the BW enters building.) to the water meter.
1. Is this the same theory as what I should have now?
2. Could the wire be telephone wire related?
(Bell Canada techs *ignored* it.)
3. Should I take photos?

"Wireless TV boxes may be affected by the area where you live. If your area has many wireless users, there may not be enough spare (unused) channels to prevent signal drop outs"
I though FIBE was supposed to be safe from this?
(According to Bell)

"... Wireless phone systems are available with a wired base unit and 5 wireless phones ..."

Where?

said by RickStep:

A follow-up:

While network switches can be bought at almost any computer store and cable TV splitters can be bought from The Source (Bell Canada owned) or Home Depot and other stores, hpna splitters may need to be purchased online.

One company that sells Holland devices is online at www.techtoolsupply.com.

The link for Holland hpna splitters is here:

»www.techtoolsupply.com/SearchRes···plitters

Rick

Thanks - I have to shop online)

RickStep
Premium
Hamilton, ON
reply to vtanyav

You shouldn't need to deal with/worry about the ground especially if a new demarcation is installed. The Bell tech should be able to identify a ground within the building and make the installation safe. As far as an old Bell entrance is concerned, all issues are in play, where is it, will the old Bell wiring work properly and is the ground still connected properly.
Simply; ????????????????

Wireless phones are available "everywhere"; Best Buy/Future Shop, The Source, Canadian Tire, Canada Computers, Wal-Mart for new items and Factory Direct (www.factorydirect.ca for refurbished items and store locations) and others.

As for the availability of wireless Fibe TV, you would need to talk to a Bell rep. Wireless TV over Internet is new/future and it may only be available in certain locations if Bell has made it available at all at this point in time.

TV over RG-6 or Ethernet is a reality.

Rick

vtanyav

@rogers.com

said by RickStep:

You shouldn't need to deal with/worry about the ground especially if a new demarcation is installed. The Bell tech should be able to identify a ground within the building and make the installation safe. As far as an old Bell entrance is concerned, all issues are in play, where is it, will the old Bell wiring work properly and is the ground still connected properly.
Simply; ????????????????

I meant whether one could backtrack / extrapolate from the wire on the cold water pipe (or at the electrical supply panel) to the NID? (IOW Follow the wire backwards (assuming it is the wire))

Thanks