share rss forum feed

TruSm0ke

join:2005-07-21
Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

Intel Haswell i5 and i7 line-ups leaked

quote:
"The new chips will still be running on the same 22nm production process, but with a new architecture that should see the graphics performance of the HD 4600 graphics components doubling.

That should give us some rather tasty-performing Ultrabooks, and with the upgraded GT3E version of the HD graphics on the mobile side we should get some svelte gaming laptops too.

One of the interesting points is the increase in TDP from the 77W of the Ivy Bridge up to 84W in the new Haswell chips. I expect that’s mostly down to the beefier graphics components with higher clockspeeds."

"Sadly there’s no boost in the general clockspeed of the CPUs themselves. We’re still limited to 3.5GHz for the top-end i7-4770K and 3.4GHz for the i5-4670K.

It’s not a surprise to see Intel isn’t upping the core count either – sticking to four cores/eight threads for the i7 series and four cores/four threads for the i5."
- PCGamer.com

So basically, if you were expecting Haswell to be a big leap from current gen then you will probably be disappointed.

No additional cores, same clock speeds, LGA 2011, and a higher TDP from 77W to 84W. The ONLY seemingly beneficial improvement is that the IGP will be improved to offer "double the performance of current gen." Great for laptops/ultrabooks, useless for desktop users looking for a worthy upgrade from Sandy/Ivy Bridge.
Story: »www.pcgamer.com/2012/12/13/intel···-leaked/

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
I'm hoping the refinement of the 22nm fabrication and full implementation of the 3D/trigate transistors leads to better temps and better OCing than Ivy Bridge offered.

I am planning already to get the i5-4670K, pair it with my Corsair H100, and OC the hell out of it. I probably want to run 2x 8GB @ at least 1833, preferably as fast as 2400. Pair that with a 512 GB SSD and my current Radeon 7970 and you have a screaming rig.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
You got that right! Those parts would make any computer lover tingle. Sounds like a great plan for a super boss machine.

Which CPU do you currently use? If you already have an SSD, I'd probably look into 7970 Crossfire a step before another SSD purchase. If you already have an SSD, bulk up your graphics(if you need to) and THEN buy a bigger SSD.

Of course, this depends on *your* needs. For me, I'm working towards a triple monitor, 3x680SLI build at the moment. I might just stay with my i5 2500K another round. It runs at 4.8ghz w/8GB of ram @ 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 timings.

I also just bought a brand new pair of Astro A50's that should be arriving next week. I'm dreaming of surround gaming and Astro A50's right now. I just need 1 more 1080p 24" monitor, and a high end GPU(might stick with 560Ti SLI until 2013 for next gen GPU, not 680). Its super super tough not just going ahead and pulling the trigger on a 680. I think I might be best suited waiting and being patient.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
I have a Vertex 2 120GB (SATA II). So I definitely need a larger (and faster) SSD.

I bought the Sapphire Radeon 7970 3GB (Vapor-X), which is almost a 2.5 slot card. I was planning on going Crossfire, because I run a 27" monitor at 2560x1140 and a 20" secondary monitor at 1680x1050.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
Why SATA II? Old mobo?

I have a Samsung 830 256GB SSD (SATA III). It still has about ~155GB of space left on it because I'm so stingy with what I put on it. I just purchased a 2TB WD Caviar Black to accompany my 1TB Black(No RAID atm) so I can continue to be stingy w/my SSD space.

That Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X card is a beast in it's own right. Solid card you have there for sure. You probably don't have to worry about upgrading your GPU for awhile. At that point, as I'm sure you know, it's all about Crossfiring from here on out!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to TruSm0ke
said by TruSm0ke:

You got that right! Those parts would make any computer lover tingle. Sounds like a great plan for a super boss machine.

Which CPU do you currently use? If you already have an SSD, I'd probably look into 7970 Crossfire a step before another SSD purchase. If you already have an SSD, bulk up your graphics(if you need to) and THEN buy a bigger SSD.

Of course, this depends on *your* needs. For me, I'm working towards a triple monitor, 3x680SLI build at the moment. I might just stay with my i5 2500K another round. It runs at 4.8ghz w/8GB of ram @ 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 timings.

You are going to be SEVERELY bottlenecked if you go tri-SLI on Z68. I would make the jump to 2011 or Ivy Bridge-E if you plan on doing that. You are going to be very limited by your PCI bandwidth.
--

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to TruSm0ke
said by TruSm0ke:

Why SATA II? Old mobo?

I have a Samsung 830 256GB SSD (SATA III). It still has about ~155GB of space left on it because I'm so stingy with what I put on it. I just purchased a 2TB WD Caviar Black to accompany my 1TB Black(No RAID atm) so I can continue to be stingy w/my SSD space.

That Sapphire 7970 Vapor-X card is a beast in it's own right. Solid card you have there for sure. You probably don't have to worry about upgrading your GPU for awhile. At that point, as I'm sure you know, it's all about Crossfiring from here on out!

I'm running an x58 i7-920 now.
--

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Krisnatharok
Yeah, I know about being bottlenecked on Z68. It wouldn't be good without a new mobo. I'd upgrade my motherboard somewhere between my first high-end GPU and SLI. At that point though, I'd likely be past Haswell.

Sitting with a 1st gen i7, Haswell will be a very good upgrade for you.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

I'm hoping the refinement of the 22nm fabrication and full implementation of the 3D/trigate transistors leads to better temps and better OCing than Ivy Bridge offered.

I am planning already to get the i5-4670K, pair it with my Corsair H100, and OC the hell out of it. I probably want to run 2x 8GB @ at least 1833, preferably as fast as 2400. Pair that with a 512 GB SSD and my current Radeon 7970 and you have a screaming rig.

I've got my i5 Ivy Bridge overclocked to 4.0ghz. It currently maxes out under full load running OCCT at 60C air cooled.

There's no game out there that will put a load on these CPUs as bad as OCCT/Prime 95 do.

I've read about a lot of people running Ivy Bridges at 4.5ghz under air cooling.

But yeah, If you build that rig, that'll be a beast.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
My Sandy Bridge i5 2500K is overclocked to 4.8ghz, water cooled (closed loop Corsair H60), and temps max out at around ~76C running Prime 95. Ivy Bridge is known to run hot, especially when you consider that 4ghz isn't an overly large overclock and your temps are still 60C(which, mind you, isn't terrible). Do you know how many volts your CPU is using @ 4ghz?

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by TruSm0ke:

My Sandy Bridge i5 2500K is overclocked to 4.8ghz, water cooled (closed loop Corsair H60), and temps max out at around ~76C running Prime 95. Ivy Bridge is known to run hot, especially when you consider that 4ghz isn't an overly large overclock and your temps are still 60C(which, mind you, isn't terrible). Do you know how many volts your CPU is using @ 4ghz?

Stock voltage. If I go any higher in the future, which I'll probably bump up it up to 4.2 or 4.3ghz, then I'll adjust the voltage.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
You should be able to raise your OC to 4.2 or 4.3ghz with a minimal voltage increase. Might not even need to touch voltage. I know Ivy Bridge is more fickle in regards to voltage than Sandy Bridge but I've read very positive results of people getting up to atleast 4.5ghz positively stable. But I'd stick with an overclock of 4.3ghz until you atleast get a better cooler.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by TruSm0ke:

You should be able to raise your OC to 4.2 or 4.3ghz with a minimal voltage increase. Might not even need to touch voltage. I know Ivy Bridge is more fickle in regards to voltage than Sandy Bridge but I've read very positive results of people getting up to atleast 4.5ghz positively stable. But I'd stick with an overclock of 4.3ghz until you atleast get a better cooler.

Yeah I'm running a 92mm Zalman. So far at 4.0ghz, it's completely stable and runs awesome.

If I can get to 4.2 or 4.3 on stock voltage or slight increase, that would be awesome.

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA
reply to TruSm0ke
AVX2 and FMA theoretically double MIPS&FLOPS so it can be big leap for software that uses it. There should be a measureable IPC increase for other software too.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Krisnatharok
said by Krisnatharok:

Kris, what do you expect the price of that 4670k to be? A ballpark figure will be acceptable.

As we've talked about before, I'm planning on a big overhaul of my rig switching from AMD to Intel in the spring...I was just wondering if waiting for Haswell would be worth it, if it's in the budget.

I also expect the release of the new technology to drive down the cost of current LGA 2011 processors, is this a correct assumption?

With this news I'm wondering if waiting until late spring to upgrade will be the best choice.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
said by McBrain:

said by Krisnatharok:

I also expect the release of the new technology to drive down the cost of current LGA 2011 processors, is this a correct assumption?

Don't count on it. Same thing with GPU's. They never seem to drop in price much.

Also I think the Ivy Bridge i5 3570k was right around $300.00 when it released.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Damn double posts...second one in as many days.

I've gotta get better at this internet thing.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Ghastlyone
I'd drop 3 bills on an i5-4670k.

This will be the closest I ever get to building a "dream" rig. It'll be a poor man's dream, but I don't see myself having the opportunity to build another computer just because I want to for a while.

Ghastlyone
Premium
Las Vegas, NV
If you build one man, you'll love it.

My i5 3570K absolutely screams. So far, there's nothing I cannot run completely maxed out.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
reply to McBrain
Maybe with some more information about your current system, we can give better advice on whether an upgrade is worth it or not. Also, equally important, what are your needs? What do you plan to do with it?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Currently I'm going with:

AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition @4.0GHz
ASRock Extreme 3 970
MSI R7870 HAWK TwinFrozrII
750w PSU
2x4GB DDR3 1600 Corsair Vengeance RAM

I want to switch from AMD to Intel. I plan on keeping the GPU and getting another to CrossFire. I'll also be going from 1 23" monitor to 3 in a trifinity setup (or going to a Korean 27" 2560x1440).

Budget is somewhere in the vicinity of $1000 for CPU, Mobo, monitor(s), and GPU. I'm still in the planning stage. I won't be making any moves until roughly March.

Right now it looks like I can get an I5-3570k, Mobo, and GPU from newegg for roughly $600. That leaves ~400 for the monitor and maybe a couple extra bucks for 8 more GB of RAM.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
The AURIA 27" is $400 from Microcenter (I have one and love it). The advantage being that you can get it shipped to you AND you get a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy.

With the Shimians/Catleaps are you on your own should you get a faulty one off Ebay.
--

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
said by Krisnatharok:

The AURIA 27" is $400 from Microcenter (I have one and love it). The advantage being that you can get it shipped to you AND you get a 30-day no-questions-asked return policy.

From what I've seen, the other two from ebay are relative in price and yes, definitely are more risky. I've been leaning towards an AURIA from the start.

Conversely, there are a dozen different 23" monitors in the $109-$139 range on amazon.

I would more than likely end up only paying $40-$50 more for the trifinity set-up. Obviously going that route would have pros/cons in comparison to the AURIA...I think a lot of that choice will depend on mood at the time of purchase.

Edit: that's $40-$50 more for just the monitors...doesn't count the dongles and shit I'd have to buy.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Moos
Tequilablob
Premium
join:2008-12-11
Salt Lake City, UT
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Comcast
I started with the 3 monitor setup and ended up not liking it, so I bought a korean and absolutely love it. In addition to Auria if you dont feel comfortable buying overseas, checkout overlord. you can even get a 120hz 2560x1440 27 inch if they ever get em in stock.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to TruSm0ke
Click for full size
Haswell Leaked Line-Up
To get back on-topic, I've found another leak on the new i5 & i7 line-ups. These are slated to be released Q2 2013.

quote:
"Tech rumor site VR-Zone claims to have an authentic list of Intel’s first wave of “Haswell” desktop processors, and while we can’t confirm it outright, the parts listed seem highly plausible. Of the 14 CPU’s detailed, 6 fall under the category “standard power” with TDP’s of 84W, and 8 are referred to as “low power”, with TDP’s ranging between 65W - 35W."

"Perhaps the most interesting tidbit of information here is the omission of Core i3. All of the chips on the list fall under the Core i5 and Core i7 family, and range from 3.0GHz to 3.9GHz when you factor in the Turbo Boost. Dual core parts also appear to be on the way out. Only one of the 14 CPU’s isn’t quad core, and Hyper Threading continues to be a Core i7 Exclusive."

"Integrated graphics potential is also getting a bump. All of the Haswell desktop parts here will have Intel HD 4600, and depending on how it fairs in the benchmarks, 4600 may finally lay the kiss of death on the sub $200 discrete graphics market." - Maximum PC

What is most interesting to me is the lack of K processor options. Perhaps they noticed people were getting such large overclocks with the K series that they were losing money on people not upgrading or it was cannibalizing their upper-tier processors. As it looks from that chart, they are doing away with K processors UNLESS you're willing to drop a pretty penny(i'm sure) on the i5 4670K or i7 4770K if you want overclocking.

And it also appears like the socket debate can be put to rest. It's going to be Socket 1150, supposedly.

Source: »www.maximumpc.com/article/news/r···_release

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
Sandy Bridge had only two initial “K” series processors at launch. The Core i7 2600K and the Core i5 2500K. This was later supplemented with the Core i5 2550K and Core i7 2700K. These were late entries though.

Ivy Bridge again had only two initial K series parts, Core i7 3770K and Core i5 3570K.

Therefore I see nothing different about Haswell being launched with two K series parts such as the 4770K and 4670K. In fact it’s a fairly predictable pattern. Hopefully pricing will be similar too although anyone with Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge parts would seem to have little reason to upgrade.

The BGA only processor rumor was presumably for processors after Haswell so in this respect nothing is proved or disproved. Although Intel has already made a statement that they will keep sockets for the foreseeable future,.....or something like that.

***Edit***

I see you meant the LGA socket pin count. As far as I can recall LGA1150 was never in dispute.

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
@Octavean - You're right.

As for the socket, because these have only been leaks and not official word from Intel. Many people have discussed what they think the next official socket will be for these processors. Because both Ivy & Sandy Bridge are sockets LGA 1155 and the Extreme Edition 3960X is LGA 2011... there is room for discussion on what Intel's next socket will be. Especially since nobody knows for sure at this point.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
My understanding is as follows:

LGA1155 had its final processor upgrade with Ivy Bridge. LGA2011 will presumably receive an Ivy Bridge-E upgrade in mid 2013 but will receive no new chipset and no Intel Thunderbolt support (since an Intel video subsystem is a requirement of the spec). Haswell will use LGA1150 but there may be a different socket for servers based on Haswell.

I don’t consider anything final until we hear it from Intel or see the new hardware.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Moos
I've looked at the overlord site, and I'm not too stoked about 1) the price...nearly $600 for the 120Hz monitor, and 2) if I wanted one I'd have to get on the waiting list by paying for the monitor now...that just seems shady to me.

I'll either go with an AURIA, or put my name on the waiting list for a Catleap for free at 120hz.net

TruSm0ke

Michigan
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by McBrain:

... or put my name on the waiting list for a Catleap for free at 120hz.net

Thanks for the link, I've been curious about these displays.

EDIT: The site owner/forum moderator drives a sweet, brand new BMW(shown in forum). Someone's making some very good money selling these displays to Americans!