spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

heymang

join:2008-07-03

[STB] Possible to get a STB w/ HDMI output if no HD subscription

I have Digital Economy plus a subscription to a premium channel which gets me a Comcast STB box.

I get SD only through the STB and it's hooked up to an HDTV, so I'm not getting the most out of my TV.

I only want to receive the local network channels in HD which I do get now through clearQAM. Does anyone know if Comcast could provide me with a STB box with HDMI output so I can get the local networks in HD? To clarify, I don't want to pay the HD Technology fee as I don't want all their channels in HD, I just want to see the local networks which is already coming through but not output by my current STB. Thanks!

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

Re: [STB] Possible to get a STB w/ HDMI output if no HD subscrip

You may or may not be able to get a newer box with HD capabilities, but it may be difficult. It depends on who you talk to. Without paying the HD Tech Fee, even an HD box will lock out ALL HD channels. The only advantage you would get is maybe a slightly better picture through HDMI.

heymang

join:2008-07-03
I didn't know they would block the local network HDs. That's weird as I get it now through them via clearQAM and it's also available OTA. I guess there's no real point them in trying to acquire the box then. Thanks for the response.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
You can use a splitter and have one cable go directly to the TV to get the local channels in HD and the other cable go to the DTA to get the other channels. Select the appropriate input on your TV. This should work until Comcast encrypts the QAM signal.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to andyross
What happens if you drop down to limited basic and pay the small HD fee what happens to the premium channel that under the old cable rule you must be able add premium channels to it.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to Russ6
said by Russ6:

You can use a splitter and have one cable go directly to the TV to get the local channels in HD and the other cable go to the DTA to get the other channels. Select the appropriate input on your TV. This should work until Comcast encrypts the QAM signal.

Yes, here is the setup that Comcast suggests:

Connect a digital adapter to an HDTV
»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···to-hdtv/

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to heymang
Our boxes actually disable hdmi if the hd fee is not on the account. It may vary by market and equipment maker but most of them are disabled without the fee.