uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to BronsCon

to BronsCon

Re: Liquid Cooled LED Bulbs

I raised that issue a page or two back.
Someone said that the heat source is in the center (where you see the LEDs themselves). So it doesn't matter if it's upside down, the convection effect will occur, just less effectively than if the heat source was at the bottom of the bulb and the bulb was upright.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon

Upon first appearances, I thought what I was seeing was a reflection off the glass globe of the bulb. Looking a bit more closely, I do see what you are saying. These bulbs should be fine for inverted mounts.

However, there's still the issue of convection carrying the heat from the lower LEDs up to the upper LEDs in horizontal mount installations. Depending on how the driver circuit is designed, this may also be a non-issue, as the LEDs at the top of the bulb in such an installation aren't really projecting much useful light, so they may not be missed if they burn out. If the driver circuit is designed such that each LED is independent of the others, the net result of such a failure would simply be less electricity used, less heat generated, and less light being "wasted"; if one LED going out ends up taking the entire bulb with it, then this is a fatal flaw for perhaps the most common installation of the incandescent bulbs these are intended to replace.