Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 edit
reply to dp

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin(s) for December 11, 2012

Windows Update KB2753842 Will Make Some Fonts Stop Working

quote:
So what is the problem with this update? While it claims to prevent certain rogue (infected) OpenType fonts from working, it will stop all PostScript Type 1 (PFB) and all OpenType fonts containing Type 1 data from working in applications such as CorelDRAW and QuarkXpress. There may be other programs affected as well. Since this update is so new, more data is coming available all the time.
ETA: This quote is somewhat misleading. CorelDraw and Quark aren't the only programs having problems with this update; other affected programs include Adobe (Photoshop, AI) and many others.

Microsoft lists this as a security update, but they've hit a large number of industries hard, from graphics software to newspapers, etc. The only current workaround is to uninstall the update.

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
So are home users having any font issues with KB2753842?

Wondering too why it has differing KBs for some. I see 262KB and 520KB. Why the different size?

I'm thinking about holding up on this one for a bit. Hoping my HIPS will save me if need be.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
said by planet:

So are home users having any font issues with KB2753842?

Definitely. It just depends on what they use.

I uninstalled it and hid it for now to keep it from coming back. It's reasonable to believe Microsoft will come up with a better solution eventually, although "when" depends on how complicated it turns out to be.