Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hoolahoous

join:2004-08-25
Red Valley, AZ
reply to brg

Re: Skype's Founder To Offer Free Web Access for Homes

as with most of the things, there are few catches for free services though.

1) you MUST use atleast 5 mb's every month with this mifi device. otherwise you get charged a fee

2) rounding is to nearest MB. and their device does a 'heartbeat' to their server (each one costing 1 MB). So if you leave your device on, even without using, you will exceed the 'free quota' in few days.

If you are careful and not trip over these traps, it might be a good deal.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

quote:
2) rounding is to nearest MB. and their device does a 'heartbeat' to their server (each one costing 1 MB). So if you leave your device on, even without using, you will exceed the 'free quota' in few days.

Source?

Generally speaking, infrastructure tax is not counted as usage. The data must actually flow through the NAT for it to count.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
reply to hoolahoous

A MB for each keep alive? Seriously? Is there documentation for that? Simple UTP packets do that with a few bytes.

hoolahoous

join:2004-08-25
Red Valley, AZ

said by garys_2k:

A MB for each keep alive? Seriously? Is there documentation for that? Simple UTP packets do that with a few bytes.

ask me how I know.. I bought one. But I could be wrong, so check the forums at slickdeals. pages full of details.
Now I just turn it one when needed and then quickly power it off after I am done.

ropeguru
Premium
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 edit
reply to hoolahoous

While they mention nothing about a heartbeat, according to their terms, the data is rounded to the nearest tenth MB, not the nearest MB.

At the end of each broadband session we will calculate your broadband data usage rounded up to the nearest 0.1 megabyte. For example, if your actual data usage is 1.32 megabytes, you will be charged for 1.4 megabytes of data usage. We'll deduct the total charge from your Credit Account balance at the end of each session

So either you are incorrect, or they are not adhering to their own terms.

»www.freedompop.com/service_plan_terms.htm

Edit: Additionally, there is no mention in the AUP, Terms of Service, or the Service Plan, Equipment, and Payment Terms about a minimum usage per month on the free plan. If they were to pull this after I subscribed and it still was not included in any of their documentation, they would have a legal fight on their hands.