how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cz9h3d

join:2012-12-13
Rochester, MI

[DTA] DTA only gets Limited Basic???

I upgraded my Mom's service, including moving from Limited Basic to Standard Basic channels (Triple Play Starter XF). Her existing DTA's will not get the new channels (i.e. 23-68), and Comcast tells me I need to upgrade to digital cable boxes to move beyond the Limited Basic channels.

In my home (different city), my DTA's get all of these channels. They say it's a function of the equipment in my Mom's city. They told me it will take another $8.95/month x 2 to get the channels I just added - they told me this after they initiated the service.

Oh, Executive Support got involved, and will give it to me for $4.95/each for 6/months, then $9.95/each after.

Given they can't even give a consistent answer on pricing - are they telling me the truth regarding the DTA's not able to support the Expanded Basic channels in my Mom's city? (Walled Lake, MI).

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
Not sure if it's the same in all areas (like your Mom's), but in this area, the DTAs can receive/decrypt the "Expanded Basic" tier of channels. For "Preferred" tier and above (incl. On-Demand and PPV) you need to use a full digital cable box.

According to what was said in another thread (»Re: [DTA] What DTAs is Comcast acquiring that are brand new), however, the new HD-DTAs that are coming soon will have "more flexible security mechanisms that will allow for the support of higher-level tiers, including premium cable TV services."

cz9h3d

Rochester, MI
In my own area, my DTA's support "Expanded Basic" channels too, but 20 miles away at my Mom's they are telling me they don't.

HD is not of a concern...

I'm just interested in whether anybody else has a situation where their DTA's are only good for Limited Basic. Am I getting good information from Comcast on this??? Or am I getting misinformed people who only want to sell me more boxes for more $$$?

I wonder what would happen if I took one of my DTA's (which get Expanded Basic) to her house?

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
reply to cz9h3d
said by cz9h3d:

I upgraded my Mom's service, including moving from Limited Basic to Standard Basic channels (Triple Play Starter XF). Her existing DTA's will not get the new channels (i.e. 23-68), and Comcast tells me I need to upgrade to digital cable boxes to move beyond the Limited Basic channels.

I just went through this VERY same thing when I went to x3 play - you got (another) one of their total, clueless MORONS on the phone.

The problem is VERY simple; they need to remove the (limited) basic analog flag off her account, which is what is driving the limited basic channel mapping currently on her DTA's, from being upgraded to the (full) expanded basic mapping. And since I have already been down this road several other times w/other clients & already knew EXACTLY what the issue was, CC would NOT listen to me whatsoever, & just kept saying "we need to send a tech out to remove a trap" - which does NOT even exist on my line!

Unfortunately, I posted my issue in the CC direct forum here, (I assume you did the same thing???) & got a clueless Executive Support moron that just kept repeating the SAME thing out of her "handbook". Totally frustrated, I made one, last, ditch call & by some miracle, got a CSR that knew EXACTLY what I was talking about. She had to IM her supervisor, who went into my account & removed the limited basic flag off my account. Once this was done, like magic ALL the extra channels popped right into my DTA's & DVR box, like they should have all along.

Either try the CC direct forum here, or give a shot at calling the normal CC number - try specifically telling the CSR to "remove the limited basic analog flag off your mother's account" & THEN have them send out a rehit to her boxes. I can (almost) guarantee you this will fix her problem - good luck!

cz9h3d

Rochester, MI
Ha! I knew there must be someone who knew something out there!

BTW, I am already talking to "Executive Support" via my post on their facebook page - talk about a page with a lot of hurt on it!

Anyways, their suggestion was to offer set top boxes for only $4.95 for six months, then $9.95 after. Of course, my CSR offered them for $8.95. The fact I got two prices didn't give me any warm/fuzzies.

I will take your valuable advice and see what kind of progress I can make!!!

goofy01

join:2004-02-05
Hammond, IN
reply to cz9h3d
Try posting here. ComcastSteve has helped many before with this.
»Comcast Direct

Only comcast support and yourself can see what is posted here.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to cz9h3d
Standard Basic you should be in starter.

Also Triple Play comes with 1 full box.

Phugg

join:2004-09-30
Riverbank, CA
reply to cz9h3d
I see this a lot in the field , it is a headend code on the account (as stated before). In our area that is the case. It can be remied very easily , just needs changed in the billing system. Froma techs side it is a simple call in to our support (different than yours) and they change and send a signal. If you need a tech visit, it should be NON charged service call.

SPOOZ

join:2011-06-20
Lafayette, CO
reply to cz9h3d
I would be interested to hear if you make any progress with this.

I'm in a similar situation where I recently downgraded from Digital Starter to Digital Economy. I have one cable box (a DCT2000), and three DTAs.

The cable box has the correct channels, but the DTAs now only have the Limited Basic channels. The DTAs used to have the Digital Starter channels, but Comcast took away more channels than they should have when I did the package change.

I was told the DTAs would not work on the Digital Economy tier (after the fact of course) and that I would need to replace each one with a full cable box.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
said by SPOOZ:

I was told the DTAs would not work on the Digital Economy tier (after the fact of course) and that I would need to replace each one with a full cable box.

True

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to Joe12345678
said by Joe12345678:

Also Triple Play comes with 1 full box.

Digital Starter does, preferred does not include it.

dishrich

Springfield, IL
said by trythisfirst :

False, preferred very MUCH does...

cz9h3d

Rochester, MI
reply to cz9h3d
I sent along the details to request they take the analog flag off her existing DTA's to my Executive Support person. What I got back is:

"I have verified with our technical team that the additional boxes on the account are not digital and are not capable to have digital.
Please let me know if you would like to order any additional digital boxes."

Soooo.... again, to clarify. I want to get the "standard basic" channels via DTA boxes, just like I do at my Comcast house. Does this response have anything to do with my issue? Is is possible that on her system, the standard basic channels need a set top box? Or does this response just reinforce their inability to understand what needs to be done?

I'm really getting tired of this...
I will go and post in the Comcast support forum here...

dishrich

Springfield, IL
said by cz9h3d:

Or does this response just reinforce their inability to understand what needs to be done?

YES

I'm really getting tired of this...
I will go and post in the Comcast support forum here...

When you do it this time, do it the way Phugg above says:

quote:
it is a headend code on the account (as stated before). In our area that is the case. It can be remied very easily , just needs changed in the billing system.
Hopefully you can get now get someone with the IQ slightly above a moron to now understand...

Also, another thought...do you know if your mother has any friends, relatives, etc. that live in this same town, & have standard cable service w/DTA's? If you could get the name of one of those customers that has standard service on DTA's, then you would have Comcast by the b#%*'s, that they are full of it.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by trythisfirst :

False, preferred very MUCH does...

Have you signed up lately? This was supposed to have been taken away.

SPOOZ

join:2011-06-20
Lafayette, CO
reply to trythisfirst
said by trythisfirst :

said by SPOOZ:

True

So can someone explain why the DTAs can get Limited Basic and Digital Starter, but not Digital Economy?
And why was I not warned by the Comcast person on the phone that I was moving to a tier of channels that the DTA is not able to receive?

rendrenner

join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI
reply to cz9h3d
As far as pricing goes, the Digital Boxes (DCT style) that give you access to ON Demand and the guide are 9.95 per month. They were 8.95 a little while ago but went up. There are various promos that may make them cheaper at different prices, but the standard price is 9.95 per month.

If you are calling and reaching a call center in Michigan, you need to ask them to remove the channel map from DTA's. Be prepard to give them the box humbers. Should be on the bottom and possibly on the back. There is no limited basic analog flag on your account. Its the right concept, but not the right wording to describe what you need. Tell them to remove the channel map.

There are a few limitations to the DTA's depending on what market you are in. If your area has completed the limited basic channels channel cut, meaning you cannot view any channels without a box, it impacts what the DTA can do.

DTAs cant be used for digital economy unless the limited basic cut has been completed.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to SPOOZ
said by SPOOZ:

said by trythisfirst :

said by SPOOZ:

True

So can someone explain why the DTAs can get Limited Basic and Digital Starter, but not Digital Economy?
And why was I not warned by the Comcast person on the phone that I was moving to a tier of channels that the DTA is not able to receive?

From what I understand, "Digital Economy" is a hybrid tier between Limited Basic and Digital Starter, which includes all the Limited Basic channels, plus some selected ones from the Digital Starter tier.

Since a DTA can only be set to decrypt all or none of the Digital Starter tier channels, if you were allowed to use a DTA with Digital Economy service, it would be set/restricted to only provide the Limited Basic channels.

See:

[DTA] question on Digital Economy and DTAs
»[DTA] question on Digital Economy and DTAs

and:

No DTA's with Digital Economy?
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1153651

rendrenner

Grandville, MI

1 edit
Edit:

Forums are correct. Internal documentation is worded funny. DTA's are available only to customers with Digital Economy if the All digital move has been completed. The boxes will only display the limited basic lineup.

dishrich

Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to trythisfirst
said by trythisfirst :

Yes, a couple month's ago & I DO get 1 FREE full box as part of my pkg. Also, all of the latest pricing we just got this month, ALL of the TV packages w/Family, Digital Economy & above, DO include 1 full digital box.

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to rendrenner
said by telcodad:

See:

[DTA] question on Digital Economy and DTAs
»[DTA] question on Digital Economy and DTAs

and:

No DTA's with Digital Economy?
»forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-···/1153651

said by rendrenner:

Edit:

Forums are correct. Internal documentation is worded funny. DTA's are available only to customers with Digital Economy if the All digital move has been completed. The boxes will only display the limited basic lineup.

Thanks rendrenner See Profile for editing your post and clarifying things for us!

rendrenner

Grandville, MI
Heh. One document stated that DTA's can be used with Economy. That, unfortunately is all it stated. Kind of implies a lot. The other I consulted to find out when Walled Lake competed its B1 cut was a little more detailed. FWIW Walled Lake just completed its B1 cut on 12 Dec 2012. That milestone being passed now allows for customers with Economy to use DTA's on their account but they will only display Basic.

As to the OP's original concern, the DTA should still display the channels in the Digital Starter package. If there is a channel map for Ltd Basic on the outlet for that box, it needs to be removed.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by trythisfirst :

Yes, a couple month's ago & I DO get 1 FREE full box as part of my pkg. Also, all of the latest pricing we just got this month, ALL of the TV packages w/Family, Digital Economy & above, DO include 1 full digital box.

We had a sheet showing a actual date that preferred would get charged for all equipment. Either they backed down or it is about to happen lol.

cz9h3d

Rochester, MI
reply to cz9h3d
FWIW, ComcastSteve in the support area is going to try to help. Fingers crossed.

Oh, I noticed that my Mom's online account still suggests she only has limited basic and telephone - i.e. it does not reflect her Triple Play Starter XF package. Her bill for December also shows the same.....

If the DTA's should in fact be getting more than just the limited basic channels, it's a sad state of affairs that I've spent 2 weeks and have talked to countless CS agents, executive support, etc, and all they can do is sell me more equipment. I guess this means that 99.9% of the customers are getting screwed?