share rss forum feed

isampark32

@184.149.168.x

[Windows] Business-Grade Router Advice Request

Click for full size
Left: Modem, Right: Router
Click for full size
LAN Hub
Hello I am in need of help regarding our small office IT network upgrade.

First of all, here is summary of our current status.

1. We have a Business-Grade Dedicated DSL internet modem.
2. It connects to a Residential-Grade Router (which I believe is the bottleneck to continuous connection disruptions)
3. Router then connects to a hub of LAN throughout the office to about 16 desktops.
4. Router also connects to about 10 wireless devices.

Problem : We have total internet disconnects 2-3 times a day, each time we need to reboot the router to make it back working.

Situation : We do not have budget to change entire infrastructural structure. Only for ~$500 budget for a new router.

Question : Maintaining current setup (LAN Hub to 16 desktop computers and 10 Wireless usages), which would be the best business-grade router under $500 budget?

2nd Question : Would changing the router even be the right solution for us? If not, what do we need to change?

Attached : Picture of our Modem and current Router, and LAN Hub

jimbopalmer
Tsar of all the Rushers

join:2008-06-02
Greenwood, MS
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

»www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collate···225.html

»www.amazon.com/Cisco-Small-Busin···ds=rv042
--
I tried to remain child-like, all I achieved was childish.

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to isampark32

»routerboard.com/RB1200

We use Routerboard / Mikrotik almost exclusively here. Got a 1200 and a couple of 1100's. They're actually quite powerful.

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

1 edit
reply to isampark32

Looking at your pictures, looks like a Cisco 800-series router -- can you read off the exact model of it? --
a dell powerconnect 2624 GigE switch, and I can't make out what the silver box is.

Couple questions :
1) when a disconnect occurs, which router do you need to reboot? the Cisco 800 or the silver one?
2) Is the Cisco 800 owned by you or the telco (Bell, from the looks of it)? Do you have config
access to it?
3) how fast is your internet package?
4) if you take the silver box out of the picture, how stable is internet?
5) if the Cisco 800 is recieving the DSL, a)is it getting it via an RJ45 connection or an RJ11 connection, and b)
what's the light status when a disconnect occurs?

Pretty sure that Cisco device with Bell's label on it is a 87x series, in which case they're rated for ~12Mbps ,
and if its not having issue when your disconnects occurs, I'd talk to Bell about reconfiguring the 800 series
to serve as your gateway / firewall (and possibly LAN DHCP server), and keep the powerconnect for the
central LAN switch. Then you just have to worry about your wireless.

Just my 00000010bits

Regards

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to isampark32

First check out what hellfire says, if you dont have to do anything but possibly get a wifi router (acting as an Access Point) or not even that........ would be your best course of action!!

otherwise this is a decent straightforward VPN firewall that will meet your needs within your price range.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33181088

»www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Unified-Sec···yxel+usg

You may be able to do quite well for less.
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33181137

»www.amazon.com/ZyXEL-Unified-Sec···yxel+usg

If you were looking for wifi as well, many consumer wifi routers can be setup as an AP.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10

ZyXel USG50 or USG100 should do just fine. Links in above post.

isampark32

@184.149.168.x
reply to HELLFIRE

Thanks for the suggestions.

Clarification on the models of the devices:

Modem: Leased by Bell, Cisco 800-series
Router: Linksys WRT54GX
LAN Hub: Dell Powerconnect 2624

Regarding Hellfire's questions, here are the answers:

1) when a disconnect occurs, which router do you need to reboot? the Cisco 800 or the silver one?
- I only need to reboot Silver(Linksys WRT54GX)
2) Is the Cisco 800 owned by you or the telco (Bell, from the looks of it)? Do you have config access to it?
- It is owned by Telco(Bell), and they did not give us config access. I am only given config instruction that I can use on my Router (DNS, Gateway address, etc)
3) how fast is your internet package?
- download speeds of up to 16 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 1 Mbps
- Package detail here : »www.bell.ca/shop/Sb_viewProduct.···_INT_DED
4) if you take the silver box out of the picture, how stable is internet?
- It is then very stable.
5) if the Cisco 800 is recieving the DSL, a)is it getting it via an RJ45 connection or an RJ11 connection, and b)
what's the light status when a disconnect occurs?
- a) via RJ11 Connection
- b) I do not have exact record of light status but, if recalled correctly, either RXD and TXD lights both go off or only one of them blinks

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18

Thanks for the clarification, isampark32... got a few more questions, though.

said by isampark32 :

2) Is the Cisco 800 owned by you or the telco (Bell, from the looks of it)? Do you have config access to it?
- It is owned by Telco(Bell), and they did not give us config access. I am only given config instruction that I can use on my Router (DNS, Gateway address, etc)

Are they handing you a public IP address on the Linksys WRT54GX? I get the feeling the Bell Cisco 800
is operating as a plain old DSL modem / bridge; it's capable of so much more, and I wonder if Bell could
be pursuaded to do more with it... for the right price of course.

Second, you don't have to yank the power cord or reboot the PowerConnect 2624 at any time to restore
service, correct?

Third, what's the IT skillset at the office, especially with networking equipment? If everyone is of
the Linksys / DLINK style of home routers, you're best sticking with equipment that's managed
primarily by a GUI -- Zyxel gear has been mentioned, you can also consider Sonicwall and some of
the older Juniper equipment as well. You should be able to find these second hand on ebay for
your pricerange.

If you're feeling daring / adventurous, a DIY router is also a possibiliy, which only leaves you deciding
what gear for wireless you (prefer) to get.

Let us know what you decide in the end.

Regards