uniqs
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to ISurfTooMuch

to ISurfTooMuch

Re: Come and get me....

said by ISurfTooMuch:

So you have nothing to hide? OK then, please post the following information here:

Your phone call history for the past year.
Your credit card statements for the past year.
Last year's tax return.
The names and addresses of any organizations you've donated money to or performed paid or unpaid work for in the past year.

Since you have nothing to hide, I don't think you'll have any problem posting that info. Then we can determine if you're as innocent as you claim to be.

None of what you've listed would bother me if it were made public - our personal lives are sufficiently ordinary and disinteresting when it comes to matters of criminality and moral standards.

But our society continued to evolve towards a police state. We continue to criminalize or at least stigmatize ordinary behaviors, like ordering a Big Gulp, or thanks to Mr. Roberts, not buying health insurance.

What I might not need to hide today, could very well become tomorrow's prior offense.

What if we add to your list, my dietary consumption for 2012, including the source countries of my organic-approved foods (gotta count the carbon factor for the air freight), my laundry methods (credits for solar drying), cradle-to-grave recycling record, or a favorite not yet considered on this forum - overuse of "public" spectrum?

The people that make up rules to empower themselves will always find new reasons to punish and tax us all, unless we stop them. Unfortunately, the majority public are sheep, more than willing to surrender their sovereignty (and mine) for convenience and bribes.
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch

Exactly. While I might disagree with you about the environmental angle, there's really no way to know what will be politically unpopular in the future. The more information that an entity can collect, the more likely it will be that someone will use it to go on a fishing expedition. And it isn't always even the feds you need to worry about. Local politics can be downright vicious, and it isn't unheard of for some local official to use the local cops to get information on an opponent. Maybe the mayor doesn't like you, so he calls someone he knows and trusts in the local PD to dig up a little dirt on you, perhaps looking into the kind of movies you like to watch. After all, that information could be quite valuable in a conservative area. Oh, you won't be charged with a crime, but that list might just mysteriously appear and get passed around. Who did it? You'll probably never find out, but your political aspirations could be ruined.