uniqs
share rss forum feed

Aftcomet

join:2009-07-14
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

How is Frugal Usenet?

I'm considering switching to these guys as I just cancelled my Astraweb. Retention doesn't matter anymore with all the takedowns. Frugal Usenet currently has a year's worth of service for $40 ($3.33/month).

They're a ReadNews reseller. I remember using UseNetNow at one point but I switched because they'd have down time on sundays I believe.

So can anyone provide some insight? Will I be able to max out my 28Mbit connection?

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
Is it true Swintec runs this? If so, sold!

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
join:2002-11-08
Cleveland, OH
kudos:2
reply to Aftcomet
swintec See Profile is the owner and is available here in this forum to answer questions and give customer support. That is an added benefit with using Frugal, Blocknews, Usenetnow. He always quick to respond to customer support issues.

I've been with Frugal for about 15 months and absolutely love it. It's inexpensive and has been reliable. I haven't had any issues getting my content before it becomes unavailable. Most of my downloads are automated. Frugal would work well with Sickbeard and Couchpotato.

I've read of Frugal users being able to max out their internet connections that are 50Mbit+.

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Many thanks for the reply. This was my thought process as well. If I'm mainly pulling things as they're released then retention makes no difference and 300 days is already great. So I guess if the uptime is good and speeds are there seems like a no brainer at a little over $3 a month. This is even better than those Black Friday deals.

The only thing that bugged me with UseNetNow was that sundays would not work for me at all which lead me to switch to Astraweb (that and I got a discount on it).

But it's nice knowing that Swintec is behind it. Makes the decision that much simpler.

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
And I just purchased it

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
Cleveland, OH
reply to Aftcomet
said by Aftcomet:

The only thing that bugged me with UseNetNow was that sundays would not work for me at all which lead me to switch to Astraweb (that and I got a discount on it).

I have never experienced any issues specific to Sundays while using Frugal.

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
Good to hear.

Well so far so good. Set-up was almost instant. Still not able to access the US sever ("access denied to your node"). EU server does work however.

seamore
Premium
join:2009-11-02
»frugalusenet.com/

hummm... I think i'll leave my current provider and save with Frugal.
Nice prices

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
»frugalusenet.com/holidays.html

Even cheaper. $40 for 12 months.

seamore
Premium
join:2009-11-02
very nice!

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
reply to Aftcomet
Well I tried downloading a recent release and I'm extremely impressed. Started with burst speeds of 5MB/s and now it's leveled down to the max of my connection 3.3MB/s.

Much more consistent than Astraweb. Very impressed so far.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Aftcomet
said by Aftcomet:

Good to hear.

Well so far so good. Set-up was almost instant. Still not able to access the US sever ("access denied to your node"). EU server does work however.

setup takes about 10 minutes after completed. did you have any capitol letters in your access details? missing those will cause that error.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Aftcomet

Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
Had it all set-up was just waiting for the system to finish like you said (10 minutes). But to be honest it was more like 3 minutes and it was done. EU server was instant!

Very impressed so far swintec. This service feels like a well kept secret.

kingdome74
Let's Go Orange
Premium
join:2002-03-27
Syracuse, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Aftcomet
I've been using blocknews for a couple of years as my filler and I tried frugal and loved both. Because I'm on a year long script with Newshosting I'm kind of stuck but when it ends I might consider migrating.
--
Stayed #4. Next up on 12/15 Canisius. Nassib was named All-American over Bridgewater in Pro Football Weekly. Grats Ryan!

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Aftcomet
said by Aftcomet:

I'm considering switching to these guys as I just cancelled my Astraweb. Retention doesn't matter anymore with all the takedowns. Frugal Usenet currently has a year's worth of service for $40 ($3.33/month).

They're a ReadNews reseller. I remember using UseNetNow at one point but I switched because they'd have down time on sundays I believe.

So can anyone provide some insight? Will I be able to max out my 28Mbit connection?

I don't know if/when the Sunday downtime is, but I've loved the UsenetNow service from the day I got it, which has been several years now (three, I think).
--
How nice. This country is being run by a broken record repeating the same two words over and over. Cretin.

PastTense

join:2011-07-06
united state
reply to Aftcomet
Depending on how much you use a block account may be cheaper.

I think there is a growing consensus that you are going to need multiple accounts as the pressure on Usenet increases, with at least one being entirely non-U.S. being a good idea.

dublus

join:2000-08-24
Moorpark, CA
reply to Aftcomet
Huh - when I click that holiday pricing link I get the $50 price.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
said by dublus:

Huh - when I click that holiday pricing link I get the $50 price.

Look further down at the product sign up info., not the site header / banner.
--

dublus

join:2000-08-24
Moorpark, CA
There it is!!!

(I guess I'm not very observant)

rand0m

@myvzw.com
reply to Aftcomet
I tested Frugal for a couple of months (over a year ago), and it worked fine at the time.

pavelbure10

join:2011-09-30
reply to Aftcomet
Do they piggyback off other providers or do they have their own servers?

Can you do a test download of Arrow? Almost all newsgroup providers have incompletes for that and if this doesn't, then it sounds like a good investment.

chaud
Serious Business

join:2004-07-09
Anderson, SC
Are you downloading it days later? Most of the time when it fails all that needs to be done is a rename and it extracts fine.

swintec
Premium,VIP
Alfred, ME
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to pavelbure10
said by pavelbure10:

Almost all newsgroup providers have incompletes for that and if this doesn't, then it sounds like a good investment.

DMCA removals go to all providers regardless of their location.
--

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
reply to pavelbure10
You need to get FAST, I managed to get the WEBDL first thing this morning, only been posted for about 20m.

Stem Bolt
Aka Smiling Bob
Premium
Cleveland, OH
reply to Aftcomet
To get your content before it's removed, you have to download it as soon as it's indexed. You can automated alot of your usenet downloads using Sickbeard, Couchpotato, RSS. That way it can be downloaded within minutes of being indexed automatically. This way you shouldn't have much trouble getting what you want and makes things really convenient. It can be set and forget for most of it.

pavelbure10

join:2011-09-30
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

DMCA removals go to all providers regardless of their location.

Not in my experience. I've seen a lot of things that are completely removed from providers like highwinds and are still available on others like tweaknews.

FatMorganeli

@shawcable.net
reply to rand0m
Can you do a test download for the tv show Arrow with Frugal? That seems to be what is DMCA'd most often. Wondering if they are also taking this down.

aztecnology
O Rly?
Premium
join:2003-02-12
Murrieta, CA
reply to Aftcomet
I'm using frugal exclusively now and have been very happy with them...
--
.:|:. aztec being aztec...™

kiwirps

join:2012-12-15
reply to Aftcomet
Thanks to this thread, I have signed up today

zerohour9

@204.45.134.x
The 300 days retention is a pretty big negative. Frugal is a reseller for Readnews, so theoretically they should have the same taken down DMCA releases as other Readnews providers.

Probably a good idea to compare cost/retention from other Readnews resellers before signing up with one of them.