how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GabeA

join:2012-12-10
reply to Irish Shark

Re: [Qwest / CenturyLink][Q1000 modem] Looking for old firmware

Nope, no link to QAQ01-31.00L.34 there. I've already extensively searched the forums. I need someone to dump/upload theirs here.

anon imus

@qwest.net

Just to clarify, looking for OLD firmware. Not the horrible, atrocious, unusable new one.

colorbars

join:2003-03-20
USA

Another idea might be one of the 3rd party firmwares. Does anyone know if any support the Q1000?

GabeA

Actually, yeah, I checked around -- most custom firmware applies to either "pure" modems or "pure" routers, not both. Also, many explicitly blacklist this modems chipset, the Broadcom BCM96XXX, presumably due to incompatibility with the kernel space encryption, network drivers, or both.

The source code for this modem can be found online, but compilation does not produce a working image when I tried it (actually, this is pointed out in the compilation readme, but I was unable to discern what more is needed). I would love to make a custom compile unlocking all hidden features and enabling some hidden settings (40MHz band width on 2.4 and 5GHz bands, full Wifi-N 300 speed, overvolting the transmitter for greater range, removing restrictions on number of connected devices, enabling XPress frame-bursting aggregate throughput boost, etc).

colorbars

join:2003-03-20
USA

I'd be VERY careful before overvolting the transmitter. Running power over the legal limit can easily get you in deep trouble with the FCC. Not sure about increasing the bandwidth, but I'd check on that too. Don't want to get fined.

GabeA

Excellent advice.

Power limit: The modem actually broadcasts with very limited power (and/or poor antennae), hence the severely degraded range on this modem versus standalone wireless routers.

Bandwidth limit: 40Hz bands are well-defined as Wifi-N 300. This option was actually publicly exposed in the normal interface a few revisions ago and remains so in other modems. It was removed to force customers to spend more money to upgrade.

Any dumpers around?