spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bracing

@verizon.net

Fence Post Bracing

Howdy everyone, got a question for our builders and engineers. I am in the process of building a privacy fence. I set all my 4x4 x 12 posts in concrete (4' in the ground, 8' out) and am slowly getting the picket sections installed, but I'm not going to get it all done before winter sets in. I'd like to keep the posts from twisting and warping as much as is possible before I finish up in the spring.

I was going to get some 2x4's and just brace in the middle and at the top of the post between sections post to post. But I was doing some reading and realized it may be better to go in an X fashion (top of one post to the bottom of the next on one side and alternating on the other side) between posts.

Does it matter? Is there a best way? It's only going to be up over the winter and I'll remove them as I build and hang the picket sections.

Thanks in advance!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

Diagonal braces are always stronger than parallel braces -- they resist racking a lot more.

margerydany

join:2012-11-14
Dallas, TX
reply to bracing

Fences are only as strong as their posts and can occasionally be overcome by wind and shifting soil. When your fence sags, you can take steps to shore its posts up. If a post is in good condition, it can probably be restored to like new; if not, bracing it upright until proper repairs can be made is still typically possible.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to garys_2k

said by garys_2k:

Diagonal braces are always stronger than parallel braces -- they resist racking a lot more.

Definitely the best option, many times better than what the OP is proposing.