join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Davesnothere

Re: [INTERNET] Overage usage skyrocketing

The government is the problem here, not Cogeco. Cogeco will rob people blind if allowed to.

Industry Canada and Weights & Measures need to get involved with this evil shit and put an end to it. They're just too busy counting their payola and being sumbitches.

It's obscene.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by dillyhammer:

The government is the problem here, not Cogeco. Cogeco will rob people blind if allowed to.

Industry Canada and Weights & Measures need to get involved with this evil shit and put an end to it. They're just too busy counting their payola and being sumbitches.

It's obscene.

Mike

And you know why that is, right?

Overage equals profit. Profit equals tax income for government.

There is zero motive for the government to regulate this, since it would be a loss of money for them.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
said by J E F F:

And you know why that is, right?

Overage equals profit. Profit equals tax income for government.

There is zero motive for the government to regulate this, since it would be a loss of money for them.

That makes no sense. Could you imagine not holding natural gas or electricity rates back? Or letting gas and hydro meters run unchecked?

Either way, go to Start.ca, sign up. Be happy. ULs don't count to your cap and you'll save baby seals. Everyone wins.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

....Overage equals profit. Profit equals tax income for government.

I am reminded of that mindset, each and every time I visit the gasoline pump.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Phorkster
Things like gas and electric are political, if prices are too high, backlash against politicians. All gas, water and electric have been metered long before Internet, as per government laws. People don't want metered Internet.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

racerboX
Advanced Micro..what?

join:2002-06-25
Wow, I really hope this can be resolved. I usually use about 3-4gb download a day and for the same day I made the OP it displays 16gb downloaded :| . (And I definitely changed all my router passwords before that). Aaron, thank you, please check your inbox.

Phorkster
Premium
join:2004-06-27
Windsor, ON
said by racerboX:

Wow, I really hope this can be resolved. I usually use about 3-4gb download a day and for the same day I made the OP it displays 16gb downloaded :| . (And I definitely changed all my router passwords before that). Aaron, thank you, please check your inbox.

If you have logs from your router (which I did) send off screenshots of Cogecos usage page with your routers usage page. Send them here: »www.ccts-cprst.ca/

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Things like gas and electric are political, if prices are too high, backlash against politicians. All gas, water and electric have been metered long before Internet, as per government laws. People don't want metered Internet.

And the backlash against UBB when Tony Clement stepped in and said the CRTC's ruling wouldn't be allowed to stand wasn't political?

Sure.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Of course it was political. These guys will do anything to save their ass. But technically, caps are a form of UBB. They're just high enough not to piss enough people off. Except those of us who either torrent or download legally, such as streaming.

And you know why these guys don't want you streaming Netflix and Hulu, right?

HOWEVER, cable shouldn't worry about that. I just read today that cable subscriptions went *UP* this year, not down. Why? Because we still want our live sports..though without NHL, that might change.
--