Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer0 to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666

Re: World JR hockey thread

not related...Forsberg is a somewhat common last name in Sweden...likely not "Smith" common, but fairly common nonetheless.

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

1 recommendation

loosedobbs to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

My friend in Maryland is an huge Capitals fan and hockey fan in general. He asked me if Forsberg on the Swede team is a relative of Peter? My friend is interested as Forsberg is a Capitals prospect... I told me I believe he is his son but not too sure... Anyone?

Not sure what tv station he was watching the game on in Maryland...

He also tells me that the Washington DC area is Redskins country. He said the Capitals would be second in popularity...

"Forsberg’s biggest on-ice, influence, apart from his father Patrik who used to play in Sweden’s second tier league and in Norway’s top league, is former NHLer and Swedish hockey star Peter Forsberg. And no, they’re not related".

Filip Forsberg Shows Off Fancy Stickhandling During Warm-Ups

»www.russianmachineneverb ··· rospect/
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
My friend in Maryland is an huge Capitals fan and hockey fan in general. He asked me if Forsberg on the Swede team is a relative of Peter? My friend is interested as Forsberg is a Capitals prospect... I told me I believe he is his son but not too sure... Anyone?

Not sure what tv station he was watching the game on in Maryland...

He also tells me that the Washington DC area is Redskins country. He said the Capitals would be second in popularity...

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Pretty goal by the Russians,but we had a couple of chances and didn't finish............and it was a great hockey game.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
The entire coaching and management team shouldn't even be allowed within 6 blocks of the next Canadian Junior Team. They simply sucked and had no right to be even remotely involved right from the beginning as they were lazy incompetent fools who don't understand the makings of a championship team. In fact for the kids involved this was actually detrimental to their professional career aspirations, in short it was a total loss for everyone involved.

Blake

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

Subban is the only reason Canada was even close in this game...........WTH didn't he start

Spott was definitely not the coach for this team,he looked like a deer in the headlights.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

shaner to TopShelf

Premium Member

to TopShelf
Yep, I've been telling everyone for a while about the quality of play in WPA. When I first move there in '84, you couldn't find a hockey rink to save your life. Mario changed all that. Yes, football is still king there, but hockey isn't far behind. And my friends and family are all hockey fans and have been for decades.

TopShelf
join:2010-06-25
·GCI

TopShelf to vue666

to vue666
said by vue666:

The Americans had kids from 13 different states including Texas, Florida and California...

Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh area to be exact) had four players on the team.

This American loves hockey in all its forms from peewees, midgets, mites, high school, juniors, college, minors, and finally, the NHL.

I've been up for more than 24 hours straight. I watched both medal games live. That's love for the game, folks!

I'm ready for a nap.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
His first wife, Rose is an American. His current wife I believe is from the Ukraine...

AND IF Americans don't like hockey, why are they now one of the hockey powerhouses along with Canada, Russia, Sweden, Finland? Someone must like hockey... I believe the IIHF website lists the USA second only to Canada for hickey players, rinks, etc...

Let's face it, other countries have caught up to Canada when it comes to hockey... I can recall when I first started watching hockey in the 1960's and Tommy Williams was the only American in the NHL...

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
May be Americans have life and don't want to spend time posting here... or create a new thread for every sports event.

Some people just cant take Americans are Champ.

And did anybody see Russians Taunting Canadian players in the end?
Man that will burn Don cherry. But he should not twit some crap as he is married to a non Canadian. or is it Russian?

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
quote:
How can anyone say Americans don't like hockey after watching the excitement on the USA bench after the game buzzer.
»[NHL] [WJH] World Juniors Hockey! woohoo!

this thread was started on the 26th and there hasn't even been 1 response to it..............that's how much americans care about jr hockey=[or hockey at all]!

They're too busy with football............they may have deserved to win and I haven't seen the game yet,but the way this tournament is setup has to change,cause it comes down to a 1 game matchup regardless of how many games you've lost.

Yanks lost twice to our none and yet they advance because of 1 game?

I'm not saying Canada deserved to be there,cause they really didn't after that shellacking by the yanks.............but the format really isn't well done.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
The Americans had kids from 13 different states including Texas, Florida and California...

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Good job by Team USA. and time for Don Cherry rants.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
A kid from California is one of the stars for the USA...

How can anyone say Americans don't like hockey after watching the excitement on the USA bench after the game buzzer....

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
USA, USA, USA.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to capdjq

to capdjq
2-1 USA after 2 periods....

capdjq
Be Kind, Be Calm & Be Safe
Premium Member
join:2000-11-01
Vancouver

capdjq to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
"Its a new day tomorrow".

Best I could say about this year's Juniors.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned) to shaner

to shaner
Russia wins 6-5 in OT... USA-Sweden game on in 20 minutes...

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

and these insulting twits by some morons.

»ca.sports.yahoo.com/blog ··· 986.html

That's disgusting and embarrassing.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ

2013 WJC: Canada's Griffin Reinhart shocked by lengthy suspension for high stick

On Friday morning the IIHF, the governing body of the tournament, suspended Reinhart for four games. Hockey Canada said it was one of the largest suspensions ever handed out at a world junior tournament.

and these insulting twits by some morons.

»ca.sports.yahoo.com/blog ··· 986.html
JBear
join:2005-02-24
canada

JBear to Link Logger

to Link Logger
You make a valid point Link.

I remember 2 years ago when Canada blew the lead to the Russians. I remember watching the first and second period and saw how the top 2 lines were getting gassed because they were always on the ice scoring goals. Then comes the third period and a couple of quick goals by the Russians due to simple mistakes and you saw the wild swing of emotions from these kids go from high to low. The coach throws out the 4th line later in the period and you see that they were just raring to get on the ice to get some momentum back by just pure heart and effort but by then Canada was out of the game because the scoring lines were just done.

My point is that sometimes I wonder about the coaching and maybe relying on too much individual superstar power and not as a team like the Swiss and their near upset of the Russians in the quarter finals.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
When they lost an exhibition game to UofA I knew they were easy meat for someone else's party. UofA didn't have near the super stars, but they had far more heart and balls and really when push comes to shove, heart and balls trumps talent every time. Put a real Canadian team together of ballsy grinders who don't mind a little blood, toss in a couple of snipers and the tourney is in the bag for Canada, its the Canadian way and why we refuse to use the Canadian strength is beyond me and obviously the team's management. I'm not saying Goon Hockey, I'm saying get those guys who are willing to push their legs hard when there is nothing left in the tank, make the play so someone else can bask in the glory while they suck air for all their worth getting ready for the next shift, block the shot, finish the hit or take the hit without losing their head (ie its not the first time they have been hit and they know it won't be the last either), get up off the ice with an idea of how to get back in the play without whining to the ref. Those are the guys that win championships.

Not to blame the kids, this team's failure to produce is a product of crappy management and team selection. All that talent was lost without someone to get the puck near their net or away from our net.

Blake

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
yea, i was never a big fan of this team from the get go...i only watched one game, and wasn't overly impressed from it either.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
That makes sense LL.

Link Logger
MVM
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to ZZZZZZZ

MVM

to ZZZZZZZ
Sometimes when you load up a team with nothing but so called talent, you forget to add heart and hence you come out flat and lose. Talent alone never wins championships. Was that the best Canadian Junior team we have ever assembled, not even close. Is it the best team would could have assembled this year, again not even close. Management was poor and lazy and picked kids based on draft position and totally forgot about heart and chemistry, so losing was a pre-ordained fact long before the tourney started.

Blake

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to bt

Premium Member

to bt
Wow Sweden should be up 5-0..........don't think Russia even got a shot in the period.

This Forseberg kid is living up to his namesake too.............Caps got another great player.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
said by ZZZZZZZ:

One of the best hockey powers will end up in 4th place.....unreal.

It's been a 4-horse race in general for a few years now. Can, US, Rus and Swe.

Last year was more unreal to my mind, with the US being relegated.
WNGFAN 1
join:2003-11-02
Leamington, ON

WNGFAN 1 to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
Had a feeling the Americans were going to walk all over us this morning. There has to be a better head coach than Steve Spott and hopefully next year we see him.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Anav

Premium Member

to Anav
quote:
Lets admit it that our hockey program sucketh. If a top crop of our best juniors cant cut the mustard then our program is no better than anyone elses.
You have no idea what you're talking about!

Half the players in this tournament play in the CHL.....which is why this tournament is so fun to watch.

All the other teams mimic Canada's jr program and is a big reason why teams are so on par now.

As said Switzerland played the last 4 games to either a SO or OT,and Sweden and the US are probably 2 of the best teams in the World.

It's just a shame we never played Sweden and have to play the Russians for a bronze.........but it should be a great game,regardless.
GBerry
join:2011-06-12
Guelph, ON

GBerry to ZZZZZZZ

to ZZZZZZZ
They played soft, with no legs. After the second American goal I checked the final score and just stopped watching. For all the sports science that team Canada has at its disposal, they sure didn't come out of the gate.

The coaches also made the decision to start the 4th line and then play a full bench for what I saw of the first period. Why on earth would you take that strategy against a team as skilled as the Americans? They took away the greatest weapons that they have by leaving the first line on the bench. Know what is a good defence? Not letting the other team have the puck. That line would have spent more time in the offensive zone generating scoring chances.

As to this being a failing of Canada's hockey development program. No. Just no. Look at the medal history for this tournament and the under 17s. A bit too many Canadian golds to be worried, yet. At the end of the day, it is a round robin and then single elimination tournament. Play this same game 5 times over and the result may have been different.

There are some fantastic players on the Canadian team. Ones I will watch for when it comes time for them to play in the NHL. There just wasn't enough this year for Canada to coast to victory.