All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Emilie
join:2012-12-13

Emilie

DI-524 WEP Key 1 cannot be empty

I had to reset my D-Link router. I'm trying to set up a WEP encryption, but it keeps telling me "Key 1 cannot be empty" while it is not empty. I am using a Mac with Safari. I tried to install IE hoping it would solve the problem, but it is not supported by my OS. Anyone would know how to solve this problem? Thank you!

BimmerE38FN
join:2002-09-15
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN

Try Opera or FF browser?
Try using a Windows based PC to manage the router.
Emilie

Emilie

I finally borrowed a friend's computer to set up the WEP encryption, and could connect to the internet via my router with her computer. However, I cannot connect with my Mac.

I get a connection to the internet using a cable. I get a wireless connection with no security on my router. But with the WEP encryption, I can to the router but not to the internet. What is the problem?

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Emilie

to Emilie
Does the Mac support WEP any more? What OS version is on the Mac? It's recommended to use WPA or WPA2 if the 524 has any form of this. This router is getting a bit older and it might be time to upgrade to something newer. Maybe a DIR-645? My Mac Book Pro works very well with this router.

PamelaTS
Digital Chick
join:2004-04-20
Dallas, TX
Asus RT-AC66
HTC 5G Hub

PamelaTS to Emilie

to Emilie
After long ago flashing my DI-524 to a 624, I finally upgraded to a DIR-655. With DIR-601 for $22 and DIR-615's for $32 brand new in the store why are you messing around with a dinosaur DI-524 that's not even supported anymore. There are no new firmware fixes it is well into it's silver haired years. I think I paid $30 and got a $25 rebate for my DI-524 way back when.

You really should consider upgrading your hardware. Fewer headaches
Emilie

Emilie

Thanks for those recommendations. I'll probably be looking for one of those soon, because even though I finally found a driver for the DI-524 that supports WPA2, my connection only works well a few days and then I have to reset the router for it to work again.

BimmerE38FN
Boise, ID

BimmerE38FN to Emilie

to Emilie
One reason for the short operation time could be due to external interferences. Check to see how many other WiFi routers are near by. If there are a few to many, could me a reason.

Use InSSIDer application to find out now many of any are near by.
Change channels to a manual channel that is not in use.

Let us know if this helps any.