spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

deadtorights

join:2011-01-27

Open wifi with 175 people in it. Can they know I download ?

Hi,
I live in a condo where we got free wifi (secure).

If I use the wifi and download movie, can they know is me since there is a lot of people that use it also?
I presume the condo name is on internet bill. It get deducted from the condo fee the cost of the internet.

i do have Fibe, I can always change it back on if I don't use the condo wifi.

Thanks!

buttaknife

join:2007-06-01

Hard to say but I'd be careful

Baraka

join:2012-12-11
Toronto, ON

They could know by monitoring the activity of the hardware (MAC) address of your WiFi interface. However, most admins won't look at this stuff unless they have a real reason to. In the end, it would take a legal notice, ala TekSavvy's recent issues, for them to monitor their network. Problem is, if they found you, you wouldn't have much of a defense. I would contact the building manager to ask them what their policy is on notifying subscribers of such notices received by the building, and the safe guarding of your personal information, including your hardware address.

kovy

join:2009-03-26
kudos:8
reply to deadtorights

They would probablt charge the condo and everybody would need to pay... lol i dont know worst case scenario.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
·ELECTRONICBOX

Doubtful They can Specifically Trace it to you and Most likely Unable to Sue the Condo as there would have alot of trouble sticking charges But why do anything Illegal anyways?
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.

hm

@videotron.ca
reply to deadtorights

Possible yeah your condo's router will have MAC, and machine name/network-name. The software used to dupe people and get their IP can also capture machine name and likely crawl any share folder (at least that's what a court affidavit said in the previous hurt locker case).

So yeah, it's possible if a company like voltage wanted to spend a few grand to to hire someone to check all this and go after you, then a few grand more in court to prosecute you... which, imo, is highly unlikely.

OHSrob

join:2011-06-08
reply to deadtorights

You can't exactly put 175 people behind nat with a public address and expect things like pptp to still work. They probably have public addressing and can easily identify you.

Edit: if they never got your Mac address off you they can easily locate what apartment your in by putting the wifi in monitor mode and looking for your station.

hm

@videotron.ca

said by OHSrob:

You can't exactly put 175 people behind nat with a public address and expect things like pptp to still work. They probably have public addressing and can easily identify you.

Isn't this how some rural wisps work?

I recall there was gov talk and problems with wisps when it came to security and they want wisps to better handle how each person can be identified.

But this isn't applicable to this topic since it's different and not a scenario with the OP.