uniqs
share rss forum feed

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Kearnstd

Re: Theoretical Question

Nope - run flats instead to save room and weight. It is a huge issue in the BMW CCA right now - had 5-8 letters on the dipstick and spare issue for at least 5 months this year.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by CylonRed:

Nope - run flats instead to save room and weight.

But not to save money!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Lone Wolf

if you own a BMW money is a nil issue for you so the expense of a run flat is nothing at all.

I guess I never think of a spare effecting a car that much. 2000 Impala I had before my current car had one and no impact on trunk space it was still a 4 body rated trunk.

Wonder why they left out the dipstick though, 3oz of thin metal are not going to improve performance by being left out.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

No_Strings
Premium,MVM,Ex-Mod 2008-13
join:2001-11-22
The OC
kudos:6

said by Kearnstd:

if you own a BMW money is a nil issue for you so the expense of a run flat is nothing at all.

Glad to hear. My troubles are over.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Kearnstd

Not necessarily - depends on how you get the car. I have a friend that has his dads 911 when his dad suddenly passed away. He rarely takes it out due to the expense of the parts/maintenance.

Run flat technology has gotten better in recent years but early on they were horrible and they were not cheap to replace. Not necessarily cheap now...

Saving the weight was probably the #1 reason to skip the spare and not having to stock a bunch of spare tires/wheels (and not lowering the price of the car) was the #2...

I can't find any good reason for no dipsticks but BMW is not alone in this... Sensors are just as good... till they fail.

Then again I think every car should have a timing chain and can't understand why they are not used exclusively (I usually catch flak on that whenever I mention it here).
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by CylonRed:

Then again I think every car should have a timing chain and can't understand why they are not used exclusively (I usually catch flak on that whenever I mention it here).

My Accord has a timing chain (and a spare tire!). EDIT: And a dipstick (besides the driver ).

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

The one thing I hated about my Civic and hate about our Odyssey... Timing belts.

grobinette
Southeast of disorder
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-27
Springfield, VA
kudos:2
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

To quote one of the guys in a BMW forum - "just because you can afford to buy a BMW doesn't mean you can afford to own one"
To the OP, I find it hard to imagine any high end car that won't come with high end maintenance. It is just the nature of the beast.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by grobinette:

To quote one of the guys in a BMW forum - "just because you can afford to buy a BMW doesn't mean you can afford to own one"

Isn't that why leases were invented?

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to grobinette

And here's one reason I never bought a used Ferrari. I had a chance to pick up a 1990's Berlinetta for under $30,000 a few years ago. It had just under 30K miles and was due for the 30,000 mile service. Just too much money for maintenance.

»www.ferraris-online.com/pages/ar···00612_SS

Can You Afford $10.27 per Mile?

Only weeks into Ferrari ownership, the 30,000-mile service was repeated and the front shocks were replaced, for a total of $6,196.57

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

1 recommendation

quote:
The windshield washer reservoir was also replaced for $529.25.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

holy crap. That reservoir better be carbon fiber hand crafted by NASA.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Lone Wolf

One of the major reason I had friends who could afford E30, E36 M3's and a E46 ZHP, is that they wrenched on the cars themselves.
--
Brian

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Kearnstd

You pay for the name... Might be cheaper online - part of that is dealer added costs which are not insubstantial...
--
Brian

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

I saw two Lamborghinis this week. Pretty unusual, since it's normal to go over a year without seeing one.

Well, chalk up one more difference between Jersey and California!

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium

3 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Lone Wolf

Mercedes E550, or E63, (E63 would be my choice) and BMW M5 are just three of the better choices. (Most cars that are physically and performance wise close to those cars would be a good choice.)

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Kearnstd

said by Kearnstd:

Wonder why they left out the dipstick though,

There's generally one behind the steering wheel?

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

One of the major reason I had friends who could afford E30, E36 M3's and a E46 ZHP, is that they wrenched on the cars themselves.

I have a problem with today's nomenclature the manufacturers use. When I was a kid it was easy to know what people were talking about when they mentioned a car name.

Example: We had 3 choices when buying a Chevy, It was an Impala, BelAir or Biscayne. Caddys had a Fleetwood, Coupe DeVille, Sedan DeVille and Eldorado. There were sub-groupings but they were limited when compared to today.

Today I must learn the difference between a E63, E36, M3, X5, X6, FX50, S, SL, SLK, xDrive, iDrive, etc. When learning about the different vehicles that meet my criteria I tried to use Autotrade.com and use advanced options to get close. I can filter my results from there but it still confounds me. It's not too difficult when looking for a new car, but when the names change yearly and you want a used car and aren't up to date on all of the models it's tough.

Check out BMW:

1 Series (F20) (2011–present) Hatchback
1 Series (E81) (2004–present) Coupe and convertible
3 Series (F30) (2012–present) Sedan
3 Series (E90) (2005–present) Sedans
3 Series (E92) (2007-present) Coupe
5 Series (F10) (2010–present) Sedan and Wagon
5 Series Gran Turismo (2009–present) Progressive Activity Sedan
6 Series (F12) (2010–present) Coupe, convertible, Gran Coupe
7 Series (F01) (2008–present) Sedan
X1 (2009–present) Compact Crossover SUV/Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)
X3 (F25) (2010–present) Compact Crossover SUV/Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)
X5 (E70) (2006–present) Compact Crossover SUV/Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV)
X6 (2008–present) Sports Activity Coupe
Z4 (E89) (2009–present) Sports Roadster

To figure out what a E36 is I need Google!

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

Yea - E designation is not what BMW goes by or sells by - most owners have NO idea if their car is a E46 or E92 or FX xx.... For people who do know the designations - it is a quick and easy way to refer to an entire line during a time frame.

IMHO BMW is just going to kill themselves over all of the lines they currently have. Can hardly wait for a 1.5 series...
--
Brian

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

Here's what gets me lost.

Copy/Paste from wikipedia:

The BMW New Class starting in 1962 with the 1500 and continuing through the last 2002s in 1977. four-cylinder M10. 02 Series 1600 and 2002 in 1966. New Class four-doors with numbers ending in "0" were replaced by the larger BMW 5 Series in 1972. The upscale 2000C and 2000CS coupes were replaced by the six-cylinder BMW E9, introduced in 1969 with the 2800CS. The 1600 two-door was discontinued in 1975, the 2002 replaced by the 320i in 1975.

Maybe I'm just an old, drunken, burnt out stoner, but these numbers are ridiculous.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

said by Lone Wolf:

Copy/Paste from wikipedia:

The BMW New Class starting in 1962 with the 1500 and continuing through the last 2002s in 1977. four-cylinder M10. 02 Series 1600 and 2002 in 1966. New Class four-doors with numbers ending in "0" were replaced by the larger BMW 5 Series in 1972. The upscale 2000C and 2000CS coupes were replaced by the six-cylinder BMW E9, introduced in 1969 with the 2800CS. The 1600 two-door was discontinued in 1975, the 2002 replaced by the 320i in 1975.

Maybe I'm just an old, drunken, burnt out stoner, but these numbers are ridiculous.

Naw, you are being reasonable in your observation and complaint. That's why you should just trust me in my posts on the subject of the thread.

Actually, I prefer Mercedes over BMW, (the BMW is still a fine car--despite the iDrive), but the first time I went to the BMW web site to "build" a BMW I too was stunned at the stupidly listings of cars.

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

said by Blogger:

said by Lone Wolf:

Naw, you are being reasonable in your observation and complaint. That's why you should just trust me in my posts on the subject of the thread.

Actually, I prefer Mercedes over BMW, (the BMW is still a fine car--despite the iDrive), but the first time I went to the BMW web site to "build" a BMW I too was stunned at the stupidly listings of cars.

MB isn't much better.

A-Class—Hatchback
B-Class—Multi-Activity
C-Class—Saloon, Estate & Coupé
CL-Class—Luxury Coupé
CLS-Class—4 Door Coupé
CLS-Class—4 Door Shooting Break
E-Class—Saloon, Estate, Coupé & Cabriolet
G-Class—Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GL-Class—Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
GLK-Class - Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
M-Class—Sports Utility Vehicle (SUV)
R-Class—Luxury Tourer Vehicle (LTV)
S-Class—Luxury Sedan
SL-Class—Roadster
SLK-Class—Roadster
SLS AMG—Coupé and Roadster
Viano—Multi Purpose Vehicle (MPV)

Lots of sub-classes too. It's confusing but I'm beginning to understand it.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium

Yes, but they, Mercedes start the pyramid or "tree" of cars sold with a much easier and understandable beginning at the opening page of cars offered on their website than BMW. Very user friendly.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Lone Wolf

I do not know what all these E numbers mean with BMW.

as far as I am concerned they are meaningless. 1 series is a small car, 3 series is a sports coupe, 5 series is a mid sized luxury sedan, 7 series is the land yacht that is in the same market as things like the Cadillac DTS.

if someone tells me BMW E9, I will think they are telling me they parked their BMW in lot E9 at the mall.
--

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

The one thing I hated about my Civic and hate about our Odyssey... Timing belts.

My A4 says hi.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Kearnstd

99.999% of BMW owners know nothing about the E designation - unfortunately I am somewhat used to it... If you buy parts online it is a lot handier to know the E designation when looking up parts.

»www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techart···_faq.htm
--
Brian

Grimm

join:2011-05-23

That site is websensed for me, but am I right in guessing that it has something to do with the year?

Such as with Audi A4

B5 - 95-01
B6 - 02-05
B7 - 05.5-08
B8 - 09-Current
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

quote:
What do they call my car an E something when its a 325i, 535i, etc..?

When you hear you car being referred to as an E classification, what they are referring to is the body style of a particular car. For instance, BMW has produced a 3 Series model from 1976 to 2003. Naturally, the body style changes over time, so to avoid confusion; they refer to the 1976-83 3 Series as an E21, the 1984-91 cars as E30, 1992-99 cars as E36, and the present models as the E46. Keep in mind that certain early cars do not have an E number. Heres a break down of the E numbers as well as the early designations
The link also has a break down of all of the model letters (is, Xi etc...) and also the engines codes.
--
Brian

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

hmm interesting. Never knew the models related to engine size.(So Hypothetically in terms I can wrap my brain around, if my Impala where a BMW it would have been a 538i 5 series with a 3.8L fuel injected engine.)

Going to be honest I had always figured all luxury cars with numbers instead of names that the numbers where just made up by throwing a cat and mouse into a room of keyboards and seeing what came out. Never knew that the full sized BMW was a 740 because it had a 4l engine.
--

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey

A 240Z had a 2.4 l engine. A 280Z had a 2.8 l engine. (Of course we called them 24 ounce and 28 ounce.)