uniqs
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9 to nasadude

Premium Member

to nasadude

Re: Federale Communista Communique

What's the alternative? How do we prevent the flow of qualified people back and forth between public and private service? Honest question, because I'm curious how people think we can "fix" this "problem".
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Easy, if one has worked in a control position of the sector to be regulated they cannot enter a control position of the government agency that regulated them. And have it in their contract that they cannot go back the same way.

Allowing a cable exec to get into the FCC or FTC is a bit like letting the fox guard the hens.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

Forever? Or for a period of time? If the FCC is being staffed by technical types (arguably it isn't, but it should be), won't they be hard-pressed to find employment after their tenure, considering their expertise and focus?

Not discounting your proposition, just thinking through the whole thing.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Easy, if one has worked in a control position of the sector to be regulated they cannot enter a control position of the government agency that regulated them.

But don't we want people who are experienced in the industries they are regulating?

Is it better to have bureaucrats who know nothing of business or technology making decisions?

cambridgemac
@comcast.net

cambridgemac to openbox9

Anon

to openbox9
As far as I know, this is a much bigger problem in the US than in most countries, in particular, France. In France, the regulators are highly educated at the Ecole Nationale d'Administration, receive good salaries, and have low turnover - because the top tiers of the bureaucracy are filled by merit (Civil Service) not by political appointees. In the US we have, I believe, over 10,000 political appointee jobs that turn over every time a new President takes office. In France that number is about a hundred. The ability to accumulate and pass on knowledge is constantly degraded in our system. By design, I would say.