how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

amargarit

join:2012-02-16
Santa Ana, CA

Wireless file sharing

Hi to all, I have three laptops on a wireless network that I would like to be able to share files with over the air. I guess I would like them to preform as close as it they were on Ethernet talking to each other. Can someone aid me with this? One laptop is running Windows XP Pro and the other two are running Windows 7

Thanks in advance

Anthony

clarknova

join:2010-02-23
Grande Prairie, AB
kudos:7
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by amargarit:

as it they were on Ethernet talking to each other

That's a bit vague. If you want the best possible speed, then get yourself some 24GHz radios (normally used for high speed tower backhauls).

Short of that, you may want to get a dual-band 3x3 MIMO router/AP, and make sure your laptops also have 3x3. Ideally one host in a given transaction will be on one band, the other on the other, otherwise your limited wireless bandwidth on a given band will be shared, and throughput cut accordingly.
--
db

amargarit

join:2012-02-16
Santa Ana, CA
Thanks Clarknova

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
kudos:5
reply to amargarit
I would go back to basics as your question is vaguely worded. All devices need to be in the same workgroup LAN and then you will easily be able to share files.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to amargarit
A how-to guide:

»www.tomshardware.com/forum/32700···machines

There is nothing different about file sharing between wired and wireless.

interlync

join:2002-07-30
Chicago, IL
reply to amargarit
Sounds like you may want something like network attached storage (Harddrive with network connection)? If so, there are a lot of options depending on the files you want to share (Media files).

Pogo-plug, just a NAS box, or even routers that have USB ports to accommodate a USB hard drive.