spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

imspecial

join:2012-12-14
West Vancouver, BC

[BC] Upgraded to Optik Internet 50 - what does all this mean?

Hello there,

On Saturday December 8 I had a TELUS technician visit my home to upgrade the internet to Optik Internet 50 (the 50MB internet) from Optik Turbo (25MB). We have Optik TV, home phone and Optik Internet in our home.

When the installer came, he didn't have to install an additional phone line. He just opened up his labtop and clicked a few buttons. The router I have is an Actiontec V1000H and its the same one I've had since Optik TV/Internet was installed at the beginning of 2012.

I was comparing some router information stats (from this forum as well as digitalhome) to the readings which I am getting on our own router.

Can you guys let me know if these readings are acceptable? I'm about 25 meters away from the TELUS node outside. So pretty close I think...

From comparing the reading below to others posted, it seems something is out of whack. There seems to be lots of these FECs or packets building up in the stats. Also, the downstream speed seems to be changing all the time (going higher or lower)... but hovering around 70000 - 72000 overall.

Anything I should get checked out? Also, the TV seems glitchy here and there. Some of the shows "skip" every few minutes or so for a second or two... then sync back up.

If there is a TELUS insider that can offer me some assistance, that would be cool. I don't really like calling Technical Support because it always seems like I know more than them.

Thanks in advance!

Connection Status:
Showtime
VPI:
N/A
VCI:
N/A

Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 17A
Downstream Speed: 70311 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 12287 Kbps
SNR Downstream : 8 dB
SNR Upstream : 13 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 14.5 dBm
Power Upstream -1.7 dBm
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 20
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 489
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 379364
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 2
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
PTM VLAN QoS: 0
Retrains Number: 0
Retrain Timer: 0 Days, 6H:35M:37S

meraki

join:2008-04-10
V3M 0C6

Re: [BC] Upgraded to Optik Internet 50 - what does all this mean

What do I have to ask for to get this new 50 down service?

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada
reply to imspecial

I'm just a bit further from the DSLAM than you. Both of the Actiontec's I've had always seems to do ok at first and then start accumulating FEC Interleaves after a day or so.

Is your TV just losing sync a few minutes after the start of a show and then ok after or does it happen more frequently? Mine started doing this after the last Mediaroom update but we hardly use Optik TV anymore so I haven't bothered with it. I was on the 25 mb service when it started.

If you're concerned with your TV you should give the tech who installed it a call. He did leave his card with you didn't he?

Connection Status: Showtime
VPI: N/A
VCI: N/A
Broadband Mode Setting: MULTIMODE
Broadband Negotiated Mode: VDSL2 - 17A
Downstream Speed: 76799 Kbps
Upstream Speed: 12287 Kbps
SNR Downstream : 9 dB
SNR Upstream : 16 dB
Attenuation Downstream : 0 dB
Attenuation Upstream : 0 dB
Power Downstream 11.1 dBm
Power Upstream -4.6 dBm
Near End CRC Errors Interleave: 11
Near End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
Far End CRC Errors Interleave : 0
Far End CRC Errors Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End CRC Interleave : 111
30 Minute Near End CRC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End CRC Interleave : 0
30 Minute Far End CRC Fastpath : N/A
Near End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Near End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
Far End RS FEC Interleave : 0
Far End RS FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Near End FEC Interleave : 11084
30 Minute Near End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Far End FEC Interleave : 15
30 Minute Far End FEC Fastpath : N/A
30 Minute Discarded Packets Downstream : 0
30 Minute Discarded Packets Upstream : 0
PTM VLAN QoS: 0
Retrains Number: 0
Retrain Timer: 1 Days, 17H:45M:1S

imspecial

join:2012-12-14
West Vancouver, BC

Hi ruiner,

I'm noticing the same with the Actiontec I have... at first it is ok then these FEC Interleaves start increasing. I've tried power cycling the unit and everything resets to zero. Then quickly, these numbers increase.

I'm not sure of the exact term, but I will be watching a show and every 5 minutes or so the picture goes kind of glitchy for about 1-2 seconds then re-syncs. Sometimes it doesn't happen at all and sometimes it happens quite a bit. (probably more when watching a HD feed on each of the 2 STB we have).

I'm wondering if anybody knows what I can say when speaking with Tech Support so they know what to look for. I don't want to get run around in circles...

Thanks

ruiner

join:2012-03-10
Canada

I would call the tech who installed your 50 mb service and tell him your picture is breaking up a lot. Your FEC Interleave is also really high, especially for only 6 hrs. I remember someone posting something like that before and it turned out rats had chewed on their line.