spc
Search similar:

uniqs

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

1 edit

rednekcowboy to DKS

to DKS

Re: Andrews Wireless - Bans all usage of Streaming video?

said by DKS:

said by rednekcowboy:

however you are selling a consumable product,

Can you explain how "electrons" or "photons" are consumable? With an explanation of the science involved, if possible.

Bandwidth is entirely consumable, much in the same way gasoline (or "fuel" if you would prefer) is consumable. Just because you don't ingest something doesn't mean you don't consume it.

To go one step further to illustrate this. I have a 500GB cap on my service. I can consume (or use) that entire 500GB in a couple of weeks, but then I will have to pay additional $$$'s per GB.

Though I believe you are being tongue and cheek about this....I will however say that just because one's ideas or thoughts may not be "mainstream," this does not mean that they are inherently wrong. In fact, I would argue that those defending traffic-shaping policies only do so because they have bought into the corporate BS that has been spread for years and are just a fraction behind on the more forward thinking, future that we now find ourselves where any decent ISP has realized that this archaic policy belongs in the past (mostly because they realize they can make more without it, but that's another matter. Customer backlash was another reason behind ditching it).
rednekcowboy

rednekcowboy to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."

»youtu.be/W8qcccZy03s

LOL

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to rednekcowboy

to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

said by DKS:

said by rednekcowboy:

however you are selling a consumable product,

Can you explain how "electrons" or "photons" are consumable? With an explanation of the science involved, if possible.

Bandwidth is entirely consumable, much in the same way gasoline (or "fuel" if you would prefer) is consumable. Just because you don't ingest something doesn't mean you don't consume it.

Can I hear your explanation for perpetual motion? BTW, I have a bottle of electrons and another of photons here. Never consumed. Good price, too.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

said by DKS:

Can I hear your explanation for perpetual motion? BTW, I have a bottle of electrons and another of photons here. Never consumed. Good price, too.

Those are stale, old electrons and photons that have been sitting on a shelf too long. The photons no longer travel at full speed, so they're sub prime. Go peddle your junk sub atomic particles somewhere else!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by HeadSpinning:

said by DKS:

Those are stale, old electrons and photons that have been sitting on a shelf too long. The photons no longer travel at full speed, so they're sub prime. Go peddle your junk sub atomic particles somewhere else!

The Best Before date on the bottles reads 29/02/2013!

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

said by DKS:

Duh: there's no month 29.

This is the second idiot in this thread

*snicker*

rednekcowboy
join:2012-03-21

rednekcowboy

said by Steve:

said by DKS:

*snicker*

My sentiments exactly!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Steve

to Steve
said by Steve:

said by DKS:

*snicker*

Ah. You caught the reference. Wanna buy a bottle of electron or photons cheap?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to LazMan

Premium Member

to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Every ISP - and allow me to reiterate EVERY - does some form of over subscription. That's just the way it's done. Goes back to the days of dial up, even... The goal is to have enough bandwidth available that customers don't have a negative experience, but not to have excess capacity sitting there unused.

When it came to dial up Internet, you looked for a provider that had the lowest modem to subscriber ration (I think the best I saw was 15:1). Capacity is dirt cheap, the problem is companies want to profit (outrageously I might add) from collecting their overpriced subscriptions and at the same time providing the bare minimum of service.

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

Steve

said by elwoodblues:

Capacity is dirt cheap

Wireless capacity is not "dirt cheap"

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Capacity is dirt cheap, the problem is companies want to profit (outrageously I might add) from collecting their overpriced subscriptions and at the same time providing the bare minimum of service.

Depends on your definition of dirt cheap... A 40 gig uplink card for a backbone router is easily 100 grand. Even a 10 gig card will be 25k or more.

No doubt some ISPs are looking for the payday above all else - hell, I even worked for a few of them over the years... But most small to medium providers make a moderate return. People make a living; they aren't getting rich. Customer satisfaction is key - churn and cost of acquisition are profit killers... The old adage 'you can't please all of the people all of the time' holds true, but if you can keep 90% of your users satisfied, you're doing something right.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Steve

to Steve
said by Steve:

said by DKS:

*snicker*

Perhaps the third idiot is the person who doesn't realize that three date formats are used interchangeably in Canada. DD-MM-YYYY, MM-DD YYYY and YYYY-DD-MM. The DD-MM-YYYY is especially used in Quebec.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by DKS:

Perhaps the third idiot is the person who doesn't realize that three date formats are used interchangeably in Canada. DD-MM-YYYY, MM-DD YYYY and YYYY-DD-MM. The DD-MM-YYYY is especially used in Quebec.

There is a fourth one: ISO standard format, which is YYYY-MM-DD.
morisato
join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

morisato

Idiot or Format? P:) or perhaps both. rofl.

Overage101
@distributel.net

Overage101 to rednekcowboy

Anon

to rednekcowboy
said by rednekcowboy:

To go one step further to illustrate this. I have a 500GB cap on my service. I can consume (or use) that entire 500GB in a couple of weeks, but then I will have to pay additional $$$'s per GB.

Let's see if this company offer 2 different plans

1) 5Mbps until 100GB, keep same 5Mbps and pay $$$ per GB for overage
2) 5Mbps until 100GB, reduce speed to 1.5Mbps and pay no overage fee

I can see that 99% of users will choose the plan 2) and as for billing it is simpler too... Everyone will know exactly how much they will have to pay every month. No need to worry keep checking everyday how much data you already use and huge overage bill later...

As the owner, I prefer the other 1% of plan 1) like you go subscribe to other provider instead of supporting it (change the system, billing, customer support for overage fee related, etc..., small company doesn't have a lot of REP to service customer)