kudos:2

About time

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

said by skeechan:

About time

Why? Is there an advantage to it being there? I leave WSJ as one of my permanent icons on the bottom (one click). Now I have to access Newsstand and then click icon (two clicks).
I'm not that busy that an extra click would be a major problem, so I can live with the change.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

I am tired of every time I miss a few days, WSJ downloading back issues and downloading and downloading and downloading as if I care about downloading the paper from last week. With NS it keeps the content fresh even when the app isn't running.

haroldo

united state

Gotcha...I'm not OCD, but since the app was created, I never missed one day of reading the paper
Just wondering, though, if you missed a few days.. the Today paper is available in a few seconds...if you're reading the paper, the downloads of other papers take place in the background so downloading (and downloading) isn't a big issue...is it?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

I have the digital plus print combo subscription and usually read the printed edition.

With limited data on LTE and the size of the paper, I didn't appreciate the Journal sucking down data even if it was in the background. I put in feature requests to have an option to turn it off but never got it. Guess others don't mind it.

haroldo

united state

I see. I have WiFI only iPad so it's not an issue...but if you're not in WiFi when Newsstand updates, you're still downloading, no?

haroldo

united state

1 edit
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

?.. With NS it keeps the content fresh even when the app isn't running.

i installed updated WSJ app and this is not the case.
The new version of the paper doesn't load until the app is called upon.
This morning the "today" paper didn't appear until I clicked the app.
Tonight the "now" (9PM) version didn't appear until approximately 45 seconds after I clicked app. As the last time I used app was this morning, there were not any of the hourly now versions available from start screen
Both instances I was using iPad for a while (in WiFi) so if a download occurred in the background, the up to date versions would have been there as soon as I clicked app
As far as I can tell the downloading is exactly the same as the app before it migrated to newsstand.

haroldo

united state

Correction...now I'm getting the automatic downloads

haroldo

united state

FWIW, in the two or three weeks since the app migrated to Newsstand, the paper automatically downloaded twice.
Every other time I had to click the paper to download it.
Not sure if the app is the problem or Newsstand, but it's not working as designed.