how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jeffscott

join:2008-08-19
Atlanta, GA

'Throttling' in Atlanta?

I don't profess to know much about the technicalities and the complexities of it all, but why am I only getting a download speed of 2 to 4 Mbps, according to Bandwidth Place's 'Speedtest' and I'm paying AT&T for "up to 18Mbps"? I've NEVER received speed anywhere CLOSE to that!... These particularly slow speeds have been going on for several days now...AND, suspiciously around the time AT&T techs were seen in the neighborhood!..Conspiratorial, I know...just wondering if anyone else in metro ATL is running into anything similar...

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
Sounds like a wiring issue. Was this a tech install?

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA
Yes...but that was 3+ years ago...I know there are countless factors involved but I've just recently noticed the significant slow down..As you mentioned, it's likely wiring..I'm in an older building and my conclusion was determined by the fact that I have U-Verse Voice...and, pardon my frustration, but it SUCKS!...that's a whole issue in itself...I've had THAT checked before with no firm conclusion reached...To put it simply, it's just something I've learned to live with and I suspect the slow internet will be added to the list...Updating the wiring is NOT an option...
Thanks for the reply, though...

alana

join:2009-10-20
Crystal Lake, IL
reply to jeffscott
Load the Uverse Realtime Tool and post screenshots of the bitloading tab, the error tab and the summary tab.

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA
I'm on a Mac and doesn't look like the Real Time Tool is an option without some additional downloads, etc..Per my previous reply, this is likely due to wiring of advance age...In a related matter, I've noticed the U-Verse speed test consistently shows more favorable results than any of the independent sites out there!

AngryDallas

join:2010-12-06
Dallas, TX
Hey!

If I was paying for 18mbps and only getting 2-4mbps, I will raise hell with AT&T until it's fixed or until they refund you all the difference in your monthly payments!

Don't let them get away with it!

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA
As mentioned, there are SO many factors that affect what sort of speed you get..i.e. "UP TO 18mbps"....

Juneau

@sbcglobal.net
reply to jeffscott
"In a related matter, I've noticed the U-Verse speed test consistently shows more favorable results than any of the independent sites out there!"

Wouldn't that be an indication of external problems on the net? As I understand it the U-Verse speed test is "inside" the AT&T net and if it was running faster it makes me think there are problems other than your wiring.

I'm not sure if I made any sense above or not. Of course, all of that could be a total lack of understanding in how it works on my part.

UverseTech

join:2012-08-04
Im not sure about your area but here in the midwest the techs have been told to not bill for service calls. I would unplug your modem and call T2 @ 866-329-2662, and tell them you are not connected. They will run you thru those standard reboot sequences, just play along. They will finally conclude you are having issues and send out a tech.

This is what I would instruct all of my customers to do if they wanted a tech out.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to jeffscott
I would call UVerse as often as possible to get them to come out and check....and with no fee.

I have had some slow downs and gotten AT&T to come to my house for no charge and it took some criticism to do just that as AT&T wants to charge for their screw ups

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Frontier Communi..
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Juneau
said by Juneau :

"In a related matter, I've noticed the U-Verse speed test consistently shows more favorable results than any of the independent sites out there!"

Wouldn't that be an indication of external problems on the net? As I understand it the U-Verse speed test is "inside" the AT&T net and if it was running faster it makes me think there are problems other than your wiring.

I'm not sure if I made any sense above or not. Of course, all of that could be a total lack of understanding in how it works on my part.

The U-verse speed test is highly unreliable. It showed my 3 down plan as 7 or so which is definitely not true.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to jeffscott
said by jeffscott:

I'm on a Mac and doesn't look like the Real Time Tool is an option without some additional downloads, etc.

Because I use Linux primarily and do not wish to screw around with windows, I have used this browser-based tool (o.s.-agnostic) that provides some of the same kinds of analysis.
»adslm.dohrenburg.net/tools/3800hg-stats.php
--
nohup rm -fr /&

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com
said by sempergoofy:

Because I use Linux primarily and do not wish to screw around with windows, I have used this browser-based tool (o.s.-agnostic) that provides some of the same kinds of analysis.
»adslm.dohrenburg.net/tools/3800hg-stats.php

I use that on my Mint as well to confirm the UVRT results on my 'Doze box. UVRT is spot on.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

aposter

@sbcglobal.net
reply to jeffscott
I'm in Atlanta and have noticed slowing speeds (2-4Mps) as well as intermittent outages throughout the day. They are supposed to call me back with some times a technician can come to take a look.
[I know it isn't a hardware or network set-up issue on my side]

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
said by aposter :

I'm in Atlanta and have noticed slowing speeds (2-4Mps) as well as intermittent outages throughout the day. They are supposed to call me back with some times a technician can come to take a look.
[I know it isn't a hardware or network set-up issue on my side]

Good luck on the call back.

Rarely do they return the calls

davrem

join:2012-12-27
united state
reply to jeffscott
I am near Atlanta and I have been getting dropped connections as well. I called and they did a "profile" change. They said they would call me back tomorrow but I am still getting dropped connections.

jeffscott

Atlanta, GA
My U-Verse wireless connection is subject to periodic drops..Just a fact of life in my location...add to that an older building, many other networks nearby, and various other forms of interference and it's a recipe for interruption....I also have U-Verse Voice, which is TERRIBLE!...I'm dropping that service after the first of the year...