All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Sometwo
join:2008-12-28

Sometwo

New house being wired for DSL

I don't know much of anything about DSL, but my parents are going to have a house built and I believe get 10mbps from CenturyLink. What modem and such should they get to make sure they get the best performance?
Zionikk
join:2012-12-08
North Baltimore, OH

Zionikk

First of all, do you know if there is any other internet service providers in your area?

If you want good performance I would check the other providers first.

Ken1943
join:2001-12-30
Brighton, CO

Ken1943 to Sometwo

to Sometwo
Won't answer about Centurylink, but they should have rooms wired with Telephone, Cable and cat5. Future proof !!
Technicholas
Premium Member
join:2010-11-11
West Des Moines, IA

Technicholas to Sometwo

Premium Member

to Sometwo
Get the faster performance internet 10mbps from Centurylink is slow.

Like Zionikk said explore other carriers before you choose centurylink

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to Sometwo

MVM

to Sometwo
If you get DSL, get a C1000A modem sold at Best Buy in the CenturyLink packaging.

All rooms should have two Cat5e cables and one RG6 coax cable, at a minimum, wired back to a central closet. I would recommend at least three Cat5e cables and two RG6 coax cables from the central closet to the outside NID location. This should cover your needs, regardless of where you get internet and TV from.
Sometwo

Sometwo

Thanks guys. I actually tried talking him into spending a little more for cat6, but he went with cat5e instead.

I don't think there is another broadband provider, but how slow is their 10mbps package? I'm happy with SuddenLinks 10mbps, and they even increased it to I believe 15mbps for free recently.

I'll look into that modem as well, thanks.
Sometwo

1 edit

Sometwo to billaustin

to billaustin
I looked at the C1000A which is a router and modem in one, but he already has a nice router. So can anyone else recommend a good modem to get?

I heard a long time ago you can request which modem you want to rent from CenturyLink. So if CentruryLink only offers tech support for their modems you rent from them, what's the best one to request?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

All you need to do with the C1000A is disable the wireless and put it in bridge mode. That shuts off the routing functions and turns it into a basic DSL modem.
Sometwo

Sometwo

So that is going to be supported by CenturyLink, and will end up cheaper than renting it?

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

As long as the modem is on the supported list, it doesn't matter if it is in bridge mode or routing mode. They may have you switch it to routing mode if they are troubleshooting a problem, but you just change it back when finished.

The C1000A should be $99 at Best Buy in CenturyLink packaging. If you plan on having service more than 20 months, then it is cheaper to buy it.
Sometwo

Sometwo

Sounds good, thanks