spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Keepinitpriv
@start.ca

Keepinitpriv

Anon

[Serious] Fell into some money

So due to a family passing I've inherited my fathers estate, after split and dues it came out to $80K. That was 8 months ago, immediately paid off all our revolving debt at the time, leaving just the mortgage.

To avoid being stupid and foolheardy, I locked the money away (to the chagrin of my wife), lived at our current modest means, still have 75K sitting earning interest (LOL). Problem I'm having is the couple bank based financial planners haven't impressed me with their offers, it's feels like its mainly investments geared to obtaining commissioned earnings.

So open floor, kinda curious on idea's that you would do with a sudden win fall.
Warez_Zealot
join:2006-04-19
Vancouver

Warez_Zealot

Get a safety deposit box, and buy a few thousand ounces of silver, wait ten years and profit!

Silver is at a 55:1 ratio to gold, which is cheaaaaaaap. So you can't loose. (maybe)
Riplin
join:2002-05-13
canada

Riplin to Keepinitpriv

to Keepinitpriv
Well if you want get risky and play the mutual fund markets or stocks.

If you want to be safe as interest rates suck everywhere right now as well as gic's etc.. go with one of the higher interest rates saving acct. at a bank. I know its not much but at least your not locking your money in.

Currently I use Manulife's online only advantage savings which is at 1.65% 75k would give you approx. $80-90 in interest each month.

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
If you want to play it safe with savings/GIC's... go with a bank in Manitoba.

Achieva currently has savings at 2%, and 5 year GIC at %2.85... that's way better than any big bank will ever offer you.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
Of course the bank people are going to offer something that makes them money. In fact, that is all anyone is going to offer you.

You could split it, though it is not that much money, into several things. Max out your RSP for this year and previous years. Whatever is left you could then do your own investing, pick a discount brokerage like e-trade and go do some of your own research. I think retirement planning is the best option for this small amount.

Overall, this is NOT a lot of money. Do not think of it as being much and it will be easier to decide what to do with it. My father in law is a stock broker and he would not consider taking you on, you do not have enough to invest. Most of the experienced good guys are going to be the same.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00 to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
I'm not going to give financial advice nor do I think I'm qualified, but you are absolutely correct about commission-hungry "financial planners." Just as some thoughts, an amount like $80K could all be put into a conservative mixed fund with low management fees, or, if you're willing to ride out the ups and downs of the stock market, an index fund which has almost no management fees at all.

dmas1er
join:2006-10-11
Peterborough, ON

dmas1er to Keepinitpriv

to Keepinitpriv
Live life on the edge... buy stock in RIM.

I bought at 8 bucks....

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium Member
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

A Lurker to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
said by Keepinitpriv :

That was 8 months ago, immediately paid off all our revolving debt at the time, leaving just the mortgage.

So open floor, kinda curious on idea's that you would do with a sudden win fall.

I'm not a financial planner, but on the concept of what I would do with the money... (the exception is that I have only a small equity loan on the house, mortgage paid off years ago with one that allowed me to pay extra any time)

See what the terms are of your mortgage (ie. can you make a one time and/or annual payment to lower the amount).

Top up RRSPs and/or TFSA with low to medium risk investments (depending on your overall financial state).

Keep a % of it easily accessible if any of the following are fairly old in the house: roof, heating system, potential high cost items, etc. Same goes for car (if older and getting up there in repair costs)

If you (or your spouse) are in a lower paying job that you hate, consider returning to school and upgrade your skills.

Take that trip you've always wanted to take.

- - - -

All of them depend on what your general financial situation is. If you can continue to live within your means then do so. From your original post it sounded like you had 5K of revolving debt when you had the windfall. Hopefully in the 8 months since it hasn't started to creep back. I know from a friend that years ago won 250K (encore back before it was a million) that it's easy to not worry about it if you can get to it easily.

They: paid off mortgage, replaced a vehicle, topped up RRSPs, etc. They had little left at that point, but without a fairly substantial mortgage payment left them with less stress and more money overall.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
Sorry to hear about your loss

As for the money... spend a little.. save the rest (I think RBC has a bullion fund that is pretty good

»www.bmginc.ca/benefits_o ··· nds.html
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

RRSP, TFSA.

As for the mutual funds:
Regulators eye crackdown on soaring mutual fund fees
»www.theglobeandmail.com/ ··· 6328913/

FaxCap
join:2002-05-25
Surrey, BC

FaxCap to Keepinitpriv

to Keepinitpriv
Myself.....I would buy 400 shares each of Royal Bank, Scotiabank and Bank of Montreal.

They should bring you just over $3000/year in dividends.

You could also drop one of those 3 banks and buy 200 shares of
either TD or CIBC shares hoping they will split soon.

FaxCap

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
NO pay off your debts, as Ms Lurker put it, see if you can make payments against your mortgage, trust me, you'll be debt free and much happier, then some others here who listen to "financial advisers' are up to their earballs in debt.

Keepinitpriv
@start.ca

Keepinitpriv

Anon

All the revolving debt is payed in full, all that's left is household expenses and our average monthly bills for insurance, vehicles, dining and entertainment.

Mortgage is over 150K left in principal, well before this win fall we've been adding $400 to our payments, no plans to stop that anytime soon.

Right now the money is split in a GIC, and both we and my wife have 20k in TFSA'S just so we are minimizing paying any taxes.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

NO pay off your debts, as Ms Lurker put it, see if you can make payments against your mortgage, trust me, you'll be debt free and much happier, then some others here who listen to "financial advisers' are up to their earballs in debt.

Yes, but living in a new house and driving new cars is the cat's meow and all the rage...if you were in the US pre 2008 I guess.

Pay off all debt, top up RRSP and invest in safe relatively liquid instruments...and watch Doomsday Preppers.

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium Member
join:2005-03-12

Wolfie00

Premium Member

I thought you were going to chime in here to recommend grand larceny as a financial strategy! BTW, is the arrest warrant out yet?

neomathist
join:2002-07-17
Windsor, ON

neomathist to Keepinitpriv

to Keepinitpriv
It seems like you're onto them already as to the fact that the "financial planners" you're talking to most likely are just salespeople. Find a fee only financial planner and/or look into DIY index/ETF investing. There's plenty of free information on the web or spend some free days at the library in the finance/investing section. Lots of great books on the subject with varying strategies.

Though as others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with paying off debts. It's basically a guaranteed return.

The route I went: paid off mortgage and went head first DIY.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to BigSensFan

Premium Member

to BigSensFan
said by BigSensFan:

Sorry to hear about your loss

As for the money... spend a little.. save the rest (I think RBC has a bullion fund that is pretty good

»www.bmginc.ca/benefits_o ··· nds.html

A quick correction for the sake of accuracy, RBC is the back office for BMG, but BMG is it's own company, and isn't associated with RBC otherwise.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
Assuming you don't want to dip into the money of other things, split the money into $10k chunks or so. Buy round lots (multiples of 100 shares) of
- a utility company
- a bank common stock
- another bank preferred stock
- consumer non-durables company (most likely US - like Proctor & Gamble - people brush their teeth even in a recession)
- maybe a food company
- maybe a REIT
- some others which have relatively low P/E's, good earnings growth, decent dividend growth

Where possible take advantage of dividend reinvestment plans, if you're not needing the cash dividend.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
Click for full size
Up or down, who knows
I'm not a bug, however hedging is a valid strategy.

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv

Real return bonds

»www.bylo.org/rrbs.html

»opinion.financialpost.co ··· n-bonds/

is a great investment.
IamGimli (banned)
join:2004-02-28
Canada

IamGimli (banned) to Keepinitpriv

to Keepinitpriv

Re: [Serious] Fell into some money

If your mortgage is at anything over 3% interest rate pay it off as much as you can (without penalty). It might even be beneficial to actually pay the penalty to get out of your current mortgage, apply as much of your inheritance as you can to it and re-negotiate for a shorter term mortgage for the rest at today's extremely low interest rates. Without knowing the specific number involved it's difficult to say for sure if that's the best idea but it is certainly worth considering and running through the numbers.

IMO It'll be the best for your long term financial stability.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Wolfie00

to Wolfie00
said by Wolfie00:

I thought you were going to chime in here to recommend grand larceny as a financial strategy! BTW, is the arrest warrant out yet?

After pulling off what arguably constitutes the largest financial institution fraud in Canadian history I will now retire to spend my largess and consider the book offers and movie scripts that will undoubtedly roll in.

The only problem is who to pick to play me in a movie. Clooney or Pitt? Neither are good looking enough so I might pass on the movie for now.
Expand your moderator at work

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro

Re: [Serious] Fell into some money

said by peterboro:

said by Wolfie00:

After pulling off what arguably constitutes the largest financial institution fraud in Canadian history I will now retire to spend my largess and consider the book offers and movie scripts that will undoubtedly roll in.

The only problem is who to pick to play me in a movie. Clooney or Pitt? Neither are good looking enough so I might pass on the movie for now.

said by peterboro:

said by Wolfie00:

pass on the movie for now LOL Thanks I needed that,I'm grabbing another double rye and coke

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

1 recommendation

Steve to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

The only problem is who to pick to play me in a movie. Clooney or Pitt?

Dame Edna.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
The markets are too risky to invest, Keep it in cash. Agree with perhaps taking half down on the mortgage. Ask yourself if you can afford the current mortgage if rates rise to 6, 12 ,18 percent.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Steve

to Steve
said by Steve:

said by peterboro:

The only problem is who to pick to play me in a movie. Clooney or Pitt?

Dame Edna.

Close, but I'm not into purple this year.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to Keepinitpriv

Premium Member

to Keepinitpriv
All of this is based on me an average ordinary dog poop picker upper debt free nobody.

If it was my situation I would pay down at least a good part of the mortgage, I agree with IamGimli as I doubt you have a rate better than 3 % . Even if some penalty is involved in your current agreement, you may be able to negotiate something with your mortgage holders. You may want to keep part of it as cash for emergency security as Lurker mentioned. Use that as a negotiation tactic with your lender. Invest your cash with them but pay down a chunk with reduced penalty.

On the other hand you have options to invest and your age is a consideration. If you were to go the investment route in some low to medium risk funds you wont do much better than 3 % return with this sum in todays market. This would be suited to a mature approaching retirement profile. if you are young and are willing to take some higher risk over longer term you can do very well for returns, but be prepared to take a buy and hold strategy and not loose sleep or puke over a short term roller coaster ride. I'm talking don't puke and sell if things go bad overnight. Buy and hold means buy and hold. You have to accept trust in the risk of a longer term and higher risk portfolio manager working on your behalf.

But here are never ever guarantees ... Remember past performance does not guarantee future results. Who knows what disaster or world event will crash the market next week, month etc

You didn't mention where your employment income comes from. If you rely on anything but self employment or even if self employed, life is a lot easier to manage without debt hanging over you. Consider for example if you loose your job and you don't have a mortgage vs mortgage with large monthly payments

Every ones goal should be to invest for long term / retirement while at the same time reduce or eliminate debt completely then move forward with an investment strategy. Cash money in the bank earning low interest is a false sense of security if you have debt at higher interest rate. Its still a loosing proposition.

Everyones situation is different based on age, debt, income, timing, risk tolerance and lifestyle. Then throw in some global economy and world events which drive the markets. All of these factors come in to play when you seek advice and ultimately your end results ... wealth and net worth. Early in the game the more you learn and apply will reward you later in your later years.

Best of luck, you are better off to be in the game watching learning and involved to some degree than doing squat.

There is no easy answer.
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

1 edit

vintagewino to Anav

to Anav
said by Anav:

The markets are too risky to invest, Keep it in cash. Agree with perhaps taking half down on the mortgage. Ask yourself if you can afford the current mortgage if rates rise to 6, 12 ,18 percent.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I agree with Anav!

I was in that situation 21 years ago. My mortgage was at 12.75% at that time. It is a wonderful feeling to get that albatross off from around my neck.

Since you say you are "debt free", I assume any and all other loans are paid off. Depending on your preference, maybe set some aside for a vacation. Now:

Look at what is your interest rate on your mortgage. Can you get a guaranteed ROI of double that? As well, you will also need an ROI of 6% to keep your current spending power (inflation). Remember, something called "income tax"? That will remove almost 50% of your ROI.

Find out when your mortgage becomes "open", and place the maximum you can without penalty down on it. Also see about increasing payments (without penalties). When does your mortgage come up for renewal? You can pay the rest of your budgeted inheritance down at that time.

With a mortgage hanging over your head, do not consider yourself "debt free".

I wish everything works out for you.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to Warez_Zealot

Anon

to Warez_Zealot
I've already taken your bet i'm heavy short both gold and silver. Naked uncovered future puts (buy the puts) on both.