Search similar:

uniqs
Jaber
join:2007-07-07
Mount Prospect, IL

Jaber

Hardwood Floors - Cleaning

Morning gents,

Just wondering what everyone uses to clean their hardwood floors and how frequent you should clean them (other than when it's visually really dirty). Our house is only 3 months old, with dark chocolate hardwood floor.

Considering how new the floor is, anything I should stay away from or use specifically? For the kitchen, I've just been using a damp microfiber towel to clean the small spills.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

We just use a Swiffer once a week on our hardwood floors. We have pets so that's why we do it so often.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Jaber

MVM

to Jaber
Most of the time a broom. Otherwise, Bona.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to Jaber

to Jaber
I just use whatever hardwood floor cleaner I can buy at Lowe's Depot or similar. I don't use chemicals very often. Most times it's just a broom or vacuum cleaner on hard floor setting.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

1 recommendation

sempergoofy to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
Another vote for Bona for cleaning hardwood.

I also vacuum it frequently due to dog fur. We have corgis. They only shed twice a year... the first half and the second half.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Jaber

to Jaber
One thing I'd note is if you have furniture on hardwood that has openings and you can't get in easy like a recliner or couch you need to move it to clean once a year. Just opening the front door can be enough movement in the air to push dust under stuff on hardwood floors. On carpet that stuff just stays put but on hardwood it moves. I was shocked the first time I moved the couch when it was on a hardwood floor. After seeing that horror we carpeted the living room 2 weeks later!

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack

I have carpet and I hate it,I can't wait til I am able to put hardwood floors in,it's way tool long overdue.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by Zorack:

I have carpet and I hate it,I can't wait til I am able to put hardwood floors in,it's way tool long overdue.

We have both. They are both great and/or suck depending on the use of the area. We hate hardwood in the living room & bedrooms but love it in the hallways, dining room, & den. Tile for the bathrooms and kitchen. We have hardwood stairs and carpeted stairs. Hardwood are a hazard unless you add carpeted treads but they look much better then fully carpeted stairs. If the living room was smaller an area rug might have worked for us. Also hardwood can create an echo vs carpet. If you install a nice thick padding with carpeting you can reduce noise while hardwood can't. Hardwood is cold on the feet vs carpet. If you own a dog their nails can scratch hardwood very easy depending on their weight/breed. Tons of pro's and con's on both sides depending on all the variables.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to Jaber

to Jaber
Microfiber cloth

workablob
join:2004-06-09
Houston, TX

workablob to Jaber

to Jaber
Swiffer

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to Jaber

MVM

to Jaber
Wife says to add Swiffer also (actually generic swiffer).

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to Jaber

Premium Member

to Jaber
Swiffer or if really dirty, Murphy's Oil concentrate in water, damp mop.

Never heard of Bona before this thread...any good?

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

dcurrey to Jaber

Premium Member

to Jaber
Use vacuum or broom.

When really dirty we use a Hoover Floor mate with Wood Oil soap. Follows that up with Bono. We found what is basically a bona swiffer.

IIIBradIII
Comm M-E-L Instr
join:2000-09-28
Greer, SC

IIIBradIII to Jaber

to Jaber
The flooring co told us not to use anything water based, and recommended Bona.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to Jaber

to Jaber
Never heard of this Bona but it looks decent.
»www.amazon.com/BonaKemi- ··· duct_top

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Yep they are nice. Back in the good old days we just had bona spray bottle and microfiber cloth to do same job. Its probably little cheaper that way as you can just buy new cloths and gallon refills of bona. But bona mop option is easier.

Edit: Can those mop bottles be refilled? Still on original bottle when we purchased the kit.

Draiman
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman

said by dcurrey:

Yep they are nice. Back in the good old days we just had bona spray bottle and microfiber cloth to do same job. Its probably little cheaper that way as you can just buy new cloths and gallon refills of bona. But bona mop option is easier.

I just ordered one to try it. The containers are refillable and the cloths are washable/replaceable on the mop. I'll wrap it up as a gift to the family so it's a present the kids can open but no one gets sharked by getting a crappy present.

dcurrey
Premium Member
Mason, OH

dcurrey

Premium Member

Yep just checked bona site bottles are refillable.
Jaber
join:2007-07-07
Mount Prospect, IL

Jaber

Thanks for the suggestions Just got a gift card for Target, looks like they might have one of those Bonas. Might get one tonight and see how it works.

sempergoofy
Premium Member
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA

sempergoofy to dcurrey

Premium Member

to dcurrey
The Bona kit that I bought at H.D. last year did not have the bottle mounted on the handle. It is a separate hand-trigger bottle. Came with the velcro-backed base with a removable/washable mop head like in the Amazon linked product, and a dust-mop head too. Having the bottle mounted on the handle just makes it look like one of those swiffers.
dmagerl
Premium Member
join:2007-08-06
Woodstock, IL

dmagerl to Jaber

Premium Member

to Jaber
Just avoid anything with silicone in it.

The guy who installed my floor said that when it comes time to refinish a floor they can just scuff sand the floor and put a new coat of finish on. If any silicone has touched the floor, they have to sand down to wood and refinish from scratch.

That includes any overspray from spray furniture polish.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to Jaber

Premium Member

to Jaber
I just use a dilute solution of water and vinegar and a well wringed mop. You don't want a soaking wet mop. Water is bad for the hardwood floor if it's allowed to sit there and soak in. You want the mop to be just moist enough to do the job.

I only need to clean the whole floors maybe once a year. Other than that, it's just spot-cleaning as necessary with a damp rag.

The main thing that helps a lot is wearing socks. Then you don't get any of that foot residue all over the floor. With regular vacuuming, the floor stays quite clean.

Zorack
join:2001-12-14
Fayetteville, WV

Zorack to Jaber

to Jaber
Bona is bonafide in my book :P

netboy34
Premium Member
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA

netboy34 to Jaber

Premium Member

to Jaber
If the floor is really dirty (haven't cleaned it in a couple months for whatever reason) I use the swiffer wet jet with the hardwood floor bottle, then I have one of those 3M use your own solution spray mops with the microfiber cloth. That contains bona cleaner. then I used to use orange-glo, but I picked up a product at Home depot cause they had it on sale and were demoing it, called Rejuvenate. I liked it so much I went back and got the stainless steel cleaner they have, and my fridge and dishwasher look like new. The grill is a little too far gone, but what is left looks like new as well.

robot
join:2003-07-02
Darien, IL

robot to Jaber

to Jaber
When I was home shopping we visited a townhouse that had carpet in the bathrooms (yuck!).

OP: We use a swiffer once a week and a vacuum is there is considerable amount of dust and such.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to Zorack

to Zorack
said by Zorack:

Bona is bonafide in my book :P

I agree. Bona makes some of the best waterborne finishes in the business as well. Traffic is what we've used in our house. One of the hardest finishes around.

Never use wax, furniture polish, etc. I'd recommend the Bona kit also. That's what we've used. But, I have to say, we don't have to use it very often. We don't wear shoes in the house and mostly wear socks. So the floors look really good without much upkeep at all.
Expand your moderator at work

Jan Janowski
Premium Member
join:2000-06-18
Waynesville, NC
·Carolina Mountai..
Synology RT2600ac
Linksys E2000

Jan Janowski to Jaber

Premium Member

to Jaber

Re: Hardwood Floors - Cleaning

There's an Orange Oil Product we got from store that works great on restoring color and shine of the wood... We use it on parquet floors, where it actually absorbs the oil and gives it a real nice shine.....

Be careful, though, it makes it slippery until absorbed...

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 edit

garys_2k to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon
(mod edit to cut spammer quote)
And you came out of nowhere, joined just today, to tell us that? Sounds like spam to me...

pende_tim
Premium Member
join:2004-01-04
Selbyville, DE

1 edit

pende_tim to Jaber

Premium Member

to Jaber
Thanks to all who suggested Bona. I have been struggling with some spots on my floor.

Nothing was effective, so while I was out today, got a spray bottle of this in HD.

All I can say is, wow, as a cleaner, it works.
A few sprays on the floor, some wiping with an old cloth and the spots are gone.