reply to HELLFIRE

Re: [Windows] Business-Grade Router Advice Request

Thanks for the suggestions.

Clarification on the models of the devices:

Modem: Leased by Bell, Cisco 800-series
Router: Linksys WRT54GX
LAN Hub: Dell Powerconnect 2624

Regarding Hellfire's questions, here are the answers:

1) when a disconnect occurs, which router do you need to reboot? the Cisco 800 or the silver one?
- I only need to reboot Silver(Linksys WRT54GX)
2) Is the Cisco 800 owned by you or the telco (Bell, from the looks of it)? Do you have config access to it?
- It is owned by Telco(Bell), and they did not give us config access. I am only given config instruction that I can use on my Router (DNS, Gateway address, etc)
3) how fast is your internet package?
- download speeds of up to 16 Mbps and upload speeds of up to 1 Mbps
- Package detail here : »www.bell.ca/shop/Sb_viewProduct.···_INT_DED
4) if you take the silver box out of the picture, how stable is internet?
- It is then very stable.
5) if the Cisco 800 is recieving the DSL, a)is it getting it via an RJ45 connection or an RJ11 connection, and b)
what's the light status when a disconnect occurs?
- a) via RJ11 Connection
- b) I do not have exact record of light status but, if recalled correctly, either RXD and TXD lights both go off or only one of them blinks

HELLFIRE
Premium
join:2009-11-25
kudos:18
Thanks for the clarification, isampark32... got a few more questions, though.

said by isampark32 :

2) Is the Cisco 800 owned by you or the telco (Bell, from the looks of it)? Do you have config access to it?
- It is owned by Telco(Bell), and they did not give us config access. I am only given config instruction that I can use on my Router (DNS, Gateway address, etc)

Are they handing you a public IP address on the Linksys WRT54GX? I get the feeling the Bell Cisco 800
is operating as a plain old DSL modem / bridge; it's capable of so much more, and I wonder if Bell could
be pursuaded to do more with it... for the right price of course.

Second, you don't have to yank the power cord or reboot the PowerConnect 2624 at any time to restore
service, correct?

Third, what's the IT skillset at the office, especially with networking equipment? If everyone is of
the Linksys / DLINK style of home routers, you're best sticking with equipment that's managed
primarily by a GUI -- Zyxel gear has been mentioned, you can also consider Sonicwall and some of
the older Juniper equipment as well. You should be able to find these second hand on ebay for
your pricerange.

If you're feeling daring / adventurous, a DIY router is also a possibiliy, which only leaves you deciding
what gear for wireless you (prefer) to get.

Let us know what you decide in the end.

Regards