Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

Could copyright laws start another recession?

This ongoing
»www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/13···_appeal/
file sharing case in the US was running through my mind today.

If the US Supreme Court doesn't hear the case and reduce the damage award, the xxIA's will have free run of the table, able to sue and garner catastrophic judgements.

The 2008 recession was caused by government giving banks free rein on the cashbox. The next one might be caused by remaining homeowners being forced to dump properties to pay the MafIAA, or go bankrupt.

zod5000

join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

I think they already have free run at the table. This case and the other one the article mentions are two of the only ones i'm aware of that keep cycling through trials. It never ends well.

They're already at a point where most people are afraid to dispute the letters.

I tend to think the issues will transform the internet itself. The internet started as open and free. It took governments nearly two decades to catch up with it. Now it feels like its being very restricted.

One has to wonder how long its going to be until everything moves to being encrypted to keep away from the prying eyes of big brother.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to MaynardKrebs

She doesn't stand a chance before SCOTUS, they are so PRO Business it's not funny.

These are the same clowns that voted to allow corporations the same rights as people, and allowed elections to become free-for-alls with no funding /donation limits.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium,MVM
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..

When a society begins to crumble under the weight of its own corruption, as is happening in the US, it's usually the highest courts in the land that leads the way into the abyss.

The US supreme court has been corrupt for decades.

Darkness looms large for Americans. We're not far behind.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged