StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

TSA detains sick girl...

Yup the TSA has stopped another terrorist innocent citizen. I feel so safe.

quote:
A 12-year-old girl who uses a wheelchair was detained for nearly an hour at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport by Transportation Security Administration agents who said they detected traces of bomb residue on her hands, according to her mother.

»www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/14/ts···residue/
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3

1 recommendation

hands of disabled children = terrorist weapons

aussiedog

join:2007-01-10
Colorado Springs, CO

2 recommendations

reply to StuartMW
12 years old, sick with a bone disease, traveling for medical treatment, not feeling well, treated like a suspect, scared and kept from her mother...
Reason and logic out the window.
Sadistic bastards.
--
If I can only find my keys...

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

said by aussiedog:

Reason and logic out the window.

And that's why these incidents have and will continue to happen.

The TSA is not allowed to "profile" that is look for people that may present a real threat. They therefore have to consider everyone of any age as a threat. Thus a small child and a grandmother are considered "equal" in that sense. Common sense and reason are thus discarded in the name of not profiling (and therefore offending) anyone.

The TSA will just say they were "following procedure" which is true. They did their job just as an automaton would do. No thought or common sense was required. "Did you follow procedure? Yes sir, we followed all steps in section 156 sub-section 23, paragraph iv". The fact that any reasonable person could determine that the 12-yr wheelchair bound girl posed absolutely no risk was irrelevant to these "officials".

Such are the organizations "keeping you safe".
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW

We are sensitive to the concerns of passengers who were not satisfied with their screening experience and we invite those individuals to provide feedback to TSA through a variety of channels."

That and two dollars will get you a Starbucks.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
You can get Starbucks that cheap?

itsbry

join:2001-02-22
Fernandina Beach, FL

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
If that ended up as a plane with a hole in the side, we'd all be bitching even louder about the same group.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch

4 recommendations

Actually I wouldn't (can't speak for others). I recognize that life itself is risky. If one travels by air there is a remote possibility that the plane could be destroyed by terrorism. It could also crash because of a flock of birds. Or I could have an automobile accident. Or I could fail to see a 18-wheeler while crossing the road.

The point is that any security should be appropriate to the level of risk and in a (supposedly) free society allow citizens to go about their business with a minimum of fuss.

The alternative is a Police State where you have next to no freedom but are "safe" (except from the State).

Your choice.
--

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to sivran
said by sivran:

You can get Starbucks that cheap?

At the coffee shop at the Tuttle Park Place parking garage on the Ohio State campus I can get a Starbucks coffee for $1.60.

Senior coffee at the CMH Airport McDonalds is fifty cents - and it's NOT in the terminal building
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
reply to StuartMW
I always wonder what would happen if one day everyone just started to ignore the TSA.
--
~ Project Hope ~

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Well I don't think any gummint is going to allow its citizens to ignore its authority. At least not for long. If that occurred with the TSA my guess is that they'd be armed or have armed guards.
--

Mannus
Premium
join:2005-10-25
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by StuartMW:

Well I don't think any gummint is going to allow its citizens to ignore its authority. At least not for long. If that occurred with the TSA my guess is that they'd be armed or have armed guards.

The least qualified the lowest bid could buy.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to StuartMW
And do what against a nation of taxpayers who are simply ignoring them?
Do you believe airports full of people would be shot? Arrested? The logistics are difficult.
--
~ Project Hope ~

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 edit
reply to itsbry
said by itsbry:

If that ended up as a plane with a hole in the side, we'd all be bitching even louder about the same group.

Nope. And the chance of that ending up as a plane with a hole in the side is infinitesimal. But thank you for drinking the koolaid.

If you're a TSA agent and get suspicious results, you resolve the situation immediately. You do not stand around for an hour; you do not harass a child; and you do not keep the child from her mother. That's bureaucratic bs, and beyond the pale.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

And do what against a nation of taxpayers who are simply ignoring them?
Do you believe airports full of people would be shot? Arrested? The logistics are difficult.

We are not, yet, a Nation of anarchists. For instance, I could not just ignore them. Even if I could, I would not want to take the chance of seeing what might happen, not just to me but to anyone who might try such folly.
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
Anarchists, patriots, communists, terrorists, I wasn't looking for labels, merely thinking about the stunned looks on the faces of TSA agents everywhere as people simply ignored them.
--
~ Project Hope ~

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to StuartMW
said by StuartMW:

Actually I wouldn't (can't speak for others). I recognize that life itself is risky. If one travels by air there is a remote possibility that the plane could be destroyed by terrorism. It could also crash because of a flock of birds. Or I could have an automobile accident. Or I could fail to see a 18-wheeler while crossing the road.

The point is that any security should be appropriate to the level of risk and in a (supposedly) free society allow citizens to go about their business with a minimum of fuss.

The term we use at work with regards to risks associated to safety and security is ALARP, which stands for As Low As Reasonably Practicable.

In other words, measures should be taken to keep risks as low as possible, but without going overboard to the point where is becomes unreasonably costly and a major hindrance.

When dealing with risk, it's a case of diminishing returns. As some point you need to assess that you're taking enough precautions, but not too many. You can't eliminate risk completely, it is not possible.

I think the TSA and many other aviation security agencies have gone way overboard. They've entered the zone of diminished returns where there is very little reduction of risk but at considerable expense and public inconvenience.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to EUS
said by EUS:

I always wonder what would happen if one day everyone just started to ignore the TSA.

First, they'd probably yell "Freeze!" After that failed to work, they'd call for some supervisors to come review the situation. Finally, they'd summon local police authorities to intervene - who, if they had any sense, would just shrug and walk away. Ah, well... I can always dream...
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to StuartMW
Everything in life has a cost and benefit to it. That includes the TSA. But man, their costs way outweigh the agencies benefit.

The TSA is just one single example of bumbling inefficient bureaucracies and an example of, "We are from the government and are here to help you!"

The TSA staff are improperly trained, underpaid, and in many ways, but not all ways, ineffective while frequently demonstrating inexplicably bad judgment, (as in this particular case), and of just being routinely rude or paranoid to members of the public undeserving of such treatment or attitudes.

To be fair there are a lot of members of the public that provoke or confront frontline TSA reps that have done nothing to deserve such harassment which simply feeds the circle of animosity and problems between both parties.

The TSA so dramatically needs to be reorganized or done away with and replaced by alternatives but it will never happen to any meaningful degree. Very unfortunate.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

... When dealing with risk, it's a case of diminishing returns. As some point you need to assess that you're taking enough precautions, but not too many. You can't eliminate risk completely, it is not possible.

I think the TSA and many other aviation security agencies have gone way overboard. They've entered the zone of diminished returns where there is very little reduction of risk but at considerable expense and public inconvenience.

I think it long ago ceased to be about risk reduction, and instead became all about holding "terrorism" directly in the public's face to keep fear alive. There are a lot of things power-hungry governments can get away with if the public can be made to become fixated on a threat. In this case, the "threat" is dangled before the public at every airport security line, and the DHS functionaries are displayed as "all that stands between travelers and disaster". And as citizens, we not only put up with it, we pay for it as well - in time, money, and humiliation.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

djm61
Change? HAH

join:2001-06-20
Simi Valley, CA

1 recommendation

reply to TheMG
"unreasonably costly and a major hindrance"

A perfect description of the TSA!

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

Nope. And the chance of that ending up as a plane with a hole in the side is infinitesimal. But thank you for drinking the koolaid.

Tell that to the people on Aloha Airlines Flight 243 where the roof was ripped off. It does happen. Now go back to drinking your own koolaid.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

reply to Blogger
underpaid my arse. $18.00 entry level with a lot of OT and federal bennies.. yes, they are underpaid.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

3 recommendations

reply to raythompsontn
said by raythompsontn:

said by goalieskates:

Tell that to the people on Aloha Airlines Flight 243 where the roof was ripped off. It does happen. Now go back to drinking your own koolaid.

Bad example. The Aloha Airlines flight wasn't a terrorist act. It has nothing to do with TSA.

Even so, one flight out of a zillion yearly, and you're willing to give up your rights out of fear. Which would be fine, but you're willing to give up everyone else's rights because you're afraid.

Hate to break it to you, but life has risks. You can toe the government line and still die, difference being you lived a miserable life. So you gave your freedom away for nothing.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by goalieskates:

Bad example. The Aloha Airlines flight wasn't a terrorist act. It has nothing to do with TSA.

Yep. That incident happened in 1988 decades before 9/11 and the formation of the TSA.
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to StuartMW
And yet if the mother had done her motherly instict and pushed the bomb tech aside and told him shes my daughter you can go fuck yourself. She would have been shot 351 times by TSA agents and then tazed just to be sure.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
reply to StuartMW
Last time I accompanied a friend who uses a wheelchair through an American Airport and the TSA checkpoint, we had a very informative TSA person (Las Vegas TSA are great I find). He mentioned that some hand lotions can contain a certain chemical that can trigger a false positive reading when they do their tests. The TSA agent we dealt with tested my friend's wheelchair first and then my friend's hands. Normally if they get a positive result on a test, they should be testing the rest of the chair and user just to make sure it's not a false positive.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12
reply to aussiedog

Ya nothing good about those Bastards.....

POOR GIRL

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Mike_C

Re: TSA detains sick girl...

said by Mike_C:

Last time I accompanied a friend who uses a wheelchair through an American Airport and the TSA checkpoint, we had a very informative TSA person (Las Vegas TSA are great I find). He mentioned that some hand lotions can contain a certain chemical that can trigger a false positive reading when they do their tests. The TSA agent we dealt with tested my friend's wheelchair first and then my friend's hands. Normally if they get a positive result on a test, they should be testing the rest of the chair and user just to make sure it's not a false positive.

The logical thing then would be for TSA to place a notice on their website warning about use of these particular hand lotions when flying. But I guess that would anger the manufacturers?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson