A perfect description of the TSA!

raythompsontn

join:2001-01-11
Oliver Springs, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to goalieskates
said by goalieskates:

Nope. And the chance of that ending up as a plane with a hole in the side is infinitesimal. But thank you for drinking the koolaid.

Tell that to the people on Aloha Airlines Flight 243 where the roof was ripped off. It does happen. Now go back to drinking your own koolaid.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

reply to Blogger
underpaid my arse. $18.00 entry level with a lot of OT and federal bennies.. yes, they are underpaid.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

3 recommendations

reply to raythompsontn
said by raythompsontn:

said by goalieskates:

Nope. And the chance of that ending up as a plane with a hole in the side is infinitesimal. But thank you for drinking the koolaid.

Tell that to the people on Aloha Airlines Flight 243 where the roof was ripped off. It does happen. Now go back to drinking your own koolaid.

Bad example. The Aloha Airlines flight wasn't a terrorist act. It has nothing to do with TSA.

Even so, one flight out of a zillion yearly, and you're willing to give up your rights out of fear. Which would be fine, but you're willing to give up everyone else's rights because you're afraid.

Hate to break it to you, but life has risks. You can toe the government line and still die, difference being you lived a miserable life. So you gave your freedom away for nothing.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
said by goalieskates:

Bad example. The Aloha Airlines flight wasn't a terrorist act. It has nothing to do with TSA.

Yep. That incident happened in 1988 decades before 9/11 and the formation of the TSA.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to StuartMW
And yet if the mother had done her motherly instict and pushed the bomb tech aside and told him shes my daughter you can go fuck yourself. She would have been shot 351 times by TSA agents and then tazed just to be sure.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Mike_C

join:2007-07-19
Vancouver, BC
reply to StuartMW
Last time I accompanied a friend who uses a wheelchair through an American Airport and the TSA checkpoint, we had a very informative TSA person (Las Vegas TSA are great I find). He mentioned that some hand lotions can contain a certain chemical that can trigger a false positive reading when they do their tests. The TSA agent we dealt with tested my friend's wheelchair first and then my friend's hands. Normally if they get a positive result on a test, they should be testing the rest of the chair and user just to make sure it's not a false positive.

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to aussiedog

Ya nothing good about those Bastards.....

POOR GIRL

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Mike_C

Re: TSA detains sick girl...

said by Mike_C:

Last time I accompanied a friend who uses a wheelchair through an American Airport and the TSA checkpoint, we had a very informative TSA person (Las Vegas TSA are great I find). He mentioned that some hand lotions can contain a certain chemical that can trigger a false positive reading when they do their tests. The TSA agent we dealt with tested my friend's wheelchair first and then my friend's hands. Normally if they get a positive result on a test, they should be testing the rest of the chair and user just to make sure it's not a false positive.

The logical thing then would be for TSA to place a notice on their website warning about use of these particular hand lotions when flying. But I guess that would anger the manufacturers?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

DownTheShore
RIP tmpchaos
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:14
reply to StuartMW
And how many thousands of people pass through TSA screenings every day without incident and whose screenings are quick and efficient? We never hear about those - only the anomalies make the news.

Perspective is important.

jimkyle
Btrieve Guy
Premium
join:2002-10-20
Oklahoma City, OK
kudos:2
Reviews:
·AT&T Southwest

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

said by Mike_C:

The logical thing then would be for TSA to place a notice on their website warning about use of these particular hand lotions when flying. But I guess that would anger the manufacturers?

And the next logical thing would be for "anonymous" to organize a whole plane-load of passengers to use that lotion, and tie up the airport for several hours as everyone failed the test...
--
Jim Kyle

Frederick

join:2012-10-14

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore
Here's A perspective: How many incidents of TSA abuse over the years since its creation should the US public tolerate? Here's another point one can't accurately measure or know: How many incidents of abuse have not been reported?

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
reply to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

And how many thousands of people pass through TSA screenings every day without incident and whose screenings are quick and efficient? We never hear about those - only the anomalies make the news.

I've flown to the USA a few times and while all of the screenings I went through were without incident, I can't say that they were "quick and efficient".

Then again, it's not "quick and efficient" here in Canada either. But at least we get to keep our shoes on.

On average I've spent significantly more time waiting in security line-ups at airports, than the amount of time spent at the check-in counters.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
·Speakeasy
reply to Mike_C
said by Mike_C:

One of the reasons I won't fly if possible. And God only knows what has rubbed off other's hands onto those of the wheel chairs...things that are not false positives!
--
JKK

Age is a very high price to pay for my maturity. If I can't stay young, I can at least stay immature!

»www.pbase.com/jaykaykay

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
reply to StuartMW
One more reason not to fly or even step into an airport. I'm pondering a trip to the east coast to visit some friends, when I go I will be enjoying my TSA-free trip in a CAR. Sure its more expensive than flying but paying that premium to avoid this nonsense is worth it.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to find myself on the "no fly list" anyway so if I need to travel it will be by automobile.
--

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18

1 recommendation

reply to TSAoverrated
said by TSAoverrated :

underpaid my arse. $18.00 entry level with a lot of OT and federal bennies.. yes, they are underpaid.

They're underpaid in terms of what their skills, education, and training should be. They are not underpaid in term of what their skills, education, and training are now.

In other words given what they are supposed to accomplish and their theoretical responsibility they should have better people and better methods and along with that a better wage. The three are interlinked.
Expand your moderator at work

join:2012-12-11
North Coast
reply to StuartMW

Re: TSA detains sick girl...

When they were first forming the TSA they talked about how difficult it was going to be to become an agent at an airport, how much training they were going to get, among other things, what happen?

Are they working with a "zero tolerance" policy? We all know how well that works out in most cases.

It has been many years since I flew, it was after the liquid quantity restrictions but prior to the X-ray scanners and I had ZERO problems going through security while most around me were, and those I could hear what was going on, it was self-inflicted.

MY conversation with the security agent;
Agent: Ticket and ID please.
I hand him both, he looks at the ticket and ID then me, then hands them back.
Agent: Have a nice flight
Me: Thank You.
Total time.. MAYBE 5 minutes

I checked my luggage(2 medium cases) and carried with me a book, my Cell, a small leather folder holding my boarding pass and some paper, a small amount of cash, and my wallet.

I was at the airport almost four hours before my take off time planning on there being a long wait, I had to sit at my gate for about three and 1/2 hours.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
I bet you wouldn't check those TWO small suitcases today...not at $35-60 a pop going AND coming. You'd check ONE larger suitcase so a lesser fee...or better, do what everyone else does who isn't rich, stuff it in a carry-on and then you would have to present the correct size baggie with your toiletries to the agent, etc. It would take more than 5 minutes. Plus, after January 15 you would have to have REAL ID to fly (at least here in Hawaii).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
reply to StuartMW
As much as I have flown, I was only hassled once by TSA. And it was well before 9/11.

I was flying to Colorado from Hampton, VA. About 4 flights. Of the 8 in total, just one agent questioned the device in my briefcase. It was an instrument for measuring temperature for printing ovens. About 10"x6" 1 inch thick steel with electronics on the inside. I couldn't have brought anything that looked more like a bomb.

And the lady who questioned it was hyper freaked out. Drew her gun on me!....
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
Galt's Gulch
said by Ian:

As much as I have flown, I was only hassled once by TSA. And it was well before 9/11.

You may have been hassled by airport security but it wasn't the TSA. I didn't exist before November 19th 2001. Also DHS didn't exist prior to 9/11 either.
--

Ian
Premium
join:2002-06-18
ON
said by StuartMW:

said by Ian:

You may have been hassled by airport security but it wasn't the TSA. I didn't exist before November 19th 2001. Also DHS didn't exist prior to 9/11 either.

Whatever the heck US airport security was called then.
--
“Any claim that the root of a problem is simple should be treated the same as a claim that the root of a problem is Bigfoot. Simplicity and Bigfoot are found in the real world with about the same frequency.” – David Wong

NefCanuck

join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·voip.ms
reply to StuartMW
Things like this make me wonder just how effective the Americans with Disabilities Act actually is.

I mean really, surely someone on the TSA staff at that airport should have known better than to have let this happen

Coming back to Canada from NY through LGA in 2011 after visiting some friends there I had my knee brace checked and swabbed for explosives residue. Wasn't the most pleasant experience in the world, but it was leagues ahead of this

NefCanuck

ctggzg
Premium
join:2005-02-11
USA
reply to StuartMW
Maybe you should blame the terrorists who strap bombs to kids. Or just get over it.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium
join:2002-09-10
canada
Reviews:
·voip.ms
said by ctggzg:

Maybe you should blame the terrorists who strap bombs to kids.

Does this occur in the US frequently? Ever?
--
~ Project Hope ~

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to TheMG
said by TheMG:

I've flown to the USA a few times and while all of the screenings I went through were without incident, I can't say that they were "quick and efficient".

Then again, it's not "quick and efficient" here in Canada either. But at least we get to keep our shoes on.

On average I've spent significantly more time waiting in security line-ups at airports, than the amount of time spent at the check-in counters.

What really burns me up is the monetization of the the security checkpoints. I'm referring to Nexus/Global Entry/Pre check/Frequent flyer priority lanes.

Why the hell is it OK to let SOME people bypass security checks? Do they not think that someone looking to get past security might go through the process to get one of these things?

Even just access to shorter lines for frequent flyers seems wrong to me. These things remove incentive for the TSA to improve the process for ALL passengers.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
said by djrobx:

What really burns me up is the monetization of the the security checkpoints. I'm referring to Nexus/Global Entry/Pre check/Frequent flyer priority lanes.

Why the hell is it OK to let SOME people bypass security checks? Do they not think that someone looking to get past security might go through the process to get one of these things?

Even just access to shorter lines for frequent flyers seems wrong to me. These things remove incentive for the TSA to improve the process for ALL passengers.

I do not know about the use of such programs like Global Entry, Nexus, or Sentri for going through airport checkpoints. I only am familiar with them to re-enter the United States, (in my experience by car from Mexico using Sentri.) All I can say is that the application process and the background screening to obtain the "pass" is extensive and includes a personal interview. Any blot or irregularity in your background or application will fail you.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to StuartMW
Employment of the priority-lanes is based on three assumptions:
1. That the Global Entry/Nexus/Sentri/PreCheck/FrequentFlyer traveler's identification can't be faked (that is, the flyer really is who he says he is, and so his background and general inclinations have already been in-depth screened)
2. That the in-depth advance screening from a prior time is adequate to assure the person's trustworthiness at the current moment.
3. That a flyer not advance-screened is more likely to present a threat.

I'll leave it to others to argue whether any or all of these assumptions are valid.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville