Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to norbert26

Re: hydronic heat issue

Baseboard hot water heating radiators do not get air bound as the circulating pump forces hot water through each one in the loop and then back to the boiler to be reheated. They are a series loop and what goes into the first one has to come out the last one.

norbert26
Premium
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

said by Jack_in_VA:

Baseboard hot water heating radiators do not get air bound as the circulating pump forces hot water through each one in the loop and then back to the boiler to be reheated. They are a series loop and what goes into the first one has to come out the last one.

if its just one big loop yes. However usually there is a split in the loop or zones for example after leaving the boiler there is a tee where one side will go to the back of the house the other will serve the front. In rare cases one side could become airbound or worse a pipe could freeze. However in most cases one side of the house would simply get more heat then the other. One side rarely becomes completely airbound but not 100% impossible as i have seen many different installations. This is why there are air bleed valves on both sides of a loop some installations even had an airbleed in every room. Again i can not stress enough each install is different and i don't know how the OPs rental is plumbed.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom

If the system is zoned the zone control valves usually are located right at the boiler on a header on the hot water outlet of the boiler.

When a zone thermostat calls for heat the corresponding zone valve opens, the circulating pump starts and supplies hot water to that zone.