Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to bbeesley

Premium Member

to bbeesley

Re: Bell System

My wife and I are pretty comfortable but we couldn't stand a WISP up with our savings without opening ourselves up to major risk if something were to happen to either one of us (such as the loss of a job.)

I think you underestimate the amount of money something like this takes.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

said by drew:

My wife and I are pretty comfortable but we couldn't stand a WISP up with our savings without opening ourselves up to major risk if something were to happen to either one of us (such as the loss of a job.)

Starting a wisp can be VERY reasonable, there are many people on this site that have done it with under $1000 to their name. Everyone hopes their buisness will grow into more and grow bigger. The problem is, there's just not enough money in it. The guys that make an OK living for themselves, have hundreds of customers and are run ragged. The ones that stay small and maintain their networks make enough to make a decent side wage, but still need a 9-5 to support their families.

bbeesley
join:2003-08-07
Richardson, TX

bbeesley to drew

to drew
said by drew:

I worked as a Director at a major cable company for 13 years, prior to that I worked operations at the largest dialup ISP in Oklahoma.

Got a really good idea how much.....could do it for mid-five figures on a small scale.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

said by bbeesley:

You don't have to start big and borrow money, you can start small with a good idea and build it.

said by bbeesley:

Got a really good idea how much.....could do it for mid-five figures on a small scale.

Does not compute.
« Really? No kidding?Won't happen »
This is a sub-selection from Bell System