Premium Member
join:2007-07-08
Hamilton, ON

Marcer to Davesnothere

Premium Member

to Davesnothere

Re: [INTERNET] Ultimate Packages

said by Davesnothere:

Cogeco is likely just trying to limit their support training span.

Cogeco continues to support Windows XP for Express and Turbo Internet packages, therefore all representatives are trained on troubleshooting this operating system.

During initial testing with the Ultimate packages it was determined that a number of test machines running Windows XP required extensive modification to the TCP/IP settings in the registry to consistently achieve the top download speeds possible with the Ultimate packages. As we would not support/encourage registry modification, and as current operating systems (Vista SP2, and Windows 7) support these speeds without modification, they are part of the minimum requirements for the service.
said by Davesnothere:

HOWEVER, don't forget to insist on a D3 series modem (do not try to reuse an older D2 one which you might have, in order to save a few bucks), EVEN if they say it is supported on the Cogeco network !

D2 modems get bogged down easily during peak periods - you will not be pleased if you try one on that speed of account - personal experience speaking here - I did not like how a D2 behaved, even on a 16/1 feed from START/Cogeco.

All Cogeco customers subscribing to Turbo 20, Ultimate 30 and Ultimate 55 will have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem installed.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by Marcer:

said by Davesnothere:

Cogeco is likely just trying to limit their support training span.

Cogeco continues to support Windows XP for Express and Turbo Internet packages, therefore all representatives are trained on troubleshooting this operating system.

During initial testing with the Ultimate packages it was determined that a number of test machines running Windows XP required extensive modification to the TCP/IP settings in the registry to consistently achieve the top download speeds possible with the Ultimate packages....

That's good to know.

However, as I suggested above, my Cogeco 30/2 package (on their Cisco DPC3000 D3 modem) worked flawlessly from a technological perspective (at Cogeco's claimed speeds), with no unorthodox settings changes at MY end - AND with my trusty Linksys WRT54GL router - which itself is not considered current either.

That performance was part of why I felt OK to consider START when later on THEY began to offer TPIA with Cogeco.

My reasons for making the change of providers were (also as detailed above) :

(1) Policies and Politics (mostly)

(2) Price

BTW, my comment about the modems was more for folks on TPIA rather than Cogeco retail customers, and I DID receive the correct modem from Cogeco at the time of their original install.