spc
Search similar:

uniqs

FF4m3
@rr.com

FF4m3

Anon

Pentagon Hacker Gary McKinnon Will NOT Be Prosecuted

Pentagon hacker McKinnon will NOT be prosecuted in the UK - 14th December 2012 15:44 GMT:

His decade of stress ends today

Pentagon hacker Gary McKinnon will not be prosecuted in the UK, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) announced in the past hour.

The decision comes after his extradition to the US was blocked by Blighty's government.

Home Secretary Theresa May withdrew an extradition order against the 46-year-old Brit on medical and human rights grounds in October. Five psychiatrists warned there was a risk McKinnon, who suffers from Asperger Syndrome and depression, would commit suicide rather than accept extradition to America.

US authorities had sought to secure the extradition McKinnon on trial to put him and jail him for accessing US military and NASA computers between 2001 and early 2002.

McKinnon, who lives in London, was arrested in March 2002 by officers from the UK's since disbanded Hi-Tech Crime Unit. His case was put on hold until US extradition proceedings began in 2005. McKinnon's family and his many supporters fought a fierce and ultimately successful campaign against extradition. The campaigners consistently argued that McKinnon ought to be tried in the UK, if anywhere.

Expand your moderator at work

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to FF4m3

MVM

to FF4m3

Re: Pentagon Hacker Gary McKinnon Will NOT Be Prosecuted

No doubt this whole thing borders on the weird and there will be some form of fallout from this (other then me moving to the UK to be under the protective UK hacker umbrella). Mental health issues and responsibility are going to come under intense scurrility given recent events as society figures out how to protect itself from those who apparently can't control their actions and hence not be held responsible for their actions or even possible actions. In short the weirdness is just beginning. In some ways it might be a correction, in others ways a witch hunt.

Blake

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

Indeed! I think Western-influenced cultures for many years have wrestled with what to do when mentally-perturbed individuals commit crime, not to mention what should fall under the mentally-ill label. It's been argued by some that no sane, mentally-responsible person will even commit certain kinds of crime... so the kind of crime could even influence an understanding of whether the perp is sane or not. Yet crimes almost demand appropriate punishment for the perpetrator, both for "justice" and to discourage others - so what to do with a mentally-ill perp? Like you, I only see this all intensifying. In some non-Western cultures, a perp's mental state is almost irrelevant to the punishment for an offense, so it's a non-issue for them (for better or worse).
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
2001 and 2002 is a bit of an LOL that it has been going on this long. I mean I doubt he got anything of use. Anything important on the milnet would not have been accessible from the outside I would hope. And NASA... well what did he do? get the blue prints for the ISS and the Shuttle?

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

2001 and 2002 is a bit of an LOL that it has been going on this long. I mean I doubt he got anything of use. Anything important on the milnet would not have been accessible from the outside I would hope. And NASA... well what did he do? get the blue prints for the ISS and the Shuttle?

I know from experience that some NASA work has been done jointly (if not openly) with certain DoD players. The data products of some of that research would be very highly classified, though it's doubtful (but not impossible) that such could be accessed via milnet or whatever else was NASA on-line accessible.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to FF4m3

MVM

to FF4m3
Former school security chief who knew Adam Lanza mentions that he had some mental health issues including Asperger Syndrome.

»www.calgaryherald.com/kn ··· ory.html

Blake

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by Link Logger:

Former school security chief who knew Adam Lanza mentions that he had some mental health issues including Asperger Syndrome.

»www.calgaryherald.com/kn ··· ory.html

I know several Asperger-labeled individuals fairly well. All of them seem to have difficulty or inability to connect the socialization part of their minds with its ordinary, day-to-day functionality. This leaves them disconnected or estranged in various social-interaction scenarios, and they sometimes experience sensations of hostility or resentment toward the ordinary people involved in such encounters, perhaps because the nuances of socialization race right past them or get misinterpreted. At the same time, they seem more able or free to apply logic or focus to certain detailed impersonal sitations. In a real world filled with other people with whom interaction must occur, it can be a tough place for such people to dwell. Just sayin'...

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium Member
join:2001-07-23
Bristol, CT

DrStrange to FF4m3

Premium Member

to FF4m3
For what it's worth, McKinnon said he was looking for evidence of a UFO cover-up.
Here's his take on things, tinfoil notwithstanding:

quote:
“I knew that governments suppressed antigravity, UFO-related technologies, free energy or what they call zero-point energy. This should not be kept hidden from the public when pensioners can’t pay their fuel bills,”

»www.ufocasebook.com/mcki ··· ies.html
DrStrange

DrStrange to Blackbird

Premium Member

to Blackbird
Think of Asperger's as 'social dyslexia'. They might eventually 'get it' regarding social situations, but it requires a great deal of patient individual attention over many years.

The online community is one place where people with Asperger's can interact with others without the Asperger's getting in the way. You can't misinterpret nonverbal communication or body language when you can't see the other person. This makes anything Internet-related highly attractive to anyone with Asperger's.

A lot of people with Asperger's end up in IT. The mental advantages that are the trade-off for the 'social dyslexia' are very helpful when dealing with computers.