how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

caca

join:2012-11-19
Kitchener, ON

help setting ip

hello all am having problems when i set up my pc to have static ip for some reason another device takes the same ip and i can`t use it for ex pc i make it 192...11 than what ever else will take that it is there anyway to fix this am using hitron i need the pc to be .11 cause of my apple tv so i don`t have to set up a new connection every time

justaguy

@rogers.com
Best thing to do is change all your devices to static IP

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to caca
i have done that to but some times doing that with the ps3 i have 2 they kinda work slow how about the setting for lease can i put thyat for ever???instead of 2weeks??

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
The standard approach would be to use an IP address OUTSIDE the range that the DHCP server is assigning.

From looking at a copy of a manual for the Hitron that I found online, it would appear that the DHCP server hands out addresses in the 192.168.2.10 through 192.168.2.199 range..

This would suggest that making your PC 192.168.2.9 would be one option, or change the range that the DHCP server hands out.

Some DHCP servers also allow you to "reserve" an IP address for a device by letting you enter the MAC address of a device and assigning it an IP address there. This approach has the advantage of letting other network settings (for instance DNS servers) still be centrally managed via the DHCP server, while still letting others seem to be static.

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to caca
how can i do that trog am not very good with this kinda stuff also you said i can make it 98.168.2.199 but my is a 0 instead of a 2

trog

join:2001-03-25
Scarborough, ON
Sorry.. .I'm so used to the IP address range I use....

The router (at least according to manual from »www.westmancom.com/fileadmin/con···tron.pdf) is using assigning DHCP addresses from 192.168.0.10 to 192.168.0.199; so just use (for instance) 192.168.0.5 for your PC as a static address.

caca

Kitchener, ON
reply to caca
the problemwith that i have my apple tv share with my pc to that ip 11 and i cant change it wont let me or give me bunch of errors and i cant do it how about if i put the lease time forever would that work also??