join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

rfnut to Anonymous88

Premium Member

to Anonymous88

Re: [IA] Mediacom usage meter not working

said by Anonymous88:

said by rfnut:

Are you really asking for this persons password? Even for the reasons stated, I would not be comfortable with this.

You do realize they can reset/suspend any account if they wanted to?

There is a huge difference between an administrative action such as above and accessing someones account and testing various things. NO ONE who has the capability of actually accessing the account NEEDS my password. Period.
If they want to use my account to perform troubleshooting with or without my permission they can change the password themselves and then tell/allow me to reset it myself afterward. This creates the proper accountability of actions. I am not the paranoid type, but if I were in the same situation I would politely give permission for them to use my account as they need. I will not ever provide a password. Probably the DoD IT Admin Security training in me though.

Edit: BTW I trust MediacomChad See Profile. He has performed miracles at times for users here. I still would not give him my password. Trust is not the issue.
k9iua6
join:2004-05-23
Dubuque, IA

k9iua6

I would think a technical shop would have their own set of "customer" accounts, including extra internal modem connections, to be testing any of their changes with. I wouldn't think they'd need to use a real customer account to test this, unless they truly think it is an account configuration issue that might be very unique in its cause and impact. And if so, then they have bigger problems in how they've implemented a monitoring too like this if they expect it to work correctly for everyone.