MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to StuartMW

Premium Member

to StuartMW

Re: TSA detains sick girl...

said by StuartMW:

Actually I wouldn't (can't speak for others). I recognize that life itself is risky. If one travels by air there is a remote possibility that the plane could be destroyed by terrorism. It could also crash because of a flock of birds. Or I could have an automobile accident. Or I could fail to see a 18-wheeler while crossing the road.

The point is that any security should be appropriate to the level of risk and in a (supposedly) free society allow citizens to go about their business with a minimum of fuss.

The term we use at work with regards to risks associated to safety and security is ALARP, which stands for As Low As Reasonably Practicable.

In other words, measures should be taken to keep risks as low as possible, but without going overboard to the point where is becomes unreasonably costly and a major hindrance.

When dealing with risk, it's a case of diminishing returns. As some point you need to assess that you're taking enough precautions, but not too many. You can't eliminate risk completely, it is not possible.

I think the TSA and many other aviation security agencies have gone way overboard. They've entered the zone of diminished returns where there is very little reduction of risk but at considerable expense and public inconvenience.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird

Premium Member

said by TheMG:

... When dealing with risk, it's a case of diminishing returns. As some point you need to assess that you're taking enough precautions, but not too many. You can't eliminate risk completely, it is not possible.

I think the TSA and many other aviation security agencies have gone way overboard. They've entered the zone of diminished returns where there is very little reduction of risk but at considerable expense and public inconvenience.

I think it long ago ceased to be about risk reduction, and instead became all about holding "terrorism" directly in the public's face to keep fear alive. There are a lot of things power-hungry governments can get away with if the public can be made to become fixated on a threat. In this case, the "threat" is dangled before the public at every airport security line, and the DHS functionaries are displayed as "all that stands between travelers and disaster". And as citizens, we not only put up with it, we pay for it as well - in time, money, and humiliation.

djm61
Change? HAH
join:2001-06-20
Simi Valley, CA

1 recommendation

djm61 to TheMG

to TheMG
"unreasonably costly and a major hindrance"

A perfect description of the TSA!