All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan to stevey_frac

to stevey_frac

Re: Kickstarter for funds VS Voltage Lawsuits-CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED!

I don't understand why a moderator would delete my post when all I did was suggest that people should defend themselves in court rather than spending money on a lawyer. The maximum penalty they face is $5000. This would be handled in small claims court.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by Rastan:

I don't understand why a moderator would delete my post when all I did was suggest that people should defend themselves in court rather than spending money on a lawyer. The maximum penalty they face is $5000. This would be handled in small claims court.

Voltage is filing in federal court. There is no way you can have it transferred to small claims. Its a federal law being broken, and so federal court is where it stays.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm

Anon

said by resa1983:

said by Rastan:

Voltage is filing in federal court. There is no way you can have it transferred to small claims. Its a federal law being broken, and so federal court is where it stays.

Resa,
I rolled my eyes and thought the same, and still think the same.

But I looked into it (you should to). I think I saw it stated on either the QC or ON legal aid site that if your case is in fed court and it's below something like 7,000$ (forget the value) you can "ask" the court to move it to small claims. Doesn't mean it will be, but you can request this.

At least this is what I read after "Gone" and "Peterboro" first mentioned this in CanChat I think it was...
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

said by hm :

said by resa1983:

said by Rastan:

Resa,

But I looked into it (you should to). I think I saw it stated on either the QC or ON legal aid site that if your case is in fed court and it's below something like 7,000$ (forget the value) you can "ask" the court to move it to small claims. Doesn't mean it will be, but you can request this.

At least this is what I read after "Gone" and "Peterboro" first mentioned this in CanChat I think it was...

Thats probably why they're pulling the commercial infringement bull then - so they don't have to fight 2k+ battles in small claims, which would be expensive as hell for them. Commercial infringement is the $20k figure.
funny0
join:2010-12-22

funny0 to Rastan

to Rastan
said by Rastan:

because lawyers and judges are like buddies and if you dont show up with one they think your not serious about defending yourself and give you the maximums far more often....you might do it later after a few good defences....but if you mess p its usually very bad
and i'd never show up to a trial without one...even if he just sits there like a stuffed doll
funny0

funny0 to hm

to hm
said by hm :

said by resa1983:

said by Rastan:

Resa,

and once you show that voltage cant prove commercial infringement then the max is 5 grand ergo ONLY small claims court....
bring that up in court that they are trying to game the system because how can the uploader and downloader have no money exchange hands as ip addresses and voltage say its commercial ...they can't no money exchanged hands. So handing over a persons identification and address won't mean a thing either.

Just ask the case against you be dismissed and for all the mentioned on those grounds....then voltage spends more money and refiles fine they get the ids and data BUT now your in small claims court ergo legal aid for lawyers for the poor and the rest we'll get you a lawyer...ive got 100-200$ right now for it....

and that money would have gone and been spent in a local economy so whom loses....