uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

1 edit

[Bill] Big Chicago price increase

Beginning in January,there are some big price increases in Chicago. The Preferred and Blast! Internet packages are now going up $3. Preferred will now be $51.95. It was $42.95 for a long time, then they went up $2 at a time, now $3. I best most of that is to pay for ESPN3, HBOGo, and other exclusive crap.

travelguy

join:1999-09-03
Santa Fe, NM

Cable TV pricing (and price increases) are based on what customers are willing to pay and the amount of discretionary income they have, not what Comcast programming expenses are. Attempts to link specific increases with specific expenses are PR exercises.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

said by travelguy:

Attempts to link specific increases with specific expenses are PR exercises.

Ha - that's one viewpoint and is sometimes true, but there are also times when there are direct relationships as was suggested in the OP.

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to andyross

Click for full size
downloadNew Prices.pdf 1,079,342 bytes
Here is a copy of the new prices in the Chicago area.

dead_screem

join:2004-09-10
Carol Stream, IL
reply to andyross

I'm most pissed because the 2 free DTAs that are supposed to be included with the TV package are now taken away, and are now 1.99 each. none are included anymore. anyone who got the 2 free DTAs during the all digital transition now have to return them or start paying. bullshit.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to AVonGauss

Look at it this way. If Comcast thought they could raise rates even without any programming cost increases, do you think they would say "no, we're making enough right now?"

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

You're trying to assert it has nothing to do with the rate increase, which is an opinion, not a fact.

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM

1 edit

Unfortunately, you are trying to assert that the rate increase is tied to a specific programming cost increase, which is an opinion, not a fact.

The fact is that in an unregulated market, prices are set by the market. Period. Which is what the customer is willing to pay. A seller can charge less than what the buyer is willing to pay (called leaving money on the table), but why would they?

Now, over the long term, the seller must cover their costs, and make a profit. Otherwise they won't stay in business. Either they go bankrupt or they decide the money they are making isn't covering the hassle of all the work.

For discretionary things like entertainment, the amount the customer is will to pay rises with the general economy. It also rises when the economy is bad and people look for less expensive entertainment options. The programming suppliers know this. That's why they raise their rates - to capture some of that increase. Otherwise the increase would go to the cable companies.

But make no mistake - the rates will go up regardless. BTW - have you ever looked at the price history for tickets to any of the Disney properties? You might find it eye opening - and they don't have to contend with supplier rate increases.

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL

Actually, No, I'm not - I would never presume to know why Comcast does some of things that they do, especially on the CATV side of the house.

The rate increase could be caused by additional expenditures such as contracts with ESPN, HBO or it could the person in charge of setting the rates in the Chicago market may have just felt like raising rates. It doesn't have to fit any model, sometimes its completely chaotic and just happens.

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:6

I suppose there are also the additional expenditures for enhancing and expanding their HSI network, for which the improvements may be recently accelerating to keep up with the ever-increasing demand for higher speeds (upstream as well as down) and to stay competitive with all the existing (FiOS) and new FTTH systems.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
join:2004-05-14
Villa Park, IL
reply to andyross

I'm seeing two different line items for "Blast!" internet service and "Extreme 50".

I thought Blast was supposed to be 50 Mbps download. If so, what's the difference between Blast and Extreme 50?

When will comcast grow up and actually list their speeds instead of promotional/marketing names *sigh*

aabaaf

join:2011-12-09
Lombard, IL

Chicago has not yet been upgraded where BLAST is 50 down. That's why there are 2 prices. The North East where they have competition with something that can as fast is the only place that has been upgraded thus far. They are "soon" expanding that to other markets, but not yet.

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL
reply to andyross

Nevermind. After looking it up, Blast is 30Mbps. I guess we're not in a area where Blast is 50

Clever_Proxy
Premium
Villa Park, IL
reply to aabaaf

Exactly. Thank you!

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to aabaaf

Click for full size
said by aabaaf:

The North East where they have competition with something that can as fast is the only place that has been upgraded thus far. They are "soon" expanding that to other markets, but not yet.

Not exactly...

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
reply to andyross

Chicago isn't the only place having an Increase. Here in southeast Michigan we also got increase coming next year. It was like here is your increase Merry Xmas.
--
Mr. Donut

travelguy

Santa Fe, NM
reply to Clever_Proxy

said by Clever_Proxy:

I thought Blast was supposed to be 50 Mbps download. If so, what's the difference between Blast and Extreme 50?

Blast is migrating to 50 and Extreme is migrating to 105. Unfortunately, the changes are rolling out neighborhood by neighborhood and I haven't seen any published schedules.