uniqs
share rss forum feed

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

2 edits

[Price] Chicago price increases

Lots of price increases next month in Chicago.

Most video packages are going up $2. HD Tech up $1 (even though we have FEWER HD channels than a year ago). Internet (Performance and Blast) up $3. DTA grandfathering eliminated (unless you are Basic.)

My bill will go up $8 + taxes (TV, 'grandfathered' DTA, Internet, HD.)

Looking in more detail: Anyroom service DOWN $1. Additional full boxes up $1. S&E up $1. Up/downgrade of service w/o visit DOWN $2.01. Self-install kit up $5.

PS: I wanted to post the list, but the PDF version has my billing info on the top of each page, and I can't figure out how to delete it or permanently cover it without doing a print/rescan. I do have an ancient full Adobe 5.0 (not just the reader.)

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit
said by andyross:

DTA grandfathering eliminated (unless you are Basic.)

Down here this (exception) ALSO applies to Family & Digital Economy subs...

jl747

join:2005-03-24
Mount Prospect, IL
reply to andyross
Click for full size
downloadNew Prices.pdf 1,079,342 bytes
Here is a PDF of the new prices in the Chicago area.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
reply to dishrich
said by dishrich:

said by andyross:

DTA grandfathering eliminated (unless you are Basic.)

Down here this (exception) ALSO applies to Family & Digital Economy subs...

A closer reading of the list does show that the DTA charge applies to Digital Starter and above.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
reply to andyross
$10 a box / outlet??? And dvr's to be $17-$20 each now??

Wow cable, U-Verse , dish , directv all have lower outlet box fees.

Now why can't we buy them?? a HD box should only cost around $200 but seeing how old the comcast stuff is they are well payed for by now.

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL
wouldn't matter if you could by them. Then comcast would just have a $10 outlet fee for each of your boxes (just as they have been adding for tivos and cable card devices.) You can't win, unless you disconnect.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
no they will have to list the outlet and rent fees on there own.

So if you by maybe it will cost $1-$3 in outlet fess when you own the box vs $10 for rent + outlet.

halfband
Premium
join:2002-06-01
Huntsville, AL

1 edit
The outlet fees being charged in some areas to cable card users are closer to $6 to $10. I seriously doubt that fees would be anywhere near $3. There is just too much money at stake here, and Hollywood wants there cut, an per outlet is what they want. Comcast gets to collect their piece as well.
--
Registered Bandwidth Offender #40812

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
I've yet to see evidence that the content companies are getting paid per outlet. I'll I've ever found is that they are paid per account.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to andyross
Looks like Comcast is not alone in having rate increases next year:

DIRECTV, Comcast & Dish Raising Prices
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - December 20, 2012
»www.tvpredictions.com/prices122012.htm
Washington, D.C. - Dish yesterday confirmed that it's raising monthly programming packages by at least $5 a month starting in January. And it's not the only TV provider who will soon raise your monthly rates.

Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, tells the Denver Post that his company plans a "moderate increase" in rates next year. He said he did not have specifics yet, but DIRECTV has traditionally raised monthly fees once a year by 3 to 4 percent.

Comcast is also raising rates, according to the Post. Cindy Parson, a Comcast spokeswoman, says rates will go up an average of 3.3 percent, although that will vary by city. By example, Parsons says, the monthly rate for leasing an HD DVR will go up from $16.95 to $17.95.
:
In addition, as reported first yesterday by SatelliteGuys.us, Dish subscribers will see their monthly programming packages rise at least $5 a month starting in January. Dish spokesman John Hall blamed the increase on the rising cost of acquiring programming.

"Programming costs are rising year over year...which means consumers are having to pay higher prices for their programming packages," Hall told the Post.

Other TV providers are likely to announce price increases as well in the next few weeks.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to Zoder
they are paid per subscriber but how can they tell subscribers? Accounts or boxes per account?

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
That's the thing. Cable companies that still have an analog tier have up to 80 channels that can be received by plugging directly into the tv. Those channels are definately not getting paid per outlet.

Then you have ClearQAM.

Finally and most importantly, whenever you see a report about how much a channel is receiving for payment it's by subscriber as you said. The price is listed as per subscriber. There is no way the outlet fee would be able to cover the fees Comcast and the other providers would have to pay for each channel if they had to pay it per outlet and not per subscriber.

andyross
Premium,MVM
Schaumburg, IL
Around here, Comcast has eliminated all analogs. ClearQAM is also going away soon now that the FCC said it's OK to encrypt EVERYTHING.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Looks like Comcast is not alone in having rate increases next year:

DIRECTV, Comcast & Dish Raising Prices
By Phillip Swann, TVPredictions.com - December 20, 2012
»www.tvpredictions.com/prices122012.htm

:
Robert Mercer, a DIRECTV spokesman, tells the Denver Post that his company plans a "moderate increase" in rates next year. He said he did not have specifics yet, but DIRECTV has traditionally raised monthly fees once a year by 3 to 4 percent.
:

FYI - DirecTV has announced the "specifics" now:

DirecTV to Hike Rates 4.5% in 2013
By Todd Spangler, Multichannel News - December 27, 2012
»www.multichannel.com/satellite/d···3/140927