share rss forum feed

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4

[iPhone] Bought wife the 5, restore from the cloud

The 5 arrived for my wife today and before I tinker I wanted to check with you all. I use my PC to backup my phone to iTunes, I set hers to use iCloud. So when I activate the new phone and restore from the cloud will that restore just settings, email etc or apps and music? Never used iCloud before.

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

1 recommendation

If she backed up to the cloud...it's a few buttons to press and she's good to go, everything should show up

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Thanks, I backed it up to the cloud this AM. Now for speed to restore, iTunes via USB or wireless N, which do you think would be faster?

dfc888
Premium
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

iTunes via USB is faster, if you have a lot of apps (especially large apps)... Because IIRC, restoring from iCloud will require you to wait for the device to redownload each and every one of your apps.

haroldo

united state
I don't think so...I restored and I thought everything showed up...it took a while, but if I'm not mistaken it did the apps, too

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11

2 recommendations

The Apps redownload from the iTunes store separately from the iCloud restore process. I think that's what Defcon888 was saying - with iTunes, the apps would be restored locally instead of redownloaded.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Thanks for the help folks. Got it done last night after dinner, man did that thing sync fast!

haroldo

united state

2 recommendations

Another Festivus Miracle!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
Sure is! I started the restore, went downstairs for a bit and then went to check on the progress and it was done.