ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

[iPhone] Bought wife the 5, restore from the cloud

The 5 arrived for my wife today and before I tinker I wanted to check with you all. I use my PC to backup my phone to iTunes, I set hers to use iCloud. So when I activate the new phone and restore from the cloud will that restore just settings, email etc or apps and music? Never used iCloud before.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

1 recommendation

haroldo

If she backed up to the cloud...it's a few buttons to press and she's good to go, everything should show up

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Thanks, I backed it up to the cloud this AM. Now for speed to restore, iTunes via USB or wireless N, which do you think would be faster?

dfc888
Premium Member
join:2003-07-22
San Bruno, CA

2 edits

1 recommendation

dfc888

Premium Member

iTunes via USB is faster, if you have a lot of apps (especially large apps)... Because IIRC, restoring from iCloud will require you to wait for the device to redownload each and every one of your apps.

haroldo
USA

haroldo

I don't think so...I restored and I thought everything showed up...it took a while, but if I'm not mistaken it did the apps, too

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

2 recommendations

Thinkdiff

MVM,

The Apps redownload from the iTunes store separately from the iCloud restore process. I think that's what Defcon888 was saying - with iTunes, the apps would be restored locally instead of redownloaded.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Thanks for the help folks. Got it done last night after dinner, man did that thing sync fast!

haroldo
USA

2 recommendations

haroldo

Another Festivus Miracle!

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

Sure is! I started the restore, went downstairs for a bit and then went to check on the progress and it was done.