Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gone Fishing
Premium
join:2001-06-29

4 edits
reply to Gone Fishing

[Info] Microsoft: You just got Scroogled!

quote:
w i n s u p e r s i t e . c o m
Google Throws Down the Gauntlet, Kills EAS Support
Google just declared war on Microsoft

There’s posturing and then there’s outright war. And make no mistake, Google just declared war on Microsoft.

In what appears to be an innocuous post to the Office Google Blog—it’s called Winter cleaning, for crying out loud—Google VP of engineering Venkat Panchapakesan—revealed that Google will be killing off its support of Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) for individuals. Google currently used EAS to sync Gmail-based email and contacts, and Google Calendar-based calendars to mobile devices, including iPhone/iPad, Windows 8 and Windows Phone, and even devices based on Android.

Oddly, Google will continue providing EAS for paid customers on Google Apps, as well as government and education customers. And it will allow devices that are already configured for EAS to continue working. So this begs the question … if you’re going to continue supporting EAS for millions of users, why cut of EAS support for millions of other users?

Because Google is declaring war on Microsoft.

More @ »winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/···-support

Winter cleaning | Official Google Blog
»googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/12/···ing.html

Related:

• Google drops Exchange ActiveSync. What does it mean for Windows Phone?
»www.wpcentral.com/google-drops-e···ws-phone

• Google drops Exchange ActiveSync support for free email accounts
»www.zdnet.com/google-drops-excha···cid=e589

• Google is dropping Exchange ActiveSync support for Gmail, hates being friendly
»www.neowin.net/news/google-is-dr···friendly

• Google makes Gmail sync harder on rival platforms by dropping Exchange ActiveSync for consumers
»www.theverge.com/2012/12/14/3767···ndar-and

• Google shutting down sync services in winter purge
»news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575593···ag=title

--
non nova, sed nove
primum non nocere

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

I suppose that is vaguely interesting if you use gmail...I don't so it doesn't affect me. I'd like to see Gmail DEAD as it has ruined email with its spying that is a lot worse than what Microsoft does.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Transmaster
Don't Blame Me I Voted For Bill and Opus

join:2001-06-20
Cheyenne, WY
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Just go on thinking Microsoft does not spy on you big time. Unless you purchase one of the e Mail clients that doesn't when you do anything on the Net you just might as well get naked in a glass house.
--
I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.
- Mark Twain in Eruption

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

Why do you think I would use Hotmail or that crap Windows Live mail or whatever they are calling it now? I got rid of Hotmail back in 2004 when Microsoft changed their privacy policy. We had a thread about it here.

I really miss Outlook Express. I now use Thunderbird and Sea Monkey mail clients and Opera mail for dslreports mail as Mozilla based mail clients do not work with dslr mail server (sending works but not receiving).

For important mail I use an offshore provider and encryption if I can persuade the other party to use it. Since most wont, I rarely use email except for things like forum registrations.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson