spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

marksss

@comcast.net

Recevied a phone call about a deal from Comcast seems fishy

Today I received a phone call from a local number here in Chicago from a lady telling me she's from Comcast. She told be because I have been a year with Comcast they can double my internet speed for an extra $8 per month (from 20/4), give me free basic tv with a receiver and credit my account $70 on the second billing cycle. I currently only have internet with them and don't need the TV offer, but since it's free why not? Only $8 more plus fast internet right? Right now I'm paying $62/mo for internet. The deals seems pretty good, but is it legit? Any hidden fees I could find out about in the near future? The lady told me they could even come with the receiver today, but when I mentioned I'd have to think about it she gave some crap about this being a today only deal. What are your thoughts?

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
comcast doesnt cold call their customers. it was either a sales rep being overly(in the wrong) ambitious, or fraud. I wouldnt believe she said. Same day installs only ever were a test program, i know cause my area tried it years ago.
--
I'm better than you!

RobWJas

@comcast.net
I wouldn't say Comcast never makes cold calls. I've received them, and when my parents where with Comcast they got a cold call offering higher speeds and premium channels for a small increase. They accepted the offer and everything went fine. MAybe they only do it in certain areas.

PthirusPubis

@comcast.net
reply to marksss
said by marksss :

... she gave some crap about this being a today only deal. What are your thoughts?

Whenever I hear "today only", I run the other way.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to marksss
they try all kinds of stuff when the techs aren't busy enough.

JJV
Premium
join:2001-04-25
Seattle, WA
reply to marksss
Google the number they called from.

Andrew J
Premium
join:2001-11-09
Lancaster, PA
reply to marksss
It is real. They bill advertisers based on the number of TV subscribers. Internet only subscribers don't figure in and that hurts.
--
Best Team.

Darknessfall
Premium
join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
We randomly see Comcast calls coming up but we never pick up and they never leave a message :P. We also get a lot of door knob ads from Comcast people.

nrobot80

join:2012-12-05
Union City, GA
reply to marksss
Cold calls are rare but happen from Comcast. When they are trying to get a number of subscriber in a certain market, they resort to cold calling and promise you all these extras that aren't included. Usually the one calling is from a marketing company that pays on commission. If its a same day install the tech will come to your house very late, like 8 or 9 in the evening after the tech has ran all his or her previously scheduled calls.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to marksss
Comcast calls people all the time around here. Some of the best deals available come from them calls. Its just salesmans trying to make a sale. Coming up on the end of the year. Historically has always been when comcast makes a super push for customers. Around here most salesman are now actual employees of comcast and not contractors.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to nrobot80
said by nrobot80:

If its a same day install the tech will come to your house very late, like 8 or 9 in the evening after the tech has ran all his or her previously scheduled calls.

No way any tech is taking a new call at 8 or 9 lol. This is made up fud, calls are put in an available timeframe period... Technicians are done at 6:30 typically unless a job is not finished.
Expand your moderator at work

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to trythisfirst

Re: Recevied a phone call about a deal from Comcast seems fishy

Shit when i was installing for comcast it wasnt unusual at all. Same day install means I kept constant contact with the sub and showed up as late as you wanted. Think the latest was like 1230 am so i wouldnt be saying no way. When techs take on same day install duties around here it means just that. Technically tho 1230 is the next day but i think you get the idea. Some of my most pleasant days involved these types of duties. Especially college move in days. 4 to 5 techs to each salesman. As long as the salesman was making sales they kept on going and kept feeding the work orders flowing.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to marksss
said by marksss :

The lady told me they could even come with the receiver today, but when I mentioned I'd have to think about it she gave some crap about this being a today only deal. What are your thoughts?

Legit call or not, nobody tells me that i am going to make a monthly payment on anything with a "do this today or forget it" offer.
--
Deeds, not words

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to marksss
said by marksss :

What are your thoughts?

You made a smart move, asking around/checking it out, before jumping at a suspious, unsolicited over the phone offer.

Even though many here have said it MAY be a legit offer, the penalty for being wrong and giving your account info to a scammer MAY be very high.
So if you have any misgivings, just hang up and report it to comcast security (who can probably find out if it's a real offer, an overzealous sales rep, or an outright scam (the "today only" would have me running away)

SeattleTech

@comcast.net
reply to trythisfirst
I used to be a tech for CONcast. It has nothing to do with how busy the techs are. The techs are pushed so hard to meet unrealistic metrics in such a small time-allotment for each job that they NEVER have any time and are ALWAYS busy. The crappy techs that show up are the ones that have figured out how corrupt and thankless CONcast is and are fed up with the criminal enterprise they have to work for.

The calls you are receiving are probably not even CONcast, they are probably a 3rd party sales outfit hired by CONcast (and you would never know unless you ASK). Alot of times they call people who are subscribers of specific service bundles/deals to convince them to change to another bundle (even lie to get you to change) so they can begin to phase out a bundle (the one you originally had). Once you change bundles, you will not get your old deal back if CONcast has discontinued your old bundle. They bait you with a promo deal, don't tell you exactly what the rate will jump to when your promo is over, and by the time your promo is over your old package no longer exists and you get stuck paying more.

They started doing this a couple years ago to stop "grandfathered" deals (legacy packages).

On a side note, I can say that if you think YOU are frustrated as a CONcast customer...try WORKING for them!!! They cannot do ANYTHING RIGHT!!! Their departments don't communicate with each other, minimal bookkeeping and account notes (they hate paper trails), SEVERELY ANTI-UNION, they require the workers to work unsafely (no rooftop safety program, no trolly-line safety program, no confined spaces training, no asbestos awareness training) and the supervisors are a bunch of low-life drug addicts that go home in the middle of the workday to play video games instead supporting their technicians (in Seattle where I worked, at least...and I caught them, the company defended the supervisors and now i don't work there because I was "not where I was supposed to be" ).

CONcast are CROOKS. In the time I worked for them I always treated the customers well because they deserve it. I also, however, suffered in my family life, friendships, and mental health working for these indecent human beings.

If you think I am just a disgruntled employee...so be it.
I guess I am disgruntled, and I have every right to be.
To read more about CONcast (especially in Seattle) visit www.comcastworkers.com to read firsthand how CONcast treats it's people and EDUCATE YOURSELF about what is happening behind closed doors at the criminal enterprise bringing you your over-priced, always-broken service.

CONcast (SEATTLE) is currently being heavily investigated by the NLRB and L&I on multiple charges. There is also a class-action wage dispute going on over theft of wages. All just in Seattle. Do not trust these people.

In closure, the reason your internet service is not reliable in Seattle is because Seattle is a high-tech area putting alot of strain on the network. The company is well aware that they need to split a substantial number of nodes to accommodate for this traffic. However, the local Seattle franchise is playing catch-up in West-Seattle still, replacing all the OLD 750mHz nodes (they are WAY behind to do this!). They have tied the majority of their budget up trying to remedy West-Seattle while the rest of the city is left to suffer because they have a monopoly and they know people will just keep waiting for a fix. The company will not adjust it's budget (actually, local leadership won't adjust the budget) to allow for the nodes in the rest of the city to be addressed (because if they don't make their budget, they don't get their bonuses).
SO ALL THE CUSTOMERS ARE SUFFERING SO A FEW GREEDY MANAGERS IN SEATTLE CAN GET A QUARTERLY BONUS.

You wanted the truth...You got it.
You wanted answers...you got them.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to tshirt
Don't know how it is to deal with "Comcast-Deals.info," but just came across this press release from them:

Comcast-Deals.info Offering Free Router and Modem for a Limited Time
Homes signing up for new service can receive both products for free

Los Angeles, CA -- (SBWIRE) -- 12/20/2012 -- Comcast-Deals.info has officially announced a new limited time offer, adding a free router and modem to the already low package new customers are eligible for. After paying full price for them initially, a person is reimbursed through a mail-in rebate offer right away.

Finding Comcast cable deals can sometimes be difficult. One of the issues is that many people want to bundle Comcast high speed internet service (»www.comcast-deals.info/highspeedinternet/) with cable and also possibly home phone service. Currently, customers can get just that for $99 a month for the first 12 months. This deal does not prevent a customer from also taking advantage of the router and modem deal as well.

The deal includes digital television, digitial voice and highspeedinternet, but it also includes an instant $200 in ClubSaveology Rewards with the order. This can help customers save even more money in the long run as they redeem those rewards for more deals.

To learn more about the current free router and modem deal, visit »www.comcast-deals.info.

About Comcast-Deals.info
Comcast Deals strives to bring the best promotions and specials currently available through the company. As an authorized dealer, the website can bring unique discounts that other dealers simply are unable to provide. All promo codes, mail-in rebates and more are thoroughly explained in the details located on the website. From bundles to individual services, everything is covered on the website.

Media Relations Contact: Abe Cohen
Source: Comcast-Deals.info
Posted Thursday, December 20, 2012 at 11:30 AM CST

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I do remember a comcastdeals, a .com, I think. not sure if that the same as Comcast-Deals.info which seems to have almost every combo of the words ONLINE COMCAST and DEALS redirecting to their site
As always I would call ComCast to verify that they are an authorized reseller as they claim and see if ComCast would directly offer a similar value (maybe a longer lower price and I buy my own router/modem, if I don't already have one)
Remember ComCast is not responsible for rebates, etc. not honored by resellers, and to read ALL the terms, as resellers count on many not filing for/not filing correctly for rebates which can make it much more expensive then a direct deal.
Buyer beware!

SauceMaster

join:2004-08-01
Kokomo, IN
reply to marksss
It's not a bad deal. Remember though if you have tv you get a internet discount , so that's about right on target price wise for internet and basic tv.

I've been on that deal because of the double internet speed. I guess it all depends on if that is a promo price or the no promo price if I'd bite or not.

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to gar187er
Comcast most certainly does cold call customers, my center has called thousands of times. All sorts of deals, especially like the one listed in op's questions. There are also many deals when a customer puts in a cancellation notice. Time Warner cable calls, Charter, Cox, and a slew of other companies call to current customers, (and new movers)

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to marksss
It was probably a reseller .

rody_44
Premium
Quakertown, PA
reply to gar187er
Same day installs started here around 8 years ago. They still run them to this date