Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

516V6 do I need a DHCP Pool and 2 IP's?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Do I need that DHCP pool and do I need both those static IP's?

thanks
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG

Premium Member

Depends what you're trying to do with it.

If you want to use the modem as a NAT router/gateway, then yes you will want a DHCP pool unless you want to manually assign IP addresses to all your network devices.

If you're using the modem in bridge mode (ie: with a separate router), then it doesn't matter. Leave it the way it is or delete it, won't make any difference.

Actually, in your screenshot it shows "Use DHCP Server: Disabled" so I assume you have the modem in bridge mode?

As for the static IPs, those are the IPs assigned to the modem on the ethernet interface. In other words, these are the IPs you use to access the modem configuration pages. Unless your LAN is in a different subnet from 192.168.1.0/24 or 10.0.0.0/24, I'd just leave those alone.

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel

Premium Member

Thanks for the response!

Yes I'm using it as a bridge for straight modem.
I have my router to handle the nat and firewall and DHCP.
I was thinking it may be safer to have just 1 IP to access the modem than 2 and noticed the DHCP pool and was wondering what its for.
I just want to make sure its as secure as possible and to get rid of anything I don't really need.

I will delete the 192 IP and the pool if that is ok for bridged?
Cartel

Cartel

Premium Member

I think this is by design, if I monkey with it, I only get 192.xxxxxx IP's on my router.
Guess it's set right already.