Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20

Re: [WIN8] most annoying thing in windows 8

Those bottom band alerts only started appearing in Internet Explorer 9.0 and up.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

That is what I thought. I never saw that in IE8 which I liked. I could not upgrade IE 8 to IE 9 on XP Pro so I never had IE 9...I suppose I could have put it on Vista on the virtual machine but probably that required the latest Vista service pack which I never installed. So, IE 10 is my introduction to alerts at the bottom.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

Dustyn

Premium Member

I can't wait to try out IE10 on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I won't be touching Windows 8 for a long time... or at all for that matter as Windows 7 has all the features and options I need for daily desktop computing.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

It may be good on Win 7 (except for the alerts being at the bottom).

As for Win 8...don't blame you at all for avoiding it.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn
said by Dustyn:

Those bottom band alerts only started appearing in Internet Explorer 9.0 and up.

Ah my bad. In firefox they migrated down there several years ago, and I suppose IE9 is now at least two years old too. Anyway, it clearly did NOT happen with Win8, and has exactly zip to do with a "smartphone design"
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What I want to know is why did Microsoft move them if not for some reason like cellphone design? It is awful having them at the bottom. A user would never think to look way down at the bottom to see if there an alert! An alert is supposed to alert you thus should be located at eye level or above on your screen.

The first time I saw one down at the bottom, barely readable, and part of it underneath the task bar, I thought I had gotten infected as that poor placement is what an infection would be likely to do not what the designers of the browser would deliberately do! So, I'd like to know Microsoft's reason for moving alerts to such a poor location and doing it so sloppily that they appear partly off the screen.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

What I want to know is why did Microsoft move them if not for some reason like cellphone design?

I dunno - the toast notifications in Win8, and Windows Phone 8, are at the TOP - not the bottom. So clearly it's not a 'cell phone design' to put them at the bottom.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, it's the Notification Bar in IE9+: »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· uestions

I assume it's at the bottom because it is in the content window itself, and covers the content under it. Putting it at the bottom impacts the least amount of content, so you can see the context for the notification (the site contents that lead to the need to be notified) and also because the user CAN ignore the notification without serious consequences.

That's just a guess, I didn't design the UI. I can live with it, it's not THAT onerous to look down to see the notification when one appears (or more likely when a page doesn't do something I thought it would...)

Ah... more google time... Here is one person's take on the change: »winsupersite.com/windows ··· tion-bar (Paul has plenty of insider access, his reasons are probably right.)
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Thank you! Paul Thurrot probably is right about the reasons.

It still makes zero sense to me. It is not in the least intuitive. Intuitive would be (1) if important, smack at the top where I can't miss it. If unimportan,t then don't have it at all. In between...don't have it at all then either. THAT is intuitive. Why in the would I need a browser telling me I started a download? What a browser should do in that case is switch to the download page so I can see the download speed and, at 40%, make a screenshot to prove to my ISP had bad my speed is.