Search similar:

uniqs

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2

Premium Member

Will federal tarrifs/tax on recordable media be dropped?

I don't know if this was asked in any of the other threads related to TS and the Voltage lawsuit...

If unauthorized downloading in Canada is now punishable in civil court, then what is the rationale or argument for continuing to have a tarrif or special tax on recordable media / memory that was meant to be distributed back to content owners?
singerie3
anon are muted
join:2008-10-12
Montreal, QC

singerie3

i think this tax only apply to music
vintagewino
join:2003-07-22
Grimsby, ON

vintagewino to sm5w2

to sm5w2
Even media that is used for purposes other than entertainment gets hit with the ummm, "fee".

Since when is a tax removed completely, and the price actually drops? Most of the CD media is tax, anyway. The ratio is almost the same as spirits.
cog_biz_user
i ruin threads apparently
join:2011-04-19

cog_biz_user to sm5w2

to sm5w2
i thought this fee also applied to hard drives, because of their immense size...?
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

I don't know if this was asked in any of the other threads related to TS and the Voltage lawsuit...

If unauthorized downloading in Canada is now punishable in civil court, then what is the rationale or argument for continuing to have a tarrif or special tax on recordable media / memory that was meant to be distributed back to content owners?

The downloading tax is distributed to music rights holders only. It was never intended for any other forms of content. E.g. downloading movies, MS Windows, Photoshop, ebooks, etc is still absolutely illegal.

ChuckcZar
@teksavvy.com

ChuckcZar to sm5w2

Anon

to sm5w2
I've also seen that green tax or tax or disposable tax on blank cd's blank dvd's and blank blu-ray discs. This tax is beyond criminal and our only recourse is to buy this stuff from America.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
When was the last time you've seen any tax go away altogether (and not replaced with another one)?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to cog_biz_user

Premium Member

to cog_biz_user
said by cog_biz_user:

i thought this fee also applied to hard drives, because of their immense size...?

No. It *only* applies to CD-R media (and also cassette tapes and minidiscs, but that's outside the scope of this discussion). The Copyright Board tried to add levies to a bunch of other media about ten or so years ago the federal court ended up turfing it at some point before it was ever implemented.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT to EUS

Premium Member

to EUS
said by EUS:

When was the last time you've seen any tax go away altogether (and not replaced with another one)?

And if it goes away, the retailer will just raise the prices. That's what happened when some government fee on airline tickets got eliminated south of the border. Ticket prices never changed.