uniqs

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

1 edit

mmainprize to evanooo

to evanooo

Re: [hard drive] cant recover deleted files from SSD

It is common practice to turn off the Recycle Bin on a SSD drive. Because of the limited writes lifespan, i guess the new SSD drives these tweaks may not be as important. The newer drive have some features built-in.

See here on pages 2,3,4,5 some the common tweaks of an SSD
»thessdreview.com/ssd-gui ··· guide-2/

But once the tweaks are done you have to be careful not to delete what you don't want deleted. But we all make mistakes sometimes.

This gives a detailed info on GC and TRIM on SSD's
»thessdreview.com/daily-n ··· -primer/

koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu

MVM

I just want to make it clear to some folks, specifically with regards to this "guide" (I haven't gone through it completely yet):

»thessdreview.com/ssd-gui ··· guide-2/

1. Do not disable the Windows pagefile. I repeat: do not. If you have a 2nd disk and you want to move it there and disable the one on your SSD, great. If you want to leave it on your SSD, also great. Just do not disable it.

The Windows kernel will actually utilise the pagefile for things which most people don't realise. Ex: when a driver is loaded into memory on boot, if that driver is no longer used/referenced (after some amount of time; it's adjustable in the Registry), the kernel will actually offload the driver and/or some of its memory space into the pagefile, freeing up system RAM. No pagefile = everything must remain in RAM no matter what.

Here are some other reasons as well.

If your SSD is so small that you're worried about the amount of space the pagefile takes up, then adjust the pagefile size to something smaller (though my advice would be to get a bigger SSD. More capacity = more room for wear levelling to utilise = your NAND pages will last longer). But please do not disable the pagefile entirely.

2. Disabling the Recycle Bin (i.e. when you drag things there they immediately get deleted) does not provide any improvement with regards to SSDs. The article (on page 4) says this complete and total nonsense:
quote:
This will assist in instant activation of trim upon delete for smaller files. ...
TRIM gets used when the I/O subsystem issues such things as file size changes (going from larger to smaller), or on actual file deletions. Whether you disable the Recycle Bin (i.e. files are deleted immediately) or leave the Recycle Bin enabled (i.e. files are truly deleted from the filesystem when you empty the bin), this as absolutely no bearing on SSD life, wear levelling, or performance.

When you drag a file to the Recycle Bin, all Windows does is actually move (not copy!!) the equivalent of the file inode into the subdirectory in the root of the filesystem called RECYCLER (I'm assuming NTFS here; it's called RECYCLED on FAT/FAT32. reference). The file doesn't actually get deleted (i.e. TRIM does not get induced) until you empty the Recycle Bin, hence why the above "guide" advice item is nonsense.

This is why I generally hate "enthusiast" sites, as more often than not they consist of dudes talking about things / giving advice who don't actually have any familiarity with the underlying design or protocols involved. Engineers like myself could spend our entire day, every day, for years, running around to forums/sites and explaining to people why these nonsensical "tips" are often wrong/bad -- and if we did that, we'd never get anything actually done.

I tend to recommend people read sites like stackoverflow.com instead, where "advice" and so on tends to be highly technical and can be ranked -- usually by other technically-inclined individuals. The site is not a "how do I get another 5 fps in Quake" type of site; it's more intended for people who actually want to understand technology, rather than "just fiddle around with things out of boredom".
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

FWIW, it's $Recycle.Bin these days (win7).