Search similar:

uniqs

dlarkin_dc
join:2009-08-24
Alexandria, VA

1 edit

dlarkin_dc

E-mail POP access down?

I can't log in to my e-mail - anyone else having a problem?

This is the second time this week. Hmm.

Mod note: Edited the title to reflect a wider outage area and stickied to assist people in finding the thread with current info.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

Re: [VA] E-mail POP access down?

According to the Facebook cox postings it's being worked on. Seems like all email is down.

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc

Ahhh! Seems like I should like Cox on FB!

Thanks for letting me know.

BillRoland
Premium Member
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
Its been dead for me for a couple of hours the email is getting seriously unreliable

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc

My last mail was 6.30pm (12/14) so it's been out about 6hrs now.

I know of two mails that have been lost (that I never got) this week and two outages this week.

Obviously something serious is going on, but I'd appreciate a heads up if there's maintenace or an outage...

Now we sit and wait.
betterdan
join:2002-03-20
Portsmouth, VA

betterdan

Down for me too in the Hampton Roads area.

KahunaNui
join:2000-05-01
Honolulu, HI

KahunaNui to dlarkin_dc

to dlarkin_dc
It's down here for many hours also.
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

Still down in Omaha.
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix to dlarkin_dc

to dlarkin_dc
Click for full size
per the cox website on the help support page

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to dlarkin_dc

to dlarkin_dc
Not that it helps those who are having problems, but it's working in SoCal.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
I've had no e-mail since roughly 6:00pm (eastern). I don't use it for business use so its not critical but the past couple of weeks its been very sporadic to the point I might have to just move to something else.
betterdan
Portsmouth, VA

betterdan

Still down this morning. Cox site says
"Some Cox customers are continuing to experience an outage with their Cox email service this morning. Restoring service remains our top priority and Cox technicians are making progress in this effort. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Our next update will be at 8 a.m. ET if services are not restored by then."

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to dlarkin_dc

MVM

to dlarkin_dc
I also have not been able to get into POP3/SMTP or webmail since last evening...

JeffinNOLA
@cox.net

JeffinNOLA to dlarkin_dc

Anon

to dlarkin_dc
Some people may need their primary email to pay bills and other things.

VA Cox User
@verizon.net

VA Cox User

Anon

Just spoke with Cox technical service a few minutes ago. Explanation was that they are having to change out a failing server. The outage was said to be national. They expect to be back on line at 9am.

oklajohn
@cox.net

oklajohn

Anon

Thanks for info about est time of repair. No Cox email in Oklahoma City since yesterday afternoon.
betterdan
Portsmouth, VA

betterdan

I hope it is really fixed by 9am but they have it up saying it will be this evening...

"Cox customers are continuing to experience an outage with their Cox residential email service this morning. Cox Business services are not affected. Restoring service remains our top priority and Cox technicians are making progress in this effort. Unfortunately, we estimate at this time service may not be restored until this evening. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. We will continue to provide regular updates throughout the day."

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to dlarkin_dc

to dlarkin_dc
Connection problems this morning in OC.

johnburns
join:2004-10-14
Oklahoma City, OK

johnburns

I just called Cox in Oklahoma City - a Cox representative told me email will not be restored until tomorrow (Sunday) - what a way to run an ISP!
ajwees41
Premium Member
Omaha, NE

ajwees41

Premium Member

They could have said not until next year. Maybe the want to run tests or need to replace hardware and test that.

jsimmons
MVM
join:2000-04-24
Falls Church, VA

jsimmons to dlarkin_dc

MVM

to dlarkin_dc
I use an alternate mail provider for most of my email, but check cox email for messages from Cox. I haven't been able to check that mailbox for several days now. Times out accessing the POP server. Sending mail thru the SMPT server is fine.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
said by jsimmons:

I use an alternate mail provider for most of my email, but check cox email for messages from Cox. I haven't been able to check that mailbox for several days now. Times out accessing the POP server. Sending mail thru the SMPT server is fine.

That's what the latest status states...

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
I still have nothing, either, going on about 18 hours....

bb44
@cox.net

bb44 to SoonerAl

Anon

to SoonerAl
Ughh..... Since when do ISP's inject notices? I was not on any cox site and the attached came up in Chrome but not firefox.

johnburns
join:2004-10-14
Oklahoma City, OK

johnburns

For those who want to check periodically to see if Cox Email is back up - try this - at least you know it's not just your pc.

»www.websitedown.info/web ··· .cox.net

KG_VA
@cox.net

KG_VA to dlarkin_dc

Anon

to dlarkin_dc
This is cable company email. Google, AOL, Microsoft and Yahoo! all provide reliable, free internet email access. I understand that an email system failure is a big deal, but anything provided by a cable company is going to be the Yugo of tech services. Sorry.

What is really burning me up about this is Cox keeps placing a browser pop-up in Firefox telling me that their email is down. I get it Cox. You can't run an email service. Now you can't run HTTP ether without hijacking my session to tell me of your other failings. Would an adult at Cox please, at least, get rid of the browser notices!!

Going to Verizon on Monday at this rate...
m8trix
join:2003-12-24
Chandler, AZ

m8trix

do you have the cox tool bar installed on your browser, if so try removing it

KG_VA
@cox.net

KG_VA

Anon

Hi m8trix, thanks for the reply. I do not have the Cox toolbar installed. I actually have a clean copy of Google Chrome, ad-blocker, updated anti-virus/anti-malware, etc, ...

FWIW, I did call Cox tech support. You should call them for issues today (as long as it isn't email, which is known). I spoke to a second-line tech who spent about 15 minutes with his supervisors and came back with the following:

(1) Yes, it is an in-line browser notification from Cox.
(2) No, there is no way to turn them off or opt out right now.
(3) It has not been rolled out systemwide, only some customers (no idea who or where).
(4) It will be used to report major outages, viruses, etc...

So that's the word from Cox. My personal take is that this is a really bad move by Cox and one which will make me look elsewhere. First, having invasive, in-line notices like this is just an open invitation for hacking, Cox has basically done the delivery work, now all a hacker has to do is add a payload (trivial task). Second, what stops them from expanding this to advertising, monitoring, content shaping and other more nefarious practices? Third, this could very well violate the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, Stored Communications Act, various States' Wiretap Acts, etc, ... so I can see the potential for a lawsuit over this. Just my $0.02.

dlarkin_dc
Alexandria, VA

dlarkin_dc

I get up the next day and still no e-mail coming in! I'm stunned that a comapny as large and established as Cox, and worse, an IT/ISP company, can hit customers with something of this magnitude. What about a little simple redundancy?

Oh well, tonight it's supposed to be... and still we wait.

BillRoland
Premium Member
Ocala, FL

BillRoland to dlarkin_dc

Premium Member

to dlarkin_dc
24 hours now. This is now at a point where its ridiculous.